1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which deli? ad calling to both sides of debate
By TORY SHEPHERD
06may06
INDIAN call centres should not be blamed for annoying phone calls, according to the man who sparked the controversy over the RAA "Which deli?" advertisement.

Suhit Anantula said yesterday that if anyone was to be blamed, it was the Australian companies that use the overseas call centres.

"The important thing to realise is that they are calling for Australian companies," he said. "Indian call centres are a very big business providing services all over the world. They are just providing a service."

The Advertising Standards Board upheld Mr Anantula's complaint that the RAA ad, featuring actor George Kapiniaris, was degrading and made "a joke of a possible cultural and social difference".

In the ad, 'George' complains about a call from a centre in New Delhi, India.

Mr Anantula said the complaint was triggered by seeing the ad repeatedly.

The RAA defended its use of the ad, saying "the truth is the 'Indian call centre' has become a metaphor for all the frustrations of dealing with impersonal organisations that compromise customer services."

Mr Suhit said that, while there was a problem with annoying calls from the centres, the entire country was not to blame.

"(The advertisement) is propagating the wrong view by people and increasing the intensity of people's antipathy," he said.

Mr Kapiniaris said he thought people were taking the ad too seriously. "When I read the ad, I didn't think it as racist.

"When I do my shows I make jokes about different cultures, and I've never had anyone, including Indian or Sri Lankan, come up and say I can't do that.

"What I do for a living is to try to get people to celebrate that we are all different and come from different places."

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Have no fear! Federal Government to the rescue!

Soon you can register your number to block all tele-marketing calls.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
The use of Indian call centre by Australian companies should be banned.

I once had one trying to sell me a credit card with "no interest" I told them they could get fucked and had no idea what they were talking about. There is no excuse for stupidity and in some instances the antics of the call centres actually cost companies money and cost them customers. I have lost count of the arguements I have had with Indian-based call centre employees.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys Guys this isnt about those anoying call centres, its about a another good add being banned thanks to people who dont have a life!!!

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
^^

Yeah but it might offend someone who could just look away or change the channel. Surely we have to think of these people. :lol:

But about the call centre thing, the blame should well and truly be put on the companies - the staff are just trying to make a living no matter thwere they are from.

Its just a kick in the face when companies put such a low value on customer service by outsourcing it to a low wage country who do have cultural and language barriers.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
This is about one over sensitive jack ass who complained and got his way like a spoilt little brat.

Maybe this guy should complain next about the actual call centers.

Avatar, the best calls are when they get angry at you.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Previously they wernt allowed to get angry but now they have defence! They can record you!

But since they rang you, they cant do anything with it...go figure.

·
6,555 Posts
Rev said:
Avatar, the best calls are when they get angry at you.
My other half's work has four lines, all with numbers in sequence. Sometimes they'll get telemarketers call all four lines, one after the other. One time by the time they got to the fourth line, another called the first line, so he put them on confrence call on speakerphone and hilarity ensued, or so he says.

·
Banned
481 Posts
If a call centre calls you at night, just do what Seinfeld did.

In a particular episode, he gets a telemarketing call. He says "Look now is not a good time I'm a little busy", or something to that effect. He then says something like "Give me your home number and later on I'll call you when you are at home". Obviously the guy on the other end says "no" and Seinfeld asks "What, you don't want me calling you at night at your house" and again, the guy on the other end says "no" and then Seinfeld says "Well now you know how I feel", and hangs up.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
[Gioяgos] said:
Previously they wernt allowed to get angry but now they have defence! They can record you!

But since they rang you, they cant do anything with it...go figure.
legally, you can choose not to be recorded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts