SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 1337 Posts

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unlicenced shops come under Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation scanner

Chairman of the standing committee on health, education and social justice in Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation (HDMC) Shivanand Muttannavar has revealed that as many as 5,000 shops running business in twin cities have not obtained trade licence.

Speaking to reporters here on Friday, he stated that as per a survey conducted by the revenue officials, there are 15,000 business establishments in Hubli-Dharwad out of which, 30 per cent are operating without licence. The HDMC has taken the issue seriously and has fixed July 17 as the deadline for all the 5,000 shop owners to obtain licence. If shopkeepers fail to get trade licence within the said date, the HDMC will close down all these shops and they have to once again seek fresh licence.

read more:- http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...ence-hdmc-hubli-dharwad-municipal-corporation

·
0821- City of Palaces!
35,149 Posts
That was a googly Yogendra lol :lol:

Congrats Hubli-Dharwad you all are free to discuss the names etc here....

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
HUBLI

Hubli , also called Hubballi , is a major city in the state of Karnataka of India . The name Hubballi literally means "flowering creeper" in Kannada . The twin cities of Hubli and Dharwad , collectively referred to as "Hubli-Dharwad", is the second-largest conurbation in Karnataka after Bangalore . While Dharwad is the administrative headquarters, the city of Hubli, situated about 20 km south-east of Dharwad, is the commercial centre and business hub of North Karnataka . Crops like cotton and peanuts are grown aplenty in the surroundingrural areas, and Hubli is a major trading center for both commodities . It is also an important city for the Indian Railways , being the headquarters for South Western Railway Zone and the Hubli Railway Division.

Unkal lake view
source : Wikipedia

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
DHARWAD

Dharwad , also known as Dharwar , is a city and a district in India 's Karnataka state.
Dharwad is the administrative seat of the Dharwad District . The municipality of Hubli-Dharwad (resulting from a merger in 1961 with its twin city Hubli , 22 kilometers away) covers an area of 200.23 km². Dharwad is located425 km northwest of Bangalore , on National Highway 4, the main highway between Bangalore and Pune in Maharashtra . The climate is mildly hot during the summer (April-May), and pleasant during rest of the year, as it is at an altitude of about 750m, plus still has a lot of greenery round.
The twin cities have a history behind them dating back to the Hoysala period. Dharwad is famous for its contributions to Indian culture, most notably to classical music and literature, and prestigious educational institutions, such as the KarnatakaUniversity. The Dharwad pedha - amilk-based sweetmeat - from this town is very popular.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharwad

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hubli's stinking problem

HDMC officials who are striving to make 'Operation Dirty' a success had better take note.

Their ambitious project that aims at making the city clean and shiny will prove futile if they don't address the public toilet problem on a war footing. There are no adequate number of public toilets in Hubli. The existing public toilets are grossly ignored. The mobile toilets installed by the corporation are in bad shape. Due to lack of maintenance, these portable toilets are filthy and stinking, defeating the very purpose for which they were installed. Hubli has nearly eight lakh population but there are no sufficient public toilets or urinals to meet the requirement. To fill the gap the HDMC installed 10 mobile toilets at different locations. But since they are not cleaned and maintained regularly, most of them are rendered useless. People avoid using them. And the garbage containers kept beside these mobile toilets overflow, turning the surroundings a dump yard.

read more:- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hubli/Hublis-stinking-problem/articleshow/14382029.cms

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Times consumer expo turns a crowd puller

HUBLI: Times Consumer Expo, a three-day shopping mela began at the Raikar ground in Hubli on Friday. An initiative by the Times Group, the mela was inaugurated by Murusavira Mutt seer Gurusidda Rajayogindra Swamiji. The mela has stalls showcasing the latest in real estate and automobile sectors, household items, electronic items, Ayurveda products, personal care products, furniture and garments. Over 70 products under different categories are up for grabs at the exhibition.

Hundreds of people visited the venue on the opening day. While women thronged stalls selling a wide range of cookers and utensils, youths took fancy to different models of bikes on display.
The expo remains open till Sunday from 11am to 9pm.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...turns-a-crowd-puller/articleshow/14373319.cms

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Organising Passport Mela frequently suggested

‘Increase number of online appointments to 450 a day’

The second day of the Passport Mela on Sunday at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) in Hubli received an overwhelming response.

On the first day of the Passport Mela, only 70 persons had approached the Hubli PSK. However on the second day, almost four times the number participated in the mela.

People from various parts of north Karnataka had reached the PSK before 9 a.m. on Sunday although it opened only at 10 a.m.

Many of them had come to know about the Passport Mela through the media while some had come after being informed about the same by passport agents.

The people were given the application forms for the passport and were asked to fill up the form manually. Those who finished filling up the application forms were then allowed inside to stand in the queue to submit their application forms at the counter. Many of the applicants were those who had already applied online but were unable to get the appointment at the Hubli PSK. Harish C. Patil, a teacher from Haveri, was happy that his brother Vignesh C. Patil (a BCA student) got a chance to directly submit the applications.

Smita Jadhav of Hubli, who used to work earlier in a stock broking firm, told The Hindu that she was fed up of trying to secure online appointment as her repeated attempts had failed. “Within two or three minutes after 6 p.m. the appointments would get exhausted. In fact, I had complained about the issue to the staff at the Hubli PSK. But they too were helpless”, she said.

“Surprisingly getting online appointment through the agents seems to be easy. They asked me Rs. 300 for getting online appointment”, she said.

Rashmi G. Huvin, an engineering graduate from Harihar had come to Hubli PSK along with her parents after having tried for over 15 days to get the online appointment. “I would log in by 5.55 p.m. but as soon as the clock struck 6 p.m. the website would suddenly become very slow. On a few occasions, appointment timings were displayed but by the time I selected one, there would be instructions asking to come back the next day”, Rashmi said.

Rashmi was naturally happy to get an opportunity to submit the applications directly. Although her application was not accepted for want of documents, the applications of her mother and father were accepted. Her father, Devaraj Huvin, said that such melas should be held more frequently.

While most of the applicants were thankful to the authorities for organising the Passport Mela, they felt that considering the number of people approaching the Hubli PSK, the number of online appointments should be increased. At present, the Hubli PSK is allotted 265 appointments each day. Considering the rush at the PSK there should be 450 appointments each day for the benefit of north Karnataka people.

Many people from different parts of north Karnataka participate in the mela

People said that they got to know about the mela from the media or the agents
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/article3567534.ece

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Dharwad to host Railway table tennis championship

The South Western Railway will hold the 60th All-India Inter-Railway Table Tennis Championship from July 5 to 9 at the District Sports Indoor Stadium in Dharwad.

Inaugurating the First Invitational Inter-Club Table Tennis Championship hosted by the SWR Sports Association (SWRSA) here on Saturday, Deputy General Manager of SWR and vice-president of the SWRSA U. Krishna Murthy said that many national- and international-level table tennis players would be participating in the event.

He said that for the first time, the SWRSA had hosted an invitational TT tournament and it had received an overwhelming response from TT clubs in Hubli, Dharwad and Belgaum. Lauding the initiative taken by the SWRSA in organising the event, Financial Adviser and Chief Accounts Officer of the SWR M. Ramachandran said that such initiatives would definitely encourage the talented table tennis players in the State.

Deputy General Manager of SWR and General Secretary of the SWRSA S.K. Gupta said the assistance provided by local sports associations had encouraged them to organise TT championship.

Seventy table tennis players are participating in the tournament being conducted on league basis. Anirban Roy Choudhary, Jaydip Das, Sagayaraj, P.R. Arun, Abhishek, Sahana Kulkarni are among the top ranked players participating in the championship.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/article3567535.ece

·
Hoo-Balli Singa-Pura
5,423 Posts
Organising Passport Mela frequently suggested

‘Increase number of online appointments to 450 a day’

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/article3567534.ece

2 years back, i also experienced same problem with getting online appointment for passport for my daughter, i tried for 2 consecutive days without success, later i had to go with agent and get my work done in tatkal, as my stay in hubli was only 10 days that time. May be there is some trick involved here.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Improving Hubli article on wikipedia.

HUBLI

Hubli , also called Hubballi , is a major city in the state of Karnataka of India . The name Hubballi literally means "flowering creeper" in Kannada . The twin cities of Hubli and Dharwad , collectively referred to as "Hubli-Dharwad", is the second-largest conurbation in Karnataka after Bangalore . While Dharwad is the administrative headquarters, the city of Hubli, situated about 20 km south-east of Dharwad, is the commercial centre and business hub of North Karnataka . Crops like cotton and peanuts are grown aplenty in the surroundingrural areas, and Hubli is a major trading center for both commodities . It is also an important city for the Indian Railways , being the headquarters for South Western Railway Zone and the Hubli Railway Division.

source : Wikipedia
Ellarigu Namaskara, I'm a new user, got to know of this forum by an email in Hubli-City e-group. This forum is far more active and I appreciate the enthusiasm.
Manjunath, as you may be aware, the Hubli article in wikipedia has become a mess and is in pathetic state. I want to improve it to a level where articles on Bengaluru, Mumbai or London are.
I noticed you have posted very nice images of Hubli city. I think your images are of bit low resolution perhaps you have used a cell phone to take them. I want to use some of your images in the article but I need good quality photos with high resolution, also you need to release the images under GPL/Wikimedia Commons license. May be you can use a digital camera if you have one.
What do you think? can we collaborate on that? help in this regard from other forum members is most welcome.:)

·
0821- City of Palaces!
35,149 Posts
Ellarigu Namaskara, I'm a new user, got to know of this forum by an email in Hubli-City e-group. This forum is far more active and I appreciate the enthusiasm.
Manjunath, as you may be aware, the Hubli article in wikipedia has become a mess and is in pathetic state. I want to improve it to a level where articles on Bengaluru, Mumbai or London are.
I noticed you have posted very nice images of Hubli city. I think your images are of bit low resolution perhaps you have used a cell phone to take them. I want to use some of your images in the article but I need good quality photos with high resolution, also you need to release the images under GPL/Wikimedia Commons license. May be you can use a digital camera if you have one.
What do you think? can we collaborate on that? help in this regard from other forum members is most welcome.:)
Welcome varuna,hope other Hubli -city-e group members follow you. Yes we need hi resolution pics. Manjunath you have a 12 MP camera,next time you go out please carry your camera with you.Dr yaqoob too has posted good images varuna,you check that in hubli-dharwad projects thread,loved his dharwad science center updates.

·
Hoo-Balli Singa-Pura
5,423 Posts

Welcome Varun, we need your contribution to this thread and other Hubli-Dharwad threads, are you living in Hubli/Dharwad ?

1 - 20 of 1337 Posts