Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Bloody brilliant news. Im so chuffed to hear this :banana:

Queen Victoria Square looks incredible. Also pleased to hear the extending of the pedestrianisation to the whole of Jameson Street and up to Story Street. Would have rather it been all the way up to Prospect Street but you cant have anything. Its time for action to be taken against Manor fu*king properties who continue to drag this city down.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some good ideas. I've always been a fan of pedestrianisation in City centres. Though buses do use Albion and Bond St already, I'm not sure they are designed to take heavy traffic, and a crossing should be put across from Percy St to Storey St. There could also be a bottle neck around the soon to suitably named monument bridge. I really like the idea of steps down to the Princes Dock.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Great (and very welcome) news.

Bit annoying being more ideas I put forward to the council being used with no credit given, but it's the bigger picture that matters.

Some of you might remember me posting that I suggested to Hull City Council's regeneration team that they should look at either moving the William Wilberforce statue back to its original location, or to the crossroads at the end of Whitefriargate/Land of Green Ginger, as tourists don't visit the site it's currently situated, meaning it's not fulfilling its potential.

I also put forward an idea to glass over Beverley Gate and illuminate it (like the scene from Demolition Man in the museum), or to recreate the gate with a topiary replica, using the original bricks as the base.

The proposed new arena is planned for Albion Sq, but surely it would be better to get BHS to relocate and build the new arena as a focal point of the new square? (Obviously carefully moving the BHS mosaic mural to a new location & getting rid of a Manor Properties eyesore all in one go).

·
Registered
694 Posts
putting an arena on albion street would be pretty dumb. its surrounded by small roads, flats and shops and wouldn't be able to handle any volume of people. if this arena ever happens the only place for it is next to princess quay on all the wasteland. loads of room for the arena and parking and next to the a63. but the council would have to acquire the land i'd assume.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I wonder if the pedestrianisation of Jameson Street will increase the likelihood of the co-op refurbishment going ahead since it will become better connected. Or do others, like me, have little faith in this happening. Its location and size would lend itself to a large retailer, small department store.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if the pedestrianisation of Jameson Street will increase the likelihood of the co-op refurbishment going ahead since it will become better connected. Or do others, like me, have little faith in this happening. Its location and size would lend itself to a large retailer, small department store.
I'd prefer them to relocate BHS, and bomb that whole area. Create a temporary carpark for now, and then eventually look to develop housing/flats if/when the economy picks up.

We need to concentrate the town centre's retail offer on St Stephens, Jameson Street, Princes Quay & Whitfriargate. At the moment there are simply too many units that are too far spreadout.

Getting BHS to move to Whitefriargate or Princes Quay would breath new life in to either of those areas, while it isn't the most talked about retailer it still has a loyal following.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Netting is all around kingston house on bond street. Looks like it might be coming down soon!
Netting was put up around HRI but it wasnt demolished. I think its to just protect passers by from falling materials innitially with a view to demolishing it within the next 5 years.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Daz, I quite like your idea of relocating Wilberforce to the end of Whitefriargate. It would make for good, unobstructed sightlines. Whilst I'm not against it being moved to Queen Victoria Square, I can't help but think everything would look very cluttered - especially with the plans for Beverley Gate.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I posted it yesterday but it didn't seem to appear, guess i messed it up.

I'm quite pleased with the plans. Maybe 5-6k would be better but certainly not the 10k plus the jokers on the HDM comments want. Even with a 10k venue we wouldn't compete with Leeds/Sheffield/Manchester so a high quality mid sixed venue will do nicely.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts