SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, don't laugh... but I wanted to see how light rail would look in downtown LA at grade. So I played with this software and came up with an idea... I took some photos posted from others here, thanks if you see a pic that is yours! Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
403 Posts
LoL cool pics. But that doesn't seem "LA-ish" to me. Just my opinion. It reminds me of the Cable/Trolley Cars in San Francisco that share the streets with cars and people.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure what "LA-ish" means.... you know they are plannin on bringing back the Red Cars (street cars) to downtown... which is VERY "LA-ish".

·
Registered
403 Posts
vicecityguy said:
not sure what "LA-ish" means.... you know they are plannin on bringing back the Red Cars (street cars) to downtown... which is VERY "LA-ish".
It means...to me it doesn't look like it would fit; it wouldn't look right in LA. Hence....it is not "LA-ish"

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigDan35 said:
It means...to me it doesn't look like it would fit; it wouldn't look right in LA. Hence....it is not "LA-ish"
"look right"... hmmmm you mean look right to you? :bash: Ahh... so you are the person who defines what "looks right in LA".

How about the subway? does that look right for LA? Better yet, tell me what does look right for LA?

I don't understand why some people can't let their mind think outside the box. :runaway:

·
Registered
403 Posts
vicecityguy said:
"look right"... hmmmm you mean look right to you? :bash: Ahh... so you are the person who defines what "looks right in LA".

How about the subway? does that look right for LA? Better yet, tell me what does look right for LA?

I don't understand why some people can't let their mind think outside the box. :runaway:
Dude what you said pisses me off for some many reasons. First of all you posted the pics and ASKED for people's opinions and what they thought. What did I give you??? MY OPINION. And then you get on my case for giving it? Even though you asked for it? Secondly I clearly said "I don't like it....just my opinion" and then you say some bullshit sarcastic statement like "Oh so you are the person who decides what looks right in LA?" Which is completely ridiculous to say, after I clearly said "My opinion"

You don't understand why some people can't let their mind think outside the box? Jesus christ you are quick to jump to conclusions and all kinds of assumptions aren't you? Who said I wasn't letting my mind think outside the box? I did. And that is how I formed my opinion. And it still stands....I don't like the way it looks. JUST MY OPINION.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow very funny guy. Try looking in the mirror and getting some things straight. You asked for opinions. Yet, when I gave my opinion you jumped all over me making stupid remarks like "Oh so YOU speak for LA now?" Yea okay buddy. Good one. If you're gonna get all sensitive that I didn't like the idea then don't post.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You are right. I will move on. Because I know that YOU understand everything I'm saying. I leave you with a last line:

Next time you ask for opinions...make sure you can handle them and not get so sensitive and hurt over the subject. :bash: Toughen up that skin of yours, will ya?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I imagine from the way supporters talk about it that the new trolley will have a more nostalgic feeling. Which would be oddly out of keeping with the way the architecture is going. I think your depiction is cool but it looks like a high speed train (where is the train from?) I think something that looks like an open bus would be more appropriate to the scale and use of a downtown trolley, short trips, on and off. Not so imposing on the streetscape, visually and physically.

If (or when) downtown becomes multi-level (Grand Avenue will have some multi-level aspects) the trolleys will have their own level separate from pedestrians. But pedestrians should always be the number one priority Downtown if we want a living urban environment.

One thing your pictures don't show is how different the architecture will look in just a few years. Based on other posts here we are going to be living in a very space-age city where the ground plain is not so obvious and buildings work to break up the street lines instead of reinforcing them like the old buildings do. Like books on a shelf. The new buildings involve surface and volume in a way to activate the larger volumes behind the sidewalk and make them part of the urban dialogue in a way we haven't seen yet very much. Disney Hall is a good example, if extreme.

I also think there will be far fewer cars on the street than we have now, most will be taxis or limos, and alot more pedestrians. Private autos will seem so, well, suburban, you know, 20th century. Really backward and square.

The trolleys will share the street with bicycles, buses, shuttles, people walking, Segways?

-Tim

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
vicecityguy said:

wtf?

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
I like the composite photo's and the vision..! Did you all know that the Red Cars of the Pacific Electric Railway, would be considered "heavy rail" by todays standards.? If it were up to me i would be a steadfast advocate of NO at grade rail anywhere inside the downtown freeway loop, (the I 10, U.S. 101, I 110.). My reasoning for this is the fact that, the pedestrian foot traffic within this area will see a dramatic increase over the next 5 to 10 years, and Underground tunnels are prone to less damage in a seismic event, than surface structures. Plus the clutter and routing of pedestrian traffic around an at grade system would add more congestion to an already crowded steet grid..!.

Now by all means use the Freeway Median airspace for any type of mass transit, (heavy or light rail, monorail electric or air,) this could provide enough room for expansion of the system, or modifications to it..!

The surface streets of the downtown area will eventually be just pedestrian anyway as gasoline powered transportation is phased out over the next 50 years. eventually the entire street as we know it today will be walkways, or greenbelt's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts