Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,143 Posts
Cambodian PM makes 5-hour-long speech

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10825938&ref=rss

He's no Castro or Chavez, but Asia's longest serving ruler has set what appears to be a personal record for longest public speech: 5 hours and 20 minutes.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke to the lower house of parliament in a nationally televised speech Thursday that was mandatory viewing for civil servants.

Government spokesman Khieu Kanharith said he believed it was Hun Sen's longest speech in 27 years as prime minister.

Hun Sen, 61, spoke without taking breaks - or questions - mostly on sensitive border disputes with Vietnam. He blamed France, the former colonial ruler of both countries, for not clearly demarcating the border.

Politicians often use the border issue to stir nationalism and garner support, and Hun Sen is seeking re-election in 2013.

His speech was far from the lengthiest among world leaders. Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro frequently made five-hour speeches outdoors in the hot Caribbean sun in his heyday.

·
MBRkhmer
1,262 Posts
He said France maybe wrong measurement the border line and said Cambodia is bigger then the current number.... Then nowadays our land deep go inside VN 900+ ha but VN land deep inside Cambodia 2,000+ ha so totally we need to give back to VN 1,000+ha........ For what? Who know? Or only the both government know about this border issued?

Even if France made wrong measurement its just a number... Land is still land.. Why we need to worry and minimize our land to that old measurement without.. GPS etc..??????

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
I am just wondering, is it a real good 5 hours speech, or is it very repetitive.

How does he FORCE ALL students to listen to it.

·
MBRkhmer
1,262 Posts
Not only students but the govt officials as well... Something like force peoples to accepted what he have had said. And the opposition parliamentarian click the question button but it was not allowed.
Disappointed....!

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts

·
Banned
12,343 Posts
Cambodian PM makes 5-hour-long speech

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10825938&ref=rss

He's no Castro or Chavez, but Asia's longest serving ruler has set what appears to be a personal record for longest public speech: 5 hours and 20 minutes.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke to the lower house of parliament in a nationally televised speech Thursday that was mandatory viewing for civil servants.

Government spokesman Khieu Kanharith said he believed it was Hun Sen's longest speech in 27 years as prime minister.

Hun Sen, 61, spoke without taking breaks - or questions - mostly on sensitive border disputes with Vietnam. He blamed France, the former colonial ruler of both countries, for not clearly demarcating the border.

Politicians often use the border issue to stir nationalism and garner support, and Hun Sen is seeking re-election in 2013.

His speech was far from the lengthiest among world leaders. Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro frequently made five-hour speeches outdoors in the hot Caribbean sun in his heyday.
I wonder if Cambodia can survive without France intervention in 1850s. Take Champa as an example of Vietnamese cruelty.

·
In the br i g
2,250 Posts
He said France maybe wrong measurement the border line and said Cambodia is bigger then the current number.... Then nowadays our land deep go inside VN 900+ ha but VN land deep inside Cambodia 2,000+ ha so totally we need to give back to VN 1,000+ha........ For what? Who know? Or only the both government know about this border issued?

Even if France made wrong measurement its just a number... Land is still land.. Why we need to worry and minimize our land to that old measurement without.. GPS etc..??????
It is not true that Cambodia would have to give land back to VN, but it is in fact that Vietnam would have to give back 1,000 + ha to Cambodia. This exchange in needed in order to keep people living on both sides of the affected border to stay where they have been living for generations. For Marine border, Cambodia is still negotiating with Vietnam.

We know that land is still land, but Cambodia does not have any choice, but to use the maps made the French reconized by the UN that we have. Negotiating is an act of give and take. Everything has to be agreed by both sides. Of course, modern equipments, GPS, are used. You have to watch the whole 5 hours to understand it all. I generally don't agree much with PM policies, but I would say that this is the best of what Cambodia can have. Is there any other choice that Cambodia has to negotiate this border problems? I am sure that war is not an option. Khmer Rouge did that and failed, and gave the other side the reason to occupy Cambodia for a decade.

·
In the br i g
2,250 Posts
So overall, he saying we should give more land to VN . This is absolutely crazy thing i ever had. We lose so much land, island, etc already. Now you still want to give more land to VN because of your power ?
Did you watch the whole thing? I did and I did not see or hear that Cambodia should give more lands to VN. There is an exchange agreement. Based on the maps that Cambodia has in the UN and used to negotiate border with Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam, it would put 900+ha of Cambodian land deep inside Vietnam, and 2000+ha of Vietnamese land deep inside of Cambodia.

The PM pointed out that one way to deal with this issue is that move all villages that get affected on both sides back to each country. This would not work. Second is to make Cambodian villages become Vietnamese villages and make Vietnamese villages become Cambodia villages. This means that many Cambodians would become Vietnamese citizens and many more Vietnamese would become Cambodian citizens. This does not work either. So, the last option is the exchange lands, but keep the villages where they are. Because Vietnam has more 2000+ ha of lands inside Cambodia and Cambodia has only 900+ha of lands inside Vietnam, Vietnam has to find more than 1000+ha of lands to give back to Cambodia to make up the difference. So, I think this is a fair and correct way to do it. In the future, we won't see a straight line boundary lines at the border, but seesaw shapes instead because of the exchanges.

·
In the br i g
2,250 Posts
:nuts:

it an eyesore lecture only he could do
It was long, but the real substances would need only about an hour (Cambodians should the progress of the border negotiation). He took the opportunity to gather his base and make the opposition look bad so that he and his CPP could win again next election.

Your thread title should be something about the PM answering the NA members about the issue of boder negotiation with Vietnam, not Hun Sen forced all students to listen to his 5 hour long lectures. In fact, every Cambodian should know about the future of the border.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts