7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The island of Hvar, Splitsko-dalmatinska county, Croatia

Length: 68 km
Width: 10,5 km
Surface: 299,7 km2
Length of the coast: 254,2 km
The highest peak: 628 m (St. Nicolas)

Hvar belongs to the central island group of the Adriatic and lies in an east-west direction at right angles to the coast. These islands together are called "The Hvar Group". The eastern promontory of Hvar is only 4.5 km away from the mainland, while the western one faces the open sea. It is the longest of the Adriatic islands. "Lower Hvar", the western part, is called the "head of the island", as its main area. Plume - the eastern part - gets narrower towards "the top".

Hvar (68 km long), is also the fourth largest in area (300 sq. m). The longitudinal road which links the town of Hvar with Sucurje at the eastern end of the island is 84 km long. The high plateau between St. Nicholas hill (626 m) and Hum (603 m) which extends from Sv. Nedjelja to Jelsa and is partly under pine woods and partly under arable land is marked by distinctive beauty and a fresh climate. The flat part of the island between Stari Grad, Vrboska and Jelsa is under vineyards which produce up to 50,000 hectoliters of wine per year.

Some towns on this island :

Starigrad town :

Jelsa :

Vrboska :

Hvar town :

Misc. of Hvar :

:)

---------------

p.s. this place is known for female tourists, mostly wifes getting nuts over the hot locals. Also, a lot of cheating has been going on there recently :( :D

bubach, shut up! :bash:

:)

:cheers:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Beautiful pictures !

I think I read somewhere that in a poll amongst Croats where they were asked which was their favourite Adriatic island, Hvar was the convincing winner.

I have not been to Hvar but did pass by it on a ferry one time. I will be in Dalmatia this summer and if I have some time I may try to get to Hvar.

Of the islands I have been to my favourite so far is Losinj in the Northern Adriatic. And for the uniqueness factor it would be the island of Pag, the stark landscape, particularly at night seems almost 'other worldly'.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Agree with you over the choice of favorite islands - Losinj and Pag, i might also add Cres and Rab to the list :)

In my opinion Hvar is cool, but is also far overrated. Hvar has been getting too much media attention, probably based on the fact it is the sunniest island in Croatia - as the title of the thread says lol.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
^^ Thanks Bubach. I haven't been to Hvar so I look forward to going there on my next trip.

·
Registered
674 Posts
bubach_hlubach said:
^^ Agree with you over the choice of favorite islands - Losinj and Pag, i might also add Cres and Rab to the list :)

In my opinion Hvar is cool, but is also far overrated. Hvar has been getting too much media attention, probably based on the fact it is the sunniest island in Croatia - as the title of the thread says lol.

I last went to Losinj & Cres in 1992 !!

My Ujac lives on Mali Losinj (my Ujna originally comes from Cres). Mali Losinj is a picturesque town, from what I remember it is nestled in a horse-shoe shape around the bay with the houses nestled in the hills amongst the pine trees. I think it is the largest town of any of the Adriatic islands? There are also some beautiful old Austrian villas there. Also I remember my Ujac telling me that Mali Losinj has a very mild microclimate so even in winter when some other islands get quite chilly from the bura, southern Losinj stays quite pleasant.

You can see the southern part of Pag island from my dad's village, we used to go fishing off that part of Pag island when I was a wee lad. One of my great grandmothers comes from Povljana on Pag :)

In summer all the islands are sunny, it is just that Hvar gets more sunshine in the colder months.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arpels said:
beautiful island, can you please put a map of Croatian coast coast line:?
Here is one map, the whole country - Croatia.
You can almost play with the map hihi :)

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
nice :eek:kay:

·
Banned
257 Posts
I've been there ... a great place ;) plus, I go on vacations in some place near podgora for 6 years, so I have the chance to look at that beautiful island every year some ~15 days :eek:kay:

·
קוסובו ה
1,409 Posts
Sta drugo reci do PRELJEPO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts