SkyscraperCity Forum banner
5921 - 5940 of 8062 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kolkata has an advantage of its location being towards east and no major metro city airport surrounding it. It also have an advantage of connections with all of the north east cities. Whereas Hyderabad is surrounded by Chennai and Banglore. Hard to cross Kolkata

Top six busiest airports in India for Year 2017 (Jan - Dec) :

1) Delhi
2016: 55631385
2017: 63451503
YoY%: 14%

2) Mumbai
2016: 44680555
2017: 47204259
YoY%: 6%

3) Bengaluru
2016: 22187841
2017: 25047272
YoY%: 13%

4) Chennai
2016: 17733375
2017: 19599438
YoY%: 11%

5) Kolkatta
2016: 14753437
2017: 18882179
YoY%: 28%

6) Hyderabad
2016: 14337154
2017:
YoY%: 20%

Source: https://twitter.com/MrrMukherjee/status/958641300072361985

·
Outsider
5,360 Posts
Kolkata has an advantage of its location being towards east and no major metro city airport surrounding it. It also have an advantage of connections with all of the north east cities. Whereas Hyderabad is surrounded by Chennai and Banglore. Hard to cross Kolkata
On the other hand, GAU is getting more prominence, and more and more North-Eastern Cities getting direct flights to the rest of the country (bypassing CCU). Badgogra, Bhubaneswar, Raipur and Patna are also showing strong Growth. CCU's catchment is being eroded. So current high growth may not be sustainable in the long run and CCU's growth will depend more and more on Kolkata's O/D.

In addition, CCU's airside is approaching saturation and they won't be able to add much capacity unlike HYD which still can be expanded in the long term (with 2nd runway, etc).

HYD overtake CCU in the long run, I feel.

·
Capt. Rohit
81 Posts
Malaysia Group flies out of Hyderabad Airport Stake

In a significant development, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) Group on Friday announced that it is exiting GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd (GHIAL) by selling its entire 11% stake to GMR Airports Ltd (GAL) for a consideration of $76.05 million (around Rs 487.64 crore or RM295.34 million).

The exercise is expected to be completed by April 30, 2018, subject to an extension of up to December 1, 2018, the Malaysian airport developer said in a regulatory filing to the Malaysian bourses.

GMR Infrastructure Limited too informed the Indian bourses about its subsidiary GAL entering into an agreement on February 2, 2018, subject to standard approvals, to acquire 4,15,80,000 shares of face value of Rs 10 each, representing 11% equity stake in GHIAL collectively from MAHB and MAMPL.

While MAHB holds 6,460 shares (0.1%) stake in GHIAL, its subsidiary MAMPL holds 41,573,540 shares (10.9% stake) in the Hyderabad airport operator.

On completion of the transaction, which is subject to approvals from the boards and shareholders of the two companies as well as the concerned regulatory authorities, GMR group's stake in GHIAL will go up from 63% to 74%. The other stakeholders in GHIAL include Airports Authority of India (AAI) and the Telangana government with 13% stake each. While GMR group did not divulge any details of the deal, MAHB informed Bursa Malaysia that the sale consideration was arrived at on a "willing-buyer willing-seller" basis after taking into consideration GHIAL's audited consolidated profit attributable to equity shareholders for the financial year ended March 31, 2017, of Rs 2834.2 million and net assets as at March 31, 2017, of Rs 3026.2 million.

The fair market valuation report prepared by an independent professional business valuer in 2017 and the future prospect of GHIAL in the concession-based airport operation and development business was also taken into consideration, MAHB added. According to the Malaysian airport developer, the proposed disposal of stake is part of its "portfolio rebalancing strategy" and is an attempt to "unlock its investment in GHIAL at an attractive value". The proceeds of the stake sale will be used for general corporate purposes and expenses in relation to the proposed disposal, it added. MAHB also said the gain from the proposed disposal is estimated to be RM255.14 million based on the total cost of investment (RM40.2 million) made in GHIAL in 2002.

Interestingly, MAHB's decision to exit GHIAL, which clocked passsenger traffic of 15.29 million and posted a net profit of over Rs 434 crore on revenues of Rs 1105 crore in FY17, comes after it raised $350 million through an overseas bond offering in October 2017. Last year there was also market buzz about the debt-strapped GMR group being in parleyswith Abu Dhabi Investment Authority to offload around 20-25% stake in the Hyderabad airport project.

GHIAL was set up in 2002 to design, finance, build, operate and maintain the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad in Hyderabad and the airport commenced commercial operations from March 23, 2008. The Build, Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) project is based on the PPP model.

Source: TOI

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are there any plans of GMR to celebrate the decennial anniversary at Hyderabad airport this year? I read somewhere KCR has agreed to be part of celebrations last year and lay the foundation stone for convention center as well.

·
invino veritas carpe diem
6,179 Posts
On the other hand, GAU is getting more prominence, and more and more North-Eastern Cities getting direct flights to the rest of the country (bypassing CCU). Badgogra, Bhubaneswar, Raipur and Patna are also showing strong Growth. CCU's catchment is being eroded. So current high growth may not be sustainable in the long run and CCU's growth will depend more and more on Kolkata's O/D.

In addition, CCU's airside is approaching saturation and they won't be able to add much capacity unlike HYD which still can be expanded in the long term (with 2nd runway, etc).

HYD overtake CCU in the long run, I feel.
Correct. 2018, IMO, will be a tough time for CCU. I am not expecting a double digit growth but somewhere around 6-7% for the next fiscal.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would disagree with that, guwahati had some problems.
Now they have opened newly and things would bypass Kolkatta.
You can check the second quarter numbers,by then flights would be fully arriving at guwahati airport.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thrice daily on the Hyderabad-Mangalore-Hyderabad sector from 25 March

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/I...nal-connectivity-with-7-ATRoperated-rout.html

Will operate two direct daily flights on the Hyderabad-Nagpur-Hyderabad sector, and thrice daily on the Hyderabad-Mangalore-Hyderabad sector from 25 March, the airline said, adding it will also operate two direct daily flights on the Chennai-Mangalore-Chennai sector from 1 May.

With new addition Hyd-IXE stands at 5 daily flights, I can't believe why there is such sudden increase in Traffic in this sector, may be 90s Kid can shed some light! I still remember not too long ago there were no direct flights to M'lore.

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/I...nal-connectivity-with-7-ATRoperated-rout.html

Will operate two direct daily flights on the Hyderabad-Nagpur-Hyderabad sector, and thrice daily on the Hyderabad-Mangalore-Hyderabad sector from 25 March, the airline said, adding it will also operate two direct daily flights on the Chennai-Mangalore-Chennai sector from 1 May.

With new addition Hyd-IXE stands at 5 daily flights, I can't believe why there is such sudden increase in Traffic in this sector, may be 90s Kid can shed some light! I still remember not too long ago there were no direct flights to M'lore.
:lol:

·
Outsider
5,360 Posts
The news of this addition was posted a few days back in the IXE thread. To me it looks like the typical 6E capacity dumping to fight SpiceJet on the route! But there are other considerations too..

A) Both LCCs were reportedly doing well with their respective single daily frequencies, Looks like O/D pax are steadily rising, so an additional frequency on a turboprop may not be a bad idea after all, but don't know about 5 daily! I guess we'll just have to see who blinks first. :nuts:

B) Apart from the "potential" of individual routes, we've also got to consider that IndiGo is heavily expanding in South India. With an average of 12 ATRs (1/4th of of a total fleet of 50) planned to be dedicated to the South, such rotations and frequencies are quite expected.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I noticed one thing though, that SG's estimated travel time between HYD and IXE is around 1:30 hrs where as 6Es is around 2 hrs. I know that Q400s are faster than ATRs but I was surprised to see such a difference!

5921 - 5940 of 8062 Posts