SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, you guys have probably all heard about the "Blue State" (Democrat/John Kerry)--"Red State" (Republican/George W. Bush) talk in the US. I was wondering if Canada could have voted in the 2004 US elections, what Canadian Provinces do you think would have voted for the Democrats (Blue State) and which would have voted for the Republicans (Red State)? You can tell me what you think the results would have been for all the Provinces, but I'd really like to hear from people in each Province tell me why their Province would have gone one way or another.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
to tell you the truth, even in Canada's most conservative province, Alberta, each Canadian province and territory would most likely vote for the Democrats.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
My thinking is that GW Bush is just really unliked in Canada due to all the trade issues and Gulf War II. Otherwise it would not be impossible for some provinces to go with a republican.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have no idea how the rest of the country would have voted if it were given the opportunity but I would have probably voted Republican. Not because I think there's anything particularly great about them but just because in the last election, Kerry didn't really say much different that Bush anyway. Just a case of the "Devil you know...."

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Likely Ontario's bible belt & rural communities would support Republicans. Same for rural Reform West.

All the cities would likely go Democrat, even Calgary.

Personally, I detest the two-party system. But Nader's no good either.

If the provincial boundaries were reconfigured, Bush will sure be able to win a couple of provinces.

·
living off Can. welfare
74 Posts
Canada would be all blue, there might be max one or two counties of < 1000 in Alberta or rural B.C. that would be red. If you go by Canada's election "riding" districts, Kerry would sweep the whole country. Calgary, Kamloops, Penticton, Kelowna, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Medicine Hat would all go to Kerry by a sizeable majority. Bush is just too right-wing for Canada. I voted for Harper, but I'd never vote for Bush the extremist.

And many people in the urban areas would abstain because they think John Kerry is too right wing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
touraccuracy said:
I would vote Republican... if it wasn't for Bush. He comes off as a fool, they need a new leader!

Does it matter who the leader is? The agendas remain the same.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Conservativism is different in Canada and the US. In Canada, Alberta is the most conservative province, but while economically, it might be similar to the Republicans, it differs greatly socially. More reason why Canada and the US should merge!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well if we were all living in the US and actually realized and understood the threats that we face in this world today and were not corupted by the canadian liberal media I am sure that we would vote more for George Bush than we think. Canadians think that George Bush is a moron and retard because here in Canada the masses hate him because it is popular to hate him. Popularism in canada is well, a popular trait of the average Canadian. If Canadians would sit down for a few reasons, think about what George Bush is doing in Iraq and what he is doing around the world and in the US, people would realize that he isn't as bad as we think he is. I hope that one day hating the US won't be a national past time because right now we are building a fence on our border with them; except, they are the ones building is, our anti american attitudes are the reason for its construction and if we are lucky, they will build a neighbour freindly fence but more likely they will give us the crappy side and paint it pink to boot. I am a supporter of the Republicans, sure they have some problems, but in the interests of Canada, as a canadian, GB is 10x better for Canada than John Kerry ever could be.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, I would agree that every province of Canada would have gone to the democrats. The mose conservative province in Canada is Alberta and in the US it would probably be considered a leftist province such as Mass.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Weezerfan said:
Well if we were all living in the US and actually realized and understood the threats that we face in this world today and were not corupted by the canadian liberal media I am sure that we would vote more for George Bush than we think.
Is the world really that much safer after the Iraq Invasion?

Seems to me that most of these terrorists are coming from Saudi Arabia & Iran instead.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The USA's Democrates are a bit further right wing then our Conservitive Party. The main reason George Bush is so unpopular in Canada is because he is bad for Canada. Increased security caused by fear mongering and the USA's illegal violation of the free trade agreement on soft wood lumber has hampered trade.

I dont think under any circumstances would a province go to the rebublicans at least not under George Bush.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well for one, I meant populism, I appologize for the spelling error, I am in the middle of cramming for final exams right now. I admit my writing isn't the greatest; maybe that is why I am in engineering. Well I am glad that I got a laugh or two but this thought that canadians are "morally superior" to americans is just bullshit. We should thank them for taking risks and standing up to the threats in this world.

And I really think that it is sad how most of you would put more faith in a 3rd world countries bomb making abilities than the worlds most technologically advance and democratic countries ability to defend itself. And realize that Canada is nothing without the United States. Do you think we would have near as much influence in this world if we weren't their neighbour?

No, we are not necessarily any safer after this invasion of Iraq, but change takes time, having a strong democracy in the middle east will pressure change in other states. If other countries wanted to help we could possible speed up the process, but we would rather sit on our ass and let these regimes kill there own people.

I know that many if not most of you dissagree with me and that is fine, I just want you to think before you insult me.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Weezerfan said:
We should thank them for taking risks and standing up to the threats in this world.
Thank you for wars that aren't even in Canada's interests, America! :weirdo:

Weezerfan said:
And I really think that it is sad how most of you would put more faith in a 3rd world countries bomb making abilities than the worlds most technologically advance and democratic countries ability to defend itself.
If anyone knows what this means, put your hand up.

Weezerfan said:
And realize that Canada is nothing without the United States. Do you think we would have near as much influence in this world if we weren't their neighbour?
Because of its neighbour, Canada is forced to play up the game of multilateralism even more so than usual.

Weezerfan said:
No, we are not necessarily any safer after this invasion of Iraq, but change takes time, having a strong democracy in the middle east will pressure change in other states. If other countries wanted to help we could possible speed up the process, but we would rather sit on our ass and let these regimes kill there own people.
Are you JOKING?! You do realize that stability and unrest in Iraq have NEVER been as high as they are now? Is Baghdad safer now than it was before? Afghanistan too has become so democratic that people are afraid to walk outside :hilarious

They'll help Iraq like they helped Vietnam (3+ million dead), Chile (still recoiling in aftershocks of US 'help'), Nicaragua (ditto), etc. etc. The fact that all of this 'involvement' is supremely illegal by international law is also something to consider.

Weezerfan said:
I know that many if not most of you dissagree with me and that is fine, I just want you to think before you insult me.
Perhaps having such an incredibly naive outlook on politics is why it is easy to insult you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.