What will happen?

• Activity will fall massively, some areas of the UK forum may close

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I joined this forum at the beginning of 2004, its been growing at a tremendous rate with a huge number of members joining and only a small number leaving. Also when I joined, we only had forums for Manchester and Birmingham. Since then, London, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Glasgow, Wales, and the East Midlands have been added. Subforums such as City Talk and the Photo forum were deserted, now they are thriving thanks to a number of heated debates and the addition of the UPC. In the P&C, once dominated almost completely by London, a number of smaller cities have established a presence, keeping it very much alive. All of this has been helped by an economic boom in recent years which has seen all UK cities bursting with new projects, and a generally pro-development political environment.

But now times are changing. We are at the beginning of an economic slowdown where the demand for new projects in our cities is falling. Coupled with that the election of Boris Johnson as the mayor of London, an anti-skyscraper politician greatly threatens any new projects in the capital, a large slice of the development activity on the UK forum.

All this suggests we are going to have a lot less to talk about on the UK forum.

What do people think will happen? What can we do to help the forum stay active through the economic lows? Is it worth keeping it active?

·
Rock Lord
14,011 Posts
Buildings like the Shard in London, the Olympics and the Piccadilly Tower and Media City in Manchester will still be built so there will be lots of activity.

Transport wise, we have crossrail, Blackpool's new trams, Metrolink's Big Bang (a), Edinburgh's tram line construction, so all in all there is lots of things happening over the next four years.

·
Chief Bureaucrat
8,338 Posts
Should be fine with towers like Piccadilly and Lumiere in Manchester and Leeds. Lots of other projects started before the credit crunch hit hard, especially in the City.

And people are WAAAAY over-reacting to Boris Johnson being Mayor. Nothing will change with regard to skyscrapers.

·
Futurist
60,989 Posts
And people are WAAAAY over-reacting to Boris Johnson being Mayor. Nothing will change with regard to skyscrapers.
Yeah, right. Expect to see blanket bans on skyscrapers in Southwark, Lambeth, Wesminster, Kensington and Islington. They have already launched a full-scale "review" into every tower planned so far, and have pledged to reverse the changes implemented in Ken's London Plan. He has appointed a well-known anti-highrise campaigner as his chief planning adviser FFS!

As for Boris himself, and his other policies, I suggest you read this page and check out the many, many, many reasons he shouldn't have been elected:

http://www.stopboris.org/blog/2008/05/01/why-we-must-stop-boris-at-the-polls-today/

The guy is a fucking fruitcake, and a racist ****.

This forum will continue to grow, but London is going to see division and decline under his tenure.

·
Registered
16,033 Posts
Should be fine with towers like Piccadilly and Lumiere in Manchester and Leeds. Lots of other projects started before the credit crunch hit hard, especially in the City.
I think your in cloud cuckoo land over the Piccadilly and Lumiere projects because they are pretty much purely residential developments. 100's more apartments coming onto the market in city centres that have swathes of empty apartments that no one wants to buy...doesn't stack up for me. The prestigious big city office developments and to a certain extent schemes like Pan Pensinsula aiming for the top of the residential market in London I have much more confidence in.

·
Banned
21,548 Posts
I reckon that fully 9,000 of those posts of yours have been, how can I put this politely, er, padding!

I know most of mine could be seen as rambling crap... but that just isn't the same as 'padding'! Padding, on internet forums that are geared toward sharing ideas and debating, is such a pointless no no.. you should cease forthwith and just keep to proper comments... anything else is simply wasting your own time :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.