SkyscraperCity banner

Where do you think the Leeds HS2 station should be situated?

1 - 20 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey people,

Just thought I'd start a dedicated thread to HS2 in West Yorkshire, because in particular I'd like to hear your opinions for the location the station should be situated.

Like someone else who has already made a thread in the Sheffield sub-forum, I've (attempted, at least!) to put a poll on this to try and get a picture of what people think would be the most suitable site.

I personally think Crown Point would be the most appropriate place for the HS2 station, and, with good planning could really boost the development of the South Bank.

Whilst it's many years off yet for Leeds at least, I think it's a good idea to get a broad consensus on the matter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im unsure about this one. It all depends what sort of budget is allocated and raised for the development.

I personally think it would be beneficial to have it joined onto the current train station at Criterion Place, to minimise disruption to potential passengers. If your coming from Hull and need to change to HSR at Leeds, its going to be an annoyance to make your way from Leeds station and down to Crown Point by bus or foot. It would be a lot easier to simply change platforms in the Central Leeds Station. If some sort of tube line or road rial line could connect via the two, then Crown Point could be a good option given its easy access to the road netwroks. But again, that all depends oin how much money is put into the scheme.

Criterion is a prime site for any future developments. It could be good to see the current train station expanded into this with any potential project including office towers above the new station.

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
A station at Criterion Place (which won't happen considering todays progress for a new KPMG HQ there) would require demolition of buildings on the river in order to accommodate south-facing platforms. The station would also need to cross the river as the trains will be 400m long. If the platforms were east-west, even more demolition would be needed. Criterion Place will never be a rail station; bus interchange perhaps.

City Station offers some options if the car parks are moved, allowing for some long platforms on the northern side, but it looks like the plan is to build normal platforms here to increase capacity at City. Unless an expensive second storey is looked at like at St. Pancras, I don't think City is a realistic option.

Crown Point is the most likely, but if Wellington Place never comes to fruition, that could be an opportunity too, essentially a modern day Leeds Central. The only issue there is that it would require a tight curve south east, unless it paralleled the existing ECML, but this takes a hilly and developed route, so I think it should be assumed that HS2 will come in from the SE.

A site near Clarence Dock could be an option, but this is even further from City.

I suppose Quarry Hill could be the HS2 station, but then HS trains would need to share tracks with conventional services to get out of East End Park. Once you're at Neville Hill though, the line could curve SE through across Aire Valley towards Sheffield. The only thing is that it's a relatively tight spot and would probably require both curved platforms and major road reconfiguration.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Surely either building the Leeds HS2 station on stilts above the existing Leeds City railway station or alternatively underground (although that would certainly be expensive) must be preferable to allow HS2 to allow for easy interchange with existing rail services? With Leeds a planned terminus for HS2 what is the plans for running services to the North East and Scotland? Would it be a case of using the existing (and rather congested) Leeds - York line which would surely slow down services considerably or would a new high speed line be built from Leeds perhaps bypassing York and merging with the ECML somewhere just to the north of York around Poppleton?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd like to see it close to the centre of Holbeck with the Holbeck Viaduct used to connect both stations. This would really support the regeneration of Holbeck and Beeston and is also just off the M621.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Shiny_Dave said:
I'd like to see it close to the centre of Holbeck with the Holbeck Viaduct used to connect both stations. This would really support the regeneration of Holbeck and Beeston and is also just off the M621.
This ^^

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
Centre of Holbeck would be good, but are there any suitable sites? It will need to be a significant length remember. I believe the longest platform at City is still under 400m.

No HS2 lines will use the York & Selby lines. It will be a new fast line mirroring the SE Leeds Orbital and A64 to link onto the ECML. If HS2 ever extends northwards from Leeds though, I hope it does not serve York, but sees a new line sticking as close to East Leeds as possible and heading directly north for Teesside and Newcastle. I suppose following the A1(M) corridor is the most likely route.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I don't see why the HS2 trains can't use existing or lower-speed infrastructure for the last few miles into the station. It's not like they are going to go from 150mph to 0 in a few yards, and the benefit of having the station (more) central would outweigh any additional time taken.

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
I suppose tracks can always be relaid, but equally it's not at all ideal when Network Rail want to squeeze more tracks onto the throats into City.

·
Banned
15,377 Posts
anyone know why our loading gauge is a lot smaller than the continental standard? is ti just because our infrastructure is so old here in the UK?
Age.

The tunnels, bridges, line side equipement was designed to allow much smaller trains pass a long time ago in the UK.

European loading gauges are much larger llowing double decker trains etc.

Of course the classic compatible trains will travel on the HS2 network and will be capable of going on the old network and will do so to places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow etc.

However, Leeds will get captive trains that won't fit on the classic network.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last few miles underground would be best. Station at the Brewery Site but underneath the planned "City Park".. Maybe a connecting underground line to the current Leeds Station. then we could say we have an underground! Once one station is done it might be more financially sound for more.. Good thread folks, should be around for a while!!

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
That'll never happen on the grounds of cost. Why build a station underground when you can build one for probably 3/4s the cost, perhaps more, at Crown Point?

The nearest we'll get to that is perhaps a station with buildings above, but I doubt that too. South Central Leeds is not heavily developed enough to warrant any of that.

An underground line has not been built in this country outside London for decades; instead a preference for light rail has been shown, and even Leeds hasn't been able to secure that. Connecting the HS2 station and City might bring a tram line like Metrolink, but an underground is out of the question. The only place I can think where a similar idea exists is between Bank and Waterloo, but there are an enormous amount of passengers using that.

If NGT is built, I'm expecting an NGT spur to the HS2 station and nothing more.

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
This is confusing; we're arguing the same thing.

I was saying it won't go into City because Network Rail already want to squeeze another track onto the western throat to relieve conventional capacity- in other words there's no room for HS2.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm 99.9999999% sure the HS2 station won't be built next to or merged with Leeds Station.

Leeds Station is struggling with capacity now let alone 2033? Plus, aren't the HS2 trains going to be longer than Leeds Station can actually handle or potentially handle?

It seems that Crown Point is the most likely site due to it's existing rail links and would be draw people to the South Bank and extend the city centre southwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 99.9999999% sure the HS2 station won't be built next to or merged with Leeds Station.

Leeds Station is struggling with capacity now let alone 2033? Plus, aren't the HS2 trains going to be longer than Leeds Station can actually handle or potentially handle?

It seems that Crown Point is the most likely site due to it's existing rail links and would be draw people to the South Bank and extend the city centre southwards.
IMO it will be lucky to get to Birmingham let alone Leeds.

1 - 20 of 439 Posts