SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Futurist
38,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/huge-crane-smashes-into-apartment-block-1733909.html

Huge crane smashes into apartment block

By John Fahey, Press Association

Monday, 6 July 2009

Residents of a city centre apartment complex had a lucky escape today when a building crane and five-ton weight smashed through it.

The crane driver was seriously injured in the incident when he was propelled onto the roof.

He was taken to hospital and was believed to be in a stable condition.

The crane was working on a new block of flats at Tabley Street, near Liverpool's waterfront, when the accident happened.

Investigations have begun into why the crane arm ripped through the penthouse down through several floors of the multi-storey block.

Resident Sarah Banfield was in the building on her lunch break at the time.

She said: "My boyfriend Andrew and I were sitting in our bedroom when we heard an almighty bang.

"The whole building shuddered. It felt like it was literally shaking.

"We grabbed hold of each other because it seemed to go on for ages, we thought it was an earthquake.

"We looked down from our balcony and saw a girl sobbing.

"We tried to get out so opened our front door and there was dust everywhere.

"We went through the emergency exit but it was full of falling debris.

"I stepped across a hole in the floor which had bits of metal sticking out of it, I don't know how I did it.

"We got across and started running downstairs but there was no way out on the ground floor because the door was blocked.

"We ran back upstairs to the second floor where a builder helped get us out.

"We got absolutely drenched because of the broken water pipes."

James Berry, group manager for Merseyside Fire and Rescue, said: "It's fortunate that, at that time of the day, the majority of flats would have been unoccupied."

A Health and Safety Executive spokesman confirmed they were investigating.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Taking their toll – Four years of Merseyside crane disasters
Jul 7 2009
by Ben Schofield, Liverpool Daily Post

BEFORE yesterday’s crash, Merseyside saw at least 11 other high-profile crane accidents since 2006.

March 3, 2006 – St Paul’s Road, Wallasey – Kier North West – A mobile crane overturned while de-rigging, coming to rest on its counterbalance.

April 5, 2006 – Park Road West, Southport – Newfield Jones Homes Ltd – The boom section of a tower crane collapsed.

September 9, 2006 – Liverpool Arena, Liverpool – Watson Steel Structures Ltd – The securing bolts on a beam failed, resulting in the load sinking one metre to the floor.

September 4, 2006 – Rathbone Hospital, Mill Road, Liverpool – Graham Jones Crane Hire – The jib of a mobile tower crane unfolded in an uncontrolled manner, striking a security fence at the site perimeter after a rope failed.

December 13, 2006 – Lord Street, Liverpool – Laing O’Rourke – A gust of wind caused an uncontrolled jib movement. The tag line to the load became snagged, resulting in excessive tension on the load, causing the lifting point to fail.

January 15, 2007 – Colquitt Street, Liverpool – Iliad – Father-of-two Zbigniew Roman Swirzynski was struck by a 2.4-tonne concrete counterweight which fell from a crane. Winds of 82 kilometres per hour – 10kph above safe speeds – were whipping past it at the time.

February 12, 2007 – Richmond Park, Liverpool – Space 4 Ltd – One of two lifting clamps released resulting in a timber frame panel falling 20ft.

February, 2007 – Lingley Mere Business Park, Great Sankey, Warrington – A crane driver had to leap for safety after the machine he was operating overturned. The 5.7-tonne beam being lifted into place also narrowly missed two employees as it fell. Two construction firms were fined £20,000 each.

March 29, 2007 – Wavertree Technology Park, Liverpool – Richard Thornton, 46, was killed when an overloaded crane collapsed on top of him.

December 4, 2007 – Southport Wastewater Treatment Works, Marine Drive – Dearden Formwork & Steelfixing Ltd – The tractor unit of a de-rigged crawler crane became unstable when an unauthorised driver tried to reverse.

March 24, 2009 – Hilton Hotel building site, Liverpool One, Liverpool – Kier Build – A huge forklift truck smashed to the ground metres away from four workmen. The JCB forklift careered to the floor with its arm extended.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Huge cranes arrive in Liverpool to start removal of the crane that collapsed on to flats building
By David Bartlett on Jul 8, 09 08:39 AM

The massive cranes (800-tonne and 500-tonne) have arrived in Liverpool to start removing the crane that collapsed on an apartment building in the city centre on Monday.

As these pictures show it is going to be a mammoth task.

The operation to remove the 200ft crane is due to start at around noon, weather permitting.

Source: Dale Street Blues

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for the Update, You Have A Demag AC 700 With 700 tons lifting capacity to the left and on the right a Liebherr LTM 1500-8.1/

·
Registered
21 Posts
A few pics from March this year:

The building it collapsed into is the one to the bottom left of the picture

Hope u enjoy......
Just to point out the crane in the attached pictures is not the one that collapsed. The crane was changed over to a bigger one shortly after the photo's were taken.
II

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
I went down on Tuesday evening and there were still lots of police around. Park Lane was cordoned off with tape everywhere and I counted 3 police vans. It felt more like preparation for a protest against a coal fire power station. The 'best' view in terms of understanding the scale of what has happened is from Shaws Alley. I assume the police presence is to prevent looters?

But who is watching the police?

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
I went down on Tuesday evening and there were still lots of police around. Park Lane was cordoned off with tape everywhere and I counted 3 police vans. It felt more like preparation for a protest against a coal fire power station. The 'best' view in terms of understanding the scale of what has happened is from Shaws Alley. I assume the police presence is to prevent looters?

But who is watching the police?
Tut Tut Babs, in the words of the Police commander...." the site is still locked down ,as it may be a crime scene.....until HSE say otherwise"

Who`s watching the police ?..........could be the SSC Secret Service.....YOU:lol:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
^^:lol:

I've been looking for inspiration to do up our communal garden. If I do 100% the opposite of this one, I think I'll have nailed it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
A very colourful piece of landscaping in this thrilling gardening thread.

Ps. What's that red metal thing lying across the roof of those apartments in the distance anyone?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
^^ this is veering in to voyeurism/bad taste here chaps. Let's not forget the crane driver is still in a serious condition in hospital, 150 people are homeless. To the soft fuckin **** who posted "enjoy" pictures of a tower crane that had collapsed on to an apartment building....**** off dickhead.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts