SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resurrected
24,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took some pics of only a few of the over 600 teddies in my town - world famous for starting the Cow Parade...

Enjoy it, there are also some old town pic.

·
Resurrected
24,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw about 300 and pictured 100, this is only an excerpt :) Most of them from the Bahnhofstrasse and Limmatquai - there are more also in other neighbourhoods, but I don't know where.

The cinema is btw in the mainstation.

·
Resurrected
24,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the history behind:

- In 1986 the Cityvereinigung (that's the association of the shop keepers in Zürich's CBD) was decorating the center with hundreds of painted lions - that's the symbol of the city. Artists as well as children and shop keepers themselves could participate by making their own design out of 2 or 3 different lion models. The lions were standing during the summer in the streets - especially the famous Bahnhofstrasse.

- It took many years til they picked up the idea again, but it was a bomb! In 1998 they launched the Cow Parade under the title "Land in Sicht" (hope I remember it right) - literally Land ho! But also: "countryside in sight". Hundreds of cows were invading the city, and attracted especially tourists from all around the world. Mostly impressed was the mayor of Chicago who immediatly bought the idea for his city, then came New York and in the meantime most of the big cities had once a cowparade - I think this year it's in Warsaw.

- The cows actually were not to top, but 3 years later there was a pun: We are the city of banks - but "Bank" in German means also bench - so "Bankstadt" was the joke: again like the lions and the cows this time hundreds of benches were filling up the city. They were not very comfortable and also not very original, but the idea shouldn't die.

- So this summer (May to September) the focus is on teddies... why ever. As WH said: bears are the symbol of Bern and this city council was not very amused ;) So Zurich gave them in return a very ugly painted lion that they could put in the city hall or the like :) There was a speculation that the teddies (from Teddy Roosevelt) are a reopening of good connections to America (most of them were sponsored by Coca Cola) - the same time the teddies ware launched the city council and the Swiss government try to go into more friendlier negotiation and partnership with the USA...

What ever the idea behind was - it's not as good as the cows but better than I expected. A pity is only that because of theft and vandalism a lot of them already disappeared - and I don't want to know how they look after a footballgame against a Bern club :)

Another episode is: there was poor "Bärvers", even made it on CNN...

She was too naughty for the Paradeplatz according to the Cityvereinigung - one day before the opening they refused to place her on her reserved spot. Big uproar - the media were laughing about the nearly american-like moralists of the Cityvereinigung, the people were protesting and a lot of shops (and especially sex clubs and brothels) made big offers to exhibit her on private ground, where the Cityvereinigung doesn't have any influence :)

·
Resurrected
24,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As it seems the biggest workers union was trying to steal the bears last night as a protest action against the sunday shopping today - the police got a lot of them, but some have been deported to Luzern and Bern!

Even as more leftish guy I have to agree that these kind of "happening portests" don't solve any problems except for disqualify the organization itself. Such a thing because of a Sunday shopping but would not open their mouth against the ideas that the biggest discounter wants to replace the cashiers to computers... :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts