Passenger numbers for October 2021:

CityDomestic passengersInternational passengersTotal
Delhi34,19,0616,46,26840,65,329
Mumbai20,05,6353,10,37023,25,005
Bengaluru16,27,1081,13,65017,40,758
Hyderabad11,55,7901,53,03913,08,829
Kolkata12,07,85134,07612,41,927
Chennai7,96,0151,56,7039,52,718
Never realized that Kolkata has a higher figure than us in domestic. What would it take to get these numbers up again. I think after spicejet deploys the max then we might see some new connections. I don’t see too many additions from air India until March to give Tatas some time to stabilize.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Never realized that Kolkata has a higher figure than us in domestic. What would it take to get these numbers up again. I think after spicejet deploys the max then we might see some new connections. I don’t see too many additions from air India until March to give Tatas some time to stabilize.
October is durga puja month, kolkata always had an edge over hyderabad in this particular period, even last year it was the same, kolkata had higher pax even though it was marginal, i reckon we should be back on track already.

·
Registered
113 Posts
October particularly sees many passengers from and to CCU thanks to the Durga Puja festivities. However, even pre covid, CCU had more domestic passengers than HYD. That's not surprising particularly given that CCU is the gateway to the East and North East. Also Kolkata is the third largest metropolitan area in India, so the local market is huge.

For HYD though, as our local economy grows, there will be more domestic passenger traffic as more and more people from across India migrate to HYD. So its just a waiting game for now.

·
Registered
PrasadVivek
340 Posts
October particularly sees many passengers from and to CCU thanks to the Durga Puja festivities. However, even pre covid, CCU had more domestic passengers than HYD. That's not surprising particularly given that CCU is the gateway to the East and North East. Also Kolkata is the third largest metropolitan area in India, so the local market is huge.

For HYD though, as our local economy grows, there will be more domestic passenger traffic as more and more people from across India migrate to HYD. So its just a waiting game for now.
As per AAI data, the average footfall of CCU on dates like Nov 12, 13, 14 is 24K (Arrivals) + 24 K (Departures). That means the whole of November is likely to continue the same. I think the HYD footfall higher than CCU this month.

·
Registered
PrasadVivek
340 Posts
I think after spicejet deploys the max then we might see some new connections.
We do not trust SG so much. Their planes, their ideas no one understands. And when it comes to HYD there are very few flights they run from their 2nd hub. The situation was somewhat better before Covid. Most of the flights they currently operate from HYD are DH small aircrafts. The onus is on SG to restart the canceled JED service from here.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Kolkata definitely enjoyed a huge catchment area in the past but with development of airports in Bhubaneswar, Patna, Ranchi, Guwahati and other North-Eastern cities, its dominance in the East is on the wane, whereas Hyd's catchment area is still huge with a significant number of people from Maharashtra, Karnataka, AP (and Telangana) still having to rely on the city for lack of major airports in the near vicinity. Vijayawada could be a threat in the near future if it becomes the capital of AP. If it's Vizag, then Hyd is likely to grow much faster in the coming years.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
AAI - OCT 2021 TRAFFIC STATS FOR METROS

TOTAL (INTL+DOMESTIC) PASSENGERS:

1. DELHI- 40,65,329
2. MUMBAI- 23,16,005
3. BENGALURU- 17,40,758
4. HYDERABAD- 13,08,829
5. KOLKATA- 12,41,927
6. CHENNAI- 9,52,718

==
No fuss about HYD airport in this thread but performed well in October.

·
Registered
PrasadVivek
340 Posts
Vijayawada could be a threat in the near future if it becomes the capital of AP. If it's Vizag, then Hyd is likely to grow much faster in the coming years.
Is there a comparison between AP capital and Hyderabad development?:unsure::unsure:. One has to wonder if they are really at a level to compete with Hyderabad. The catchment area of HYD you mention is also facing heavy competition from BLR, MAA. The reason is obvious here. One has to wonder how many people in Andhra Pradesh are using HYD? People on the South Coast in particular are using MAA for transit and overseas travel. People of Rayalaseema use BLR.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you compare domestic pax figures in Oct every year for the past six years, the difference between Kolkata and Hyderabad is inching closer and closer. In the next couple of years, HYD should get past CCU even in its most busiest month, establishing clear dominance as the fourth biggest domestic airport in the country.

Month CCU HYD HYD as a percentage of CCU
Oct 2021 1,207,851 1,155,790 96%
Oct 2020 800,602 755,609 94%
Oct 2019 1,741,150 1,561,707 90%
Oct 2018 1,660,866 1,492,375 90%
Oct 2017 1,524,034 1,220,747 80%
Oct 2016 1,214,107 993,542 82%

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is there a comparison between AP capital and Hyderabad development?:unsure::unsure:. One has to wonder if they are really at a level to compete with Hyderabad. The catchment area of HYD you mention is also facing heavy competition from BLR, MAA. The reason is obvious here. One has to wonder how many people in Andhra Pradesh are using HYD? People on the South Coast in particular are using MAA for transit and overseas travel. People of Rayalaseema use BLR.
Yes, of course it will be a factor. May not be in the immediate five years but sooner or later, yes.

Regarding competition from BLR/MAA, of course HYD will not get the entire AP as catchment, just a big chunk of it. BLR/MAA is the least of HYD's problems since they are in one of the densest territories in terms of number of airports in the region, as someone already mentioned in the earlier pages.

·
Registered
PrasadVivek
340 Posts
Kolkata definitely enjoyed a huge catchment area in the past but with development of airports in Bhubaneswar, Patna, Ranchi, Guwahati and other North-Eastern cities,
It is mainly the CCU's local economy that is having the most impact on the domestic pax there. Migration from the city of kolkata is high, especially to Bangalore and Delhi. And from there VFR and leisure travelers are even more. Already the CCU Daily footfall has reached 53K. Need to know how much HYD's Novemebr footfall. I think there might be a little more than CCU. HYD's ATMs have yet to grow. I know there may not be a big difference in Pax even this month.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think once Guwahati new terminal opens up, north east traffic will be diverted to there. I still think Guwahati needs couple of good middle eastern connections. Ccu I doubt without the push from indigo with their Far East international traffic they can sustain big loads on international front. They still have good domestic numbers though. Is there someplace to check the yields by airport from indigo. It might give an accurate view.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
GMR Prime service to assist flyers

The Hyderabad International Airport on Monday announced its ‘prime guest service’, wherein a specially trained team helps passengers in need of assistance at the airport. The services provided include express check in, personalized passenger assistance service, porter service, lounge access and fast track security clearance, among others.

According to GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd. (GHIAL), these prime services will ensure a hassle-free boarding experience en-route to passengers’ destinations. “With an array of exciting services to meet your requirements, GMR Prime offers customised packages with professional assistance to corporate customers, leisure travellers, senior citizens etc. From the time you get dropped off to entering the airport for your travel, if you are a departing passenger or an arriving passenger, GMR Prime will be your go-to buddy,” GHIAL authorities said.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We do not trust SG so much. Their planes, their ideas no one understands. And when it comes to HYD there are very few flights they run from their 2nd hub. The situation was somewhat better before Covid. Most of the flights they currently operate from HYD are DH small aircrafts. The onus is on SG to restart the canceled JED service from here.
Honestly with their fleet issues I wouldn’t blame them entirely. They need Boeing max to be flying with their dash and old 737 Hyderabad was never in picture. They should look at profitability rather than domestic share which is quite useless according to me.

7541 - 7560 of 7579 Posts