SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
And Mobile, Alabama has a taller building U/C than anything we have U/C right now too. Its just a matter of time before Jacksonville starts putting up buildings taller than Miami's tallest. As long as the iron fist of the FAA is pushing down on our skyline we are just going to have to take quantity over quality (quality in height at least).

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
I wonder. What do you think would happen if say they wanted to make 1101 849ft. (as I am thinking the are aiming for) but the FAA shot it down to, oh, I don't know, 749ft. Well, what would happen if the builders built it to 849 anyway!?! First of all, how would the FAA know it was too tall? And second of all, even if they did, they would not make it come down! So why can't these developers just say, "Piss on this, I am building up!"? I think they should. The restrictions are rediculous here; and they were made by some paranoid lunatic.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
what about one on top of nordstrom, they can chip in on the cost.

actually i've got a proposal if nordstrom's gives or forever loans me about 500million I'll build them a skyscraper....hey, sears built the sears tower, shouldn't nordstrom build nordstroms tower?

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
what about one on top of nordstrom, they can chip in on the cost.

actually i've got a proposal if nordstrom's gives or forever loans me about 500million I'll build them a skyscraper....hey, sears built the sears tower, shouldn't nordstrom build nordstroms tower?
I like you logic. You know, there is a Chevron down the street from me in Pembroke Pines. Tomorrow I will put on my snazzy new suit, march my ass down to the manager, and make him an offer he could never refuse! I am going to eventually get about a half a billion or so, and build the Chevron Tower Centre Place Gas Building type thing. It will be all glass, super tall, super reflective, have a gas station base, NOT A PARKING GARAGE, AND a WATER FOUNTAIN in the lobby to LURE in visitors! And maybe a hotel room for people to nap while they fill 'er up. Count on it.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Miami as in Perfect said:
I wonder. What do you think would happen if say they wanted to make 1101 849ft. (as I am thinking the are aiming for) but the FAA shot it down to, oh, I don't know, 749ft. Well, what would happen if the builders built it to 849 anyway!?! First of all, how would the FAA know it was too tall? And second of all, even if they did, they would not make it come down! So why can't these developers just say, "Piss on this, I am building up!"? I think they should. The restrictions are rediculous here; and they were made by some paranoid lunatic.

that would never happen, and if the developer was stupid enough to do that he should be shot. First the developer would be breaking a federal law, a state law, county law and city ordinance. The structure would have a hard time being built because final elevations and blueprints must be approved by the city if not a building permit would not be issued.
second the faa would know because the cranes would probably need to be raised to about 900feet, which would be obviously noticed by them. If they were caught chances are the structure would need to try and conform to the originally approved hieght or face demolition.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
904 Posts
Envision this:

Dadeland Mall.

Each anchor store (Macy's, Nordstrom's, JCP, etc) is the bottom 2 floors of a 40-80 story residential tower.

The mall itself has 2 or 3 terraced levels of retail, with an additional 3 stories of townhomes lining each side of the concourse.

One set of ramps whisks residents directly to the upper floors of the parking garages, where they have reserved parking. The remaining ones lead to the lower floors of the garages, for both shoppers and guests.

People in the towers would have killer views, and the towers themselves would be far enough apart to permit abundant sunlight to reach both the skylights above the concourses, the townhomes lining them, the private recreational areas (for residents) above the garages, and the units in the towers themselves. Residents could shop and dine in air-conditioned comfort.

Of course, a condo there would probably end up costing a half million dollars for a tiny one-bedroom unit... :(

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
that would never happen, and if the developer was stupid enough to do that he should be shot. First the developer would be breaking a federal law, a state law, county law and city ordinance. The structure would have a hard time being built because final elevations and blueprints must be approved by the city if not a building permit would not be issued.
second the faa would know because the cranes would probably need to be raised to about 900feet, which would be obviously noticed by them. If they were caught chances are the structure would need to try and conform to the originally approved hieght or face demolition.

or not, with my genius plan. lol. it would be nice though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
At least Atlanta will lose the title they stold from Miami by cheating. Do spires count? But at least Miami has held one title since 1983, the tallest occupiable floor in the southeast, which belongs to the Wachovia Financial Center.
:tiasd: :bleep:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Im all for the dadeland super tower. It would piss off more nimbies than any other tower ever. Plus, I'd have a nice view of the tower from my parent's living room. However, while at Dadeland today I realised why this will never happen, Dadeland is thriving as it is. In the middle of a week day it was full of tourists that would buy anything. While waiting for a box of contacts I saw a woman buy a $600 pair of glasses that were ugly as sin. She bought them just for their price. Maybe if Dadeland was losing money it would try to build something. For now, they'll be happy with what they've got. But, maybe theyll replace the surface parking lots with garages and towers.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Miami as in Perfect said:
There is a precedent for this. Back in the late 80's, a skyscraper went up in NYC and topped oout at just a few feet more than the permit allowed. and the developer was forced to actually lop a few feet off the ornamental crown.

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
Dale said:
There is a precedent for this. Back in the late 80's, a skyscraper went up in NYC and topped oout at just a few feet more than the permit allowed. and the developer was forced to actually lop a few feet off the ornamental crown.
A few feet? Wow. That is pretty harsh! It really would not make a difference, but I guess the FAA is no joke. Maybe if it means the safety of our airways . . . WHAT am I saying?! lol. Build Higher!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
LIVEFROMTHE305 said:
forget dadeland, midtown would be a better place for the tower. anyone know the height restrictions in that area
Midtown has the toughest high restrictions of all. Anything over 200 feet has to get special FAA aproval. Planes taking off from MIA actually fly directly over the Midtown development.

·
Registered
326 Posts
dave8721 said:
And Mobile, Alabama has a taller building U/C than anything we have U/C right now too. Its just a matter of time before Jacksonville starts putting up buildings taller than Miami's tallest. As long as the iron fist of the FAA is pushing down on our skyline we are just going to have to take quantity over quality (quality in height at least).
I'm partial, living up here in North FL, but I would love to see Jax get the tallest in the state (it wouldn't be the first time), or the South for that matter. While I feel for you guys who want a supertall in Miami, I'm afraid what the FAA doesn't get, the NIMBYs will. So, the best hope of any city in Florida ever getting a supertall would have to be Jax. So maybe, someday, they will. Heck, if Nashville, or, for the love of everything holy....Mobile, can get supertalls, then Jax SHOULD at least have a chance....maybe.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Ouch. I did some research, and found out that Pinecrest NIMBYs actually could probably stop a huge 'scraper from going up across the street (and beyond their city limits), thanks to Dade County giving itself the right to veto any "project of countywide impact" it deems to be inappropriate and/or impose height, density, and FAR restrictions of its own -- even if the project lies entirely within an incorporated municipality like Coral Gables or South Miami.

Personally, I think the County is just using the FAA as an excuse to try and bitchslap the City a bit into submission. Traditionally, when big developers wanted to do something, they had to go kiss the County's ring (if not its butt). For the past 2-4 years, the County hasn't quite been feelin' the love anymore, and wants it back.

As long as the City of Miami was a weak, impoverished big town/small city that really had nothing but its name, it was harmless to the county government's ambitions. Now that it's becoming independently wealthy and doesn't have to play "Mother, may I?" with the County for everything it does, and can just say "screw it, we have enough money to pay it ourselves and do it our way right now, without having to bother with the county's BS" (like the Midtown trolley), the County is getting nervous. The last thing the County wants is for other municipalities, like Hialeah, Coral Gables, and North Miami to start getting all uppity on them...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts