Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You're not a pretty horse
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I mentioned in "all day london" thread, I'm about to go to London for one day.
(In the end of August, probably, Aug, 26th)
According to this schedule:
http://www.indigostudy.com/london-sights-and-shopping-273-p.asp
From 15:30(as I will go to optional boat trip) to 18:00(maybe, i should arrive to the tube 50 mins before I go back to the group, who knows), i will have some free time, and now i wonder how to spend this time usefully.

My russian friends-Londoners confirmed me(as I visited TfL website) that I should take one-day travel card(1-2 Zones), which costs 8.40 pounds. But If I want to go to Stratford, i should take 1-3 Zones(2 pounds more expensive)

So, this is the places i want to visit during my free time:
Canary Wharf(as my friend works here)
Barbician
Probably, The Monument....

....And what do you think how many places can I visit?

·
Registered
18,918 Posts
I would just get an Oyster card and put £10 on it, it will never charge more than a day travel card and if you do go outside a zone then you don't need to worry about getting another ticket. Also you can go straight on the cable car with an oyster card with enough money on it without queuing for a separate ticket which is otherwise needed even with a paper travelcard.

·
Registered
18,918 Posts
It doesnt really mean that much unless you are going to a concert or event, its scale can be appreciated best from a viewpoint like the cable car. The cable car starts/ends at North Greenwich tube station which is next to the O2 so you can literally pop in for 5 mins.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Have a nice walk along the South Bank, maybe taking a trip across the river to St. Pauls, and back to Tate Modern.

You could finish up around the London Eye or Westminster Tube.

Loads of street life on the South Bank, and all free. Places like the Dome are a bit sterile in comparison.

·
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm about to follow the route which was posted by Potto
St Pauls -> One New Change (rooftop terrace) -> Guildhall via cheapside -> Gresham Street -> Wood Street -> London Wall (see the old remains of London Wall) -> at One London Wall go up the escalator/steps to the high walk (If you have an hour spare it is worth visiting the free Museum of London and the spooky tribute to self-sacrifice at Postmans Park at this point) -> Barbican via highwalk route -> City Point/Moorgate -> Liverpool St Station -> Heron Tower -> Gherkin -> Lloyds -> Leadenhall Market -> down Cornhill (check out the old water pump) -> Royal Exchange -> Bank & Bank of England -> Monument via King William St -> East Cheap & Great Tower Street (view 20 Fenchurch Street being built) -> just off Great Tower Street is the ruined church St Dunstan-in-the-East down St Dunstans Hill -> Carry on down Great Tower Street to Tower hill and Tower of London -> St Katherines Dock -> Tower Bridge -> London Bridge and the Shard -> Southwark Cathedral -> The Globe & Tate Modern -> Millenium Bridge -> St Pauls.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
If you are going to Hyde Park there is a small Russian food shop on Queensway, near the northern end of the Broadwalk in Hyde Park. Mid way between Queensway and Bayswater Tube stations. The food is expensive, but if you want a chat to some Russian Londoners, pop in!

Also in the nearby Queenway Market there is a Russian cafe and bookshop, food is simple but well priced and they have Russian TV!

Also running west off Queensway, the first junction if travelling north after Bayswater tube station, is Moscow Road, a nice photo opportunity to show your friends at home :)

Location: https://maps.google.com/maps?client...sway&oe=utf-8&gl=uk&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&authuser=0

Kalinka food shop: http://www.kalinkafood.co.uk/

Samovar cafe: http://samovarcafe.ucoz.com/

I'm not Russian but my partner is from Minsk and he said it's worth a visit. However he hasn't been back to Minsk for a few years so for him it is nice to see Kvas, Tarhun and Kefir, which we can't get in Tesco, so it might not be as exciting for you! Enjoy London :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

·
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, as far as I know, owner of Waterstone's is Russian... Mamut.

He saved this famous bookstore from crisis, and he made russian bookstore based on Waterstone's.

Is it located in the City?

Also, some of my friends didn't recommend me to visit London, as it it's too Russian(Moscow-upon-Thames)

So, Im here not to buy russian food and russian stuff

·
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, my modificated route(on bike/foot)
St Pauls
One New Change(down)
Milennium Bridge
(back to St.Pauls)
Cheapside(to the right)
Wood Street (up)