SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
These are from around 1980

Looking towards Hull College. the Guildhall is just behind the building on the right

Barges on the River Hull

Myton Bridge under construction

Indoor market looking a bit dirty

Myton Bridge again

King Edward Street before pedestrianisation

West Street. The Prospect centre is now on the right.

More to come

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The 80s King Edward St pic - don't know what it is, but there is something about it I like - something to do with it free-flowing as 1 street, can't work out weather it's the road, pedestrianisation or the lack of trees?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now its kind of ruined by the tall trees that seem to block out any view along the street, except when they are bare. On the other hand i find the 1980s view along King Edward Street incredibly dull due to the buildings on both sides looking the same all the way along. So in that respect some grenery is needed to soften the view. It has also helped that the different shop units along the east side now have different colour schemes on the upper floors, but in the 80s it was light blue all along. So now its a little bit less obvious that its the same building and adds some variation.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Fruit Market with the recently built tidal barrier

Princes Dock Street. 1979 i believe. The Comet building on George Street is under construction

The same view in 1983.

Warehouse 13 and the recently built Anlaby road flats.

The next 3 photos are from roughly the same position

Now, well a few years ago.

A very different view to that of today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would just like to say how much I enjoy these old photos. Especially the ones of the old town in the 70's and 80's. We might think some of the areas are a bit run down today, but back then it was a lot worse. The whole area around the old Town docks was complete dereliction. It was though a marvelous playground for a young lad from Bransholme.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Jameson Street looks soo good there - how has it become soo tacky looking?

Is that grand looking building still there? Is it where Moben is situated?

I don't know what it is about Jameson St, but it's now the main route between St.Stephens and Princes Quay and should look better - maybe it's all the beige?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Its improved slightly in the last year with 3 units being occupied but i know what you mean. I imagined that when St Stephens was built it would raise the streets profile as a main east-west route through the city centre. 3 empty units have been occupied but i thought it would be due to more up market retailers moving there rather than a discount shoe shop

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,564 Posts

With Prudential Tower building
With Wilberforce Monument before relocation
Old Police Station
Albion Chapel and Royal Institute
Rank Hovis Mill
Grosvener Hotel
Lowgate before demolition (1970's) of the georgian buildings on the corner

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Seeing those, all I can say is; "fucking Hitler!" :eek:hno:

I still think it's a disgrace that some of British taxpayers money went on helping rebuilding Dresden's cultural buildings. If all those buildings above had survived, people from all over would flock to see Hull city centre - it's obvious loking at those why, in Portillio's train programme, he found out that 40 carriages (a day?) came over from West Yorkshire for trips to Hull.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,564 Posts
Seeing those, all I can say is; "fucking Hitler!" :eek:hno:

I still think it's a disgrace that some of British taxpayers money went on helping rebuilding Dresden's cultural buildings. If all those buildings above had survived, people from all over would flock to see Hull city centre - it's obvious loking at those why, in Portillio's train programme, he found out that 40 carriages (a day?) came over from West Yorkshire for trips to Hull.
Not forgetting the damage that has been done since the war.

This comparison, showing what was lost to make way for Castle St makes me want to kill :guns1:

The tight knit ancient density and 'Venetian' style island of the old town and the docksides took centuries to build, and was ripped apart in the space of 30-40 years.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Why was soo much destroyed? more than was needed for the road, that's for sure.

As they say thoguh, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Back then, perhaps those buildings would have been seen as old, decrepit, run down eyesores?

Had the Liverpool warehouses been converted by then?

If only Castle street was to one side of those warehouses.

21 - 40 of 342 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.