Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Hurstville, one of my local regional centres 15km south of Sydney (though technically it's not because I live in the Sutherland Shire, but it's just closer to me than Sutherland) and snapped these.

Compared to Sydney's CBD, the place is booming with six cranes on it's skyline encompassing four major highrise developments with another two or three major projects underway or about to start.

It's probably the fastest growing regional centre in Sydney at present, though it will never match the likes of Parramatta and Chatswood.

I'll let the shots do the talking.

Forest Rd

Empress Gardens

Craneage and lots of it

The crane is for this baby

Nine Storey Office Tower and new headquaters for the Illawarra Catholic Club now under construction

Medica

Render

The upgraded Hurstville Central and Hurstville Railway Station

East Quarter

Renders

·
SydneySider
133 Posts
nice to see Hurstville going through a healthy boom. It certainly beats the city in terms of construction activity at the moment.

·
Registered
77,344 Posts
last months snap of hurstville from stmartins tower in sydney,
i take one very month. ill try to get one this week.
its amazing how built up areas like hurstville is.
Just think hurstville is same distance from sydney as towns like Camberfield or chadstone is to melbourne. i dont think they even have highrise let alone skyscrapers out 15km from CBD?
then we have parramatta which is even further (20km) from CBD with 50 skyscrapers!

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
CAMPBELLFIELD is a predominately industrial area in the outer north western surburbs of Melbourne. It is approx 18km from the CBD. The outer north west doesnt sprawl out as much as say the outer East, South or South East as the north western and western suburbs were not historically seen as desirable locations to live, but the bassalt plains were ideal from mass industry.

Campbellfield is located near the International airport, the main northern rail link, the Hume Hwy and Hume Frwy, it is the location of the Ford Head Office Aust. and is suitable for logistics, warehousing, and both light and heavy industry.

The sprawl though, has now passed furthur north than Campbellfield but you will not notice it as it occurs in a corridoor that is disconnected from the main Hwy and the industrial landscape of Cambellfield.

Areas with noticable mid-high rises are Moonee ponds, Caulfield, Doncaster, Box Hill, Preston etc... obviously nothing on the scale of Sydney as prior to 2003 there was no city planning or incentive to build up, there is land aplenty down here without physical or man made barriers.

(just a quick description of why areas like cambellfield dont, and will never have high rises)

·
5,251 Posts
CAMPBELLFIELD is a predominately industrial area in the outer north western surburbs of Melbourne. It is approx 18km from the CBD. The outer north west doesnt sprawl out as much as say the outer East, South or South East as the north western and western suburbs were not historically seen as desirable locations to live, but the bassalt plains were ideal from mass industry.

Campbellfield is located near the International airport, the main northern rail link, the Hume Hwy and Hume Frwy, it is the location of the Ford Head Office Aust. and is suitable for logistics, warehousing, and both light and heavy industry.

The sprawl though, has now passed furthur north than Campbellfield but you will not notice it as it occurs in a corridoor that is disconnected from the main Hwy and the industrial landscape of Cambellfield.

Areas with noticable mid-high rises are Moonee ponds, Caulfield, Doncaster, Box Hill, Preston etc... obviously nothing on the scale of Sydney as prior to 2003 there was no city planning or incentive to build up, there is land aplenty down here without physical or man made barriers.

(just a quick description of why areas like cambellfield dont, and will never have high rises)
I think Culwulla meant Camberwell, not Campbellfield.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
No "finn", he would have meant Campbellfield, it is the same distance from Melbourne as Hurstville is from Sydney, and it's totally different - ie even more of a dump.

Hurstville sucks - awful transport interchange, dark/pokey Westfield.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
No "finn", he would have meant Campbellfield, it is the same distance from Melbourne as Hurstville is from Sydney, and it's totally different - ie even more of a dump.

Another load of political and continental dribble. Try again.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

They are building a new bus interchange in Woodville St along with a Pedrestrian link from it to the station including a second entrance from Forest Rd, which has commenced construction.

·
5,251 Posts
Nice to see more of Hurstville, I always feel it and Parramatta are underrepresented.

Do you have any shots of the recently done up railway station at all?
Here are some other pics taken by Fabian around the train station in Hurstville Central - a dramatic improvement on the previous state of the "Hurstville Supercentre".

As you can see from the first picture below, the station refurbishment is still underway:

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
CORRECTION:
The refurbishment of the shopping centre above the station, and ticket gates/ticket window is underway.

The shitty platforms aren't changing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Aren't ticket gates, ticket windows etc. part of the station? Arguably the shopping centre is too, as it's part of the station concourse. As for the platforms themselves, what kind of refurbishment can they do? Platforms pretty much look the same everywhere.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
A new ticket office and ticket gates is not a "refurbished station".

·
Happy now...
678 Posts
Great pics thanks Fabian.

Sydney is really developing a cluster of large urban centres nothing else like it in Oz.

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
Here are some other pics taken by Fabian around the train station in Hurstville Central - a dramatic improvement on the previous state of the "Hurstville Supercentre".

As you can see from the first picture below, the station refurbishment is still underway:
Indeed, the supercentre was a bit of an embarassment before, it's looking very good now! I look forward to pictures of it when the works are completed.

Thanks for the reply, Finn and thanks for the photos, Fabian!

·
Registered
233 Posts
im sorry to burst anyones bubble - but hurstville is one of the most disgusting places i have seen in Australia. me and my buddies call it the third world. its so "arcade" cheap.... it reminds me of town centers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts