Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 694 Posts

·
Fairy Godmother
576 Posts
I was 3 years old and living bang in the middle of all that back in 1986, fond memories, not at all as gloomy as it looks in those photos.

·
Far East London
7,523 Posts
anyone have any pictures of hulme shopping centre & libary? i have some very early and fond memories of my mum taking me to the libary when i was very young

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have some more pics lying around in boxes, i know for sure i have a panorama from John Nash made up of 7 photos, its a case of finding them. also some good ones of Gretney Walk

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I live in Hulme now, thanks for those its really helped me put it into a modern perpective. The main difference for me though is looking towards GMEX, look at all the run down Victorian buildings and garages. Hulme and Manchester have both definitely changed for the better,

·
Registered
707 Posts
WTF is all I have to say about those last few pics. It looks like a row of washing machines in a landerette! Not still there are they?

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No, that part of Runcorn was demolished and replaced with "normal" houses. And they renamed "Shopping City" to "Halton Leas Shopping Centre".

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Brilliant. It takes photos like these to realise how far we've come. My earliest memories of Hulme are of huge smoking piles of rubble. :yes:

I lived in Lingbeck Crescent for a short while when I was a baby in the late eighties, and saw the same block+highrise blown down in about 96. What an awful place, looks totally eastern european.

·
Fairy Godmother
576 Posts
Metrolink said:
Space - don't suppose you went to Chevasaut Primary school did you?

My mother taught there throughout the 80's.
Afriad not matey, I only lived there until I was about four years old then we moved to leafy Whalley Range and I went to St Margarets. :)

I've got tons of family photos of life in 80's Cresent Hulme I shall have to scan and post up - including tons of pghotros with Rainbows over the cresents, a sort of 'constast' my Mum was fond of snapping whenerv she saw one :)

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
oh yeah, they were shocking, towards the end, when derelict hulme looked and was as rough as it gets, practically a no go zone, even for the dibble.

I had a great geography teacher at school, cos i was bottom set, to get the yobs interested he opted for us to work on and sit the welsh GCSE exam and coursework. why? cos the bulk of it was about manchester, Hulme especially, do levels of multiple deprivation refleck the amount of imigrants in particular city wards.

Did anyone get to see the show at the Urbis last year about these cresents? there was a sculpture, which represented the blocks, and it had photos of the people (mainly students and dossiers, junkies and tramps) that lived in them.
Appartently they had searious cockroach problems, due to the under floor heating system.

Near the centre of Shefield there is a block of flats that resembles the cresents of Hulme, I believe its now a listed building.

I reckon they should have kept at least one Hulme cresent and restored it, to be kept as a reminder and example of what architecture was like at its most brutalist form.

·
Banned
208 Posts
EarlyBird said:
It really could be in an Eastern Bloc country. It's amazing the improvements they've made to this area.

Lol...you could have advertised East Germany as a paradise holiday location to the residents and done a roaring trade..... :runaway:

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
as you can see from the pic 'From bedroom window, 54 Harvington walk'

alot of the graffiti was done by art students from the universities, maybe it was a subconscious attemp to brighted and make this decaying monster more acceptable and less nightmare'ish to look at, cos lets face it, it was a horrific place.

1 - 20 of 694 Posts