SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
AI is not a barometer to measure commercial viability. The poor airline does not know its exact quantum of debt, let alone the profitability of standalone routes,

Except NYC area (from BOM/DEL), other areas don't have premium traffic to sustain these long haul flights. The premium traffic predominantly originates from the US and the US airlines would be the first to pounce on the opportunity, if the routes are viable.

We will get the proof in the next 1-2 years if AI is successfully privatized. The US traffic has to go through scissor hubs till Indian per capita income atleast grows 3 times from where it is now.
I would add SFO flight as well into the bracket, there is heavy traffic for SFO-Delhi especially during weekends.
Air india is like premium in that route. People prefer Singapore and air india a lot here.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but Air India UK Regional Manager said AI will start HYD-LHR within a year or so along with MAA-LHR. He seems to be very confident about LHR slots.

First time an airline executive accepting the fact that south plays major role in international traffic.

Very interesting interview. About HYD at 1:27 minute mark.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/vid...t-from-london-to-bengaluru-1384305-2018-11-08
Need badly a flight to lhr for na Connectivity.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hyd international pax count could further increase before the end of this year. IndiGo plans to start 3 international routes from HYD once the pilot and crew shortage is tackled, in the following 3 sectors:
HYD-BKK
HYD-CMB &
HYD-RUH To know more, watch out for more in this space... :)
6E might start operating from KSA to key points in India by this year.

Also, LH could reconsider flying to HYD from Frankfurt. It would be a progressive growth for HYD altogether! :):cheers:
Lufthansa has been saying this for years about starting service. But there is no progress on this.
Is this some kind of clickbait or else serious news?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Air India marks beginning of new era in Fuel Conservation and emission reduction.

Air India flight AI 560 Delhi to Hyderabad operated on Boeing B787 (VT-ANK), first widebody flight pioneered with no destination alternate touchdown in Hyderabad airport.

Team led by Director Operations Capt. Amitabh Singh made this happen.“ tweets Air India

https://twitter.com/airindiain/status/1122708133170663424

Can you please translate this statement, what does this mean. What is no alternate destination?

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
The BOM-HYD-JED-COK and back rotation is operated by a pair of Boeing 747s. Those planes are old and are prone to frequent delays due to tech issues. Air India can afford to operate the Jumbos on scheduled flights only because the national carrier uses another pair of 747s for VIP operations. Else they're un-viable.

Once the VIP operations are taken over by Specially modified Boeing 777s (supposedly next year), the Jumbo will be phased out and the Route will likely become JED-HYD on an Airbus A320, leaving out the BOM leg (this is only operated because AI's maintenance base for the 747 is in BOM)

Switching the route to A320 might bring stability to the schedule.
Thats a good update, do you know when will PMO receive the 777's new ones?
Boeing is working on it right?
320 means less number of seats right, prices might increase.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Folks why do I feel like gmr is intentionally sabotaging Hyderabad where they want to have a controlled growth.
They just want to be a feeder airport to Delhi and not try to bring any international airlines.
We had Lufthansa and KLM, if they try little hard they will get it.
Comparable airports like Chennai and kolkatta have so much bigger international exposure.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Simple - Airline make profit on premium classes. Business and premium passengers prefer non-stop flights and their choice of partner air carriers. Companies are also restrictive to what type of airlines that their employees can take in terms of security and safety.

Therefore it all depends on how much Economic activity / business happens between Hyderabad and its counterpart city in Europe.

For most of the German and French firms, Mumbai and Bengaluru and to an extent Pune
was go to destinations for long time. Similar activity is being picking up in Hyderabad.

It wont take long for Lufthansa and / or Air France start services to Hyderabad.

Ref: https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-do-ai...hint-its-not-by-selling-economy-seats-1612010
Very good point, i had worked for a german company. In the past whenever question of travel arose they never booked anything except lufthansa. Even if it was twice the price of air india.
They just didnt want to travel on anything except Lufthansa.

·
Registered
456 Posts
They way I see it, it is only a matter of time before European airline companies start expanding into HYD... Right now we are seeing a wave of expansion of flights into BLR. Once that phase is done, the next city they look into will be HYD!! Historically that's been the trend... the only exception was when Emirates started through strong lobby efforts long time back, they expanded to other Indian cities other than Mumbai and Delhi after that...
Apart from London which is a bigger transit hub?
Frankfurt or Amsterdam or Paris?
Although Lufthansa sometimes flies to munich as well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Flew air asia from KL, flight was full except few seats on premium flat bed.
The flight had same issues like the old ones, people are so loud. Kids crying a lot. Everybody changes seats like crazy.

Airport experience, just wow it was so quick everything was so smooth.
Immigration was without issues. Customs was probably for the gold scanning. Baggage claim was little sluggish i think they are not upto the global standards. But then the helpers were pulling out the fragile luggage and passing on to the passengers.

Now comes the worst part, i forgot to book the prepaid cab. So when i went outside i got hounded by the cab drivers. Then they were fighting among themselves to get the passengers.
Then the bargaining no guarantee as to when the cab would leave to drop me.
It was a big hassle. I liked the airport, it still hasnt changed. Most irritating part was that of connecting to the airport wifi. I didnt have a local number and it didnt allow me to connect to the wifi.

Last time it was quite mellowed, but this time i felt like airport was full and there was so much crowd. Happy to see folks at midnight though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
HYD became a top route of MYS in liitle over a month and MAA has been connected for over a year is pushed to the second place. With Indigo starting we can see pax going up and we may even see a double daily. This route has a huge potential.

HYDERABADMYSORE 1,670 1,714 3,384
CHENNAI MYSORE 1,565 1,611 3,176
KOCHI MYSORE 1,311 1,225 2,536
DABOLIM MYSORE 1,244 1,267 2,511
BENGALURU MYSORE 937 1,037 1,974
May be there are lots of tourists on this route.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts