SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the government have just announced that they will delay the decision on the future of HS2 until mid january 2012 as oppose to the original date of the 20th of december 2011. Given the support from many in the conservative part of the coalition for the project (and the clear need for the country to get national high speed ground transport, as other nations like france and japan have had for years now) it is most likely that the project will go ahead, despite fierce NIMBY opposition.

obviously, the state of britain's infrastructure means that there are other things that need to be done (as mentioned in the autumn review) but the need for high speed transport to get the economy re-balanced and growing is undeniable. Assuming that this project will go ahead, the government has announced that near the estimated construction start date, somewhere around 2015, they will decide exactely what system will be used for the new HS2 line.

the campaigners for a maglev system in britain, UK Ultraspeed, has confirmed that when the election process takes place, they will submit their case for the maglev system to be chosen. Personally, I believe it is the best system for the UK, which will allow us to leapfrog our system beyond what other countries currently have, rather than just cathing up. I also suggest that before anyone makes their discussions on this thread you visit their site, and watch the videos they have made, as well as those of the opposing systems such as the TGV and ICE trains in the interest of fairness and the truth.

http://500kmh.com/ This is the link to their website
And this is the link to their key points video

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
the campaigners for a maglev system in britain, UK Ultraspeed, has confirmed that when the election process takes place, they will submit their case for the maglev system to be chosen. Personally, I believe it is the best system for the UK, which will allow us to leapfrog our system beyond what other countries currently have, rather than just cathing up. I also suggest that before anyone makes their discussions on this thread you visit their site, and watch the videos they have made, as well as those of the opposing systems such as the TGV and ICE trains in the interest of fairness and the truth.

http://500kmh.com/ This is the link to their website
And this is the link to their key points video
Sigh, NO.

·
***Alexxx***
5,274 Posts
HS2: should we choose maglev? No.

Its just some gimmick that isn't used main stream for a reason.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agreed. We need to be connected to the continent to, which can't be done without astronomical cost with maglev.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,148 Posts
Its not such a ridiculous proposition. The initial cost is high indeed, but in the long run its much cheaper to run maglev than normal train. Its more efficient too.

It makes perfect sense to build it. Maglev is the future after all.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Yes. If were going to have high speed rail then why not have the fastest trains?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Its not such a ridiculous proposition. The initial cost is high indeed, but in the long run its much cheaper to run maglev than normal train. Its more efficient too.

It makes perfect sense to build it. Maglev is the future after all.
Really why would the running costs be lower?

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
not only for UK,i think maglev cost too much,lightrail will be better

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,148 Posts
Really why would the running costs be lower?
It uses power more efficiently, theres no wear and tear either on track or vehicle, theres no need for signalling system and its electronics need only minimal maintenance. Its cheaper, cleaner, more sustainable, more reliable and more efficient than a normal train.

So yes the initial costs would be high but the system would last much longer and need less maintenance, which means, that if one takes the long term view, it makes more sense to build maglev. It is sad, though, that the boring people with no imagination get discouraged by the cost and leave the future to Asia.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It uses power more efficiently, theres no wear and tear either on track or vehicle, theres no need for signalling system and its electronics need only minimal maintenance. Its cheaper, cleaner, more sustainable, more reliable and more efficient than a normal train.

So yes the initial costs would be high but the system would last much longer and need less maintenance, which means, that if one takes the long term view, it makes more sense to build maglev. It is sad, though, that the boring people with no imagination get discouraged by the cost and leave the future to Asia.
the actual costs of building a mile of maglev guideway compaired to a mile of conventional high speed wheel-on-track rail has been grossly over exaggerated. having studied maglev systems in my engineering courses, i have discovered that maglev systems can be built at the same price or even cheaper than conventional rail systems. the prices of maglev were used as a reason not to have the system in britain (that was the argument in 2006, when it was being considered but the then labour government scrapped the idea). this was because the then secretary for transport was strongly against maglev systems, for reasons which i dont know. but the main argument was that maglev costs up front were something like 3-5x higher than conventional high speed rail. it was in fact LIES. maglev, from what i can reason, favoures the UK because we currently dont have a national high speed rail system. this means we can build a maglev system which will be faster and more efficient than any other national transport system. this is important, because otherwise we would just be catching up on our competitors, rather than getting ahead of them. the chinese want to build a national maglev transport system, and they are the next major economy, so if we want to stay competitive we need major developments and projects like this to put us ahead.

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
It does amaze me just how little those who promote maglev actually think about this.

They have not even got to thinking about what the requirements of the solution are yet get straight to giving us their solutions.

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
Not really.

Just those who promote maglev on here seem to have no idea about what the requirements of the solution are that they have already solutionised.

Incredibly amusing that a bunch of amatures who don't think about what the requirements of the solution are think that the people working on delivering this solution are somehow misguided.

Click on the link in my signature, sums us all up.

We are in the lower percentiles.

Those developing the plans are in the upper percentiles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was the price the only reason for rejection?
they used the price as an excuse to get the public on their side about rejecting it. the main reason for the rejection was that the government at that time just didnt like it for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts