SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1113 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
Since Huddlesfield is the largest Town in the UK
I thought its time to start this thread going.
Has anyone any info on the Concerning the press release of the £200 million Waterfront Quarter development?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Pharoah said:
Hi folks
I thought its time to start this thread going.
Has anyone any info on the Concerning the press release of the £200 million Waterfront Quarter development?
Big piece in the Examiner last night. Sounds like a really impressive development around the Chapel Hill/Manchester Road/River Colne area taking in the Sellers site. Sellers plan to relocate to a new factory elsewhere in town. Plans drawn up by Leeds architects (can't remember which) and the development is being marketed by Knight Frank. Some 500 apartments, offices, bars and restaurants with two new spectacular bridges over the river.Claims that it will be as big as Clarence Dock. Planning application expected later this year with start on site next year (but one report said 2006). Great news. Just hope they can make it happen.

·
Tax avoider
24,098 Posts
Pharoah said:
Hi folks
Isn't that a bit of a dubious claim to fame - along the lines of being the oldest virgin? :D

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
No I must admint I heard Huddersfield is the largest too. I thimk once I heard that Bolton was, but I think I'll go with Huddersfield, it seems to have a bigger feel. It has alot of improving to do though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
No I must admint I heard Huddersfield is the largest too. I thimk once I heard that Bolton was, but I think I'll go with Huddersfield, it seems to have a bigger feel. It has alot of improving to do though.
Yeah a lot to be done. But some good things already achieved with much more in the pipeline. And it seems there is a real appetite for apartment living, with loads of mill conversions in and around the town centre, so plenty of scope for more regeneration.

Lived there for a while; also lived in Bradford and Wakefield and believe me Hudders wins hands down, even before all the great projects now planned or underway.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
Town economy report 'paints bright future'
Andrew Robinson
BETTER office space, more restaurants and improved fitness facilities are on the way in Huddersfield – but the growth in mill conversions and 'city living' may not be sustainable, according to a report.
Property consultants Knight Frank have predicted the town's renaissance will continue apace but have warned of the need for more affordable housing and homes suitable for families.
Future housing market problems are likely because 70 per cent of land in Kirklees is Green Belt so developers will need to look towards urban regeneration to satisfy rising demand pressures, a report claims.
Mill conversions and city living apartments in good locations, which are reasonably priced, have sold well in recent years but Knight Frank questions whether enough people will want to buy them in the future.
The report warns: "Some local agents are concerned about the long-term sustainability of this market. To counter these fears, developers need to design properties that will appeal to a broad range of purchasers across all sectors of the market."
Economic growth is set to stabilise and show steady improvement, with growth for the next 10 years forecast to be an average 2.5 per cent annually in the borough.
Employment will continue to grow in Huddersfield, although it will shift from poorer performing areas such as manufacturing.
Knight Frank's report says public sector employment will also continue to grow, both in terms of health and education but also office-based services.
Entitled the Huddersfield Demand Assessment, the report was prepared for Kirklees Council and was launched today at a breakfast seminar at the town's Galpharm Stadium.
The council's deputy leader, Lib Dem Coun John Smithson, said the report confirmed that the town was buzzing with activity and opportunity and he added: "Over the past few years we have seen a number of developments which have transformed the town, breathing new life into some of our most beautiful buildings and introducing stylish town-centre apartments as well as state-of-the-art technical facilities for the University.
"Quality business parks are springing up to meet demand from businesses attracted by our proximity to nearby cities and our prime position along the North-South/East-West distribution axis.
"A new shopping centre and a well-thought out strategy for improving public space and streetscapes means our retail offer is now second only to Leeds and, with a host of nationally and internationally recognised creative talent based here, we were recently named sixth most creative town in the UK. Huddersfield's future looks bright indeed."
Ken Gillespie, Kirklees Council's director of regeneration, said: "Knight Frank have analysed the economic case for investing here and now we are keen to talk to developers and investors about ambitious schemes which can take the town well into the 21st century.
"It is a mark of the interest and confidence the industry has in Huddersfield that we are able to welcome over 80 property professionals to the launch event."
The report says economic growth will be supported by a continuing and a typical trend towards a growing population of younger residents.
Demand for new office space is also predicted to be extremely strong.
And demand for health and fitness and gym facilities is very strong and could mean operators will open more facilities. The same may also be true for bingo and snooker.
[email protected]

Key points of the study:
n Plans by Kirklees Council to move to a single or a number of larger new buildings could provide the catalyst for the development of a much-needed office quarter.
n There is an inadequate supply of quality industrial sites and premises and an over-supply of obsolete stock. The council is seeking to address this by increasing the supply of employment land.
n A key opportunity for new industrial development in greater Huddersfield is along the Leeds Road corridor.
n Although the town is still of interest to the fast food chains, many mid-market operators are now ranking Huddersfield high on their target lists.
n Developers of the Brittania Buildings are in talks with national restaurant operators and a mixed-use development on St John's Road will feature restaurant accommodation.
n Dreamloft Ltd's residential development on Chancery Lane, in the town centre, is expected to offer up to three bar and restaurant units.
n Planning permission has been submitted for an office and residential scheme on Gasworks Street that will include two restaurant units.
n There is a large development opportunity next to the Galpharm Stadium. De Vere may consider it for their 'village' concept for leisure, dining and conference use.
n Racket club operators such as David Lloyd and Esporta are searching for sites in Huddersfield. JJB is also after a site of up to 10 acres for a soccerdome (indoor pitches, a health club and retail unit)
n Several hotel operators are looking to move into Huddersfield, providing rooms, restaurants and conference facilities.
n Huddersfield is experiencing a mushrooming of single person households. Increasing numbers of people will be priced out of the property market.
30 November 2005

·
Registered
57 Posts
Huddz development

Hi guys,

Im new ere n jus thought id let u guyz knw about wots goin on in hudds! Some mega schemes in the pipeline like the waterfront quarter, st georges quarter, new media centre etc! Ill av sum renderings 4 u guys soon

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums Matty interesting plans for Huddersfield which has some quite nice and underated areas. Is there any plans for refurbishing a large empty former mill next to Huddersfield railway station as that really could be a nice development if done properly? Also is there any plans perhaps to improve the appeareance of the inner ring road perhaps by sinking that underground and to allow the suburbs to link easily with the town centre?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys thnx 4 the warm welcome! Yeh there is a mega scheme 4 the old st georges warehouse at the bak of the railway station. I think theyre guna build new office space, apartments n recreational area etc. The project is estimated to cost approx £50m n luks the business.

·
dE/dm
2,407 Posts
Mandale are reported to be working on a 500 unit student accomodation block in huddersfield, which is likely to be tall. No other information or location I'm affraid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys i need sum help plz! I want a section wer i can post all huddersfield pictures, how do i do this or can sum1 do this 4 me?

1 - 20 of 1113 Posts