SkyscraperCity banner

941 - 960 of 7085 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
thanks for sharing the new swajayr ...... what's the source of info plz ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Andhra Pradesh - Hyderabad Printer Friendly Page Send this Article to a Friend

Sonia to open airport on March 14

HYDERABAD: United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi will inaugurate the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad on March 14.

A press note from the Chief Minister’s office said that the UPA chairperson would be arriving in Hyderabad on March 14 and inaugurate the airport. However, the new airport will be commercially operational from March 16, said a press release.http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/08/stories/2008020858550300.htm

·
Registered
205 Posts
Puja tomorrow, trial flight on Tuesday

Hyderabad, Feb. 7: The Shamshabad airport will be ready for trial runs on February 12, a full month before its formal inauguration by the UPA chairperson, Mrs Sonia Gandhi. The GMR Group, which executed the Rs 2,478-crore Rajiv Gandhi International Airport project, will perform a puja on Saturday to propitiate the gods ahead of the trial runs and for a smooth opening on March 16. Officials from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation are to inspect safety norms at the greenfield airport soon.

Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines are set to conduct calibration tests on February 12 as part of the trial operations, with the Union minister for civil aviation, Mr Praful Patel, and the Chief Minister, Dr Y.S. Rajasekhar Reddy, in attendance. Senior civil aviation officials will verify data from the tests to determine whether the new airport is ready for commercial operations.

GMR officials said over 96 per cent of the airport work has been completed. The rest will be completed soon. “The airport will be right on schedule. It has been designed to cater to 12 million passengers and 1 lakh tonnes of freight per annum in the first phase,” said Mr Raja Gopala Swamy, chief financial officer of GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited.

“The new airport will be operational at 12.01 am on March 16. We are now working with our partners to enhance passenger experience,” he added. Lufthansa will be the first airline to fly out of Shamshabad airport. A direct flight between Frankfurt and Hyderabad is scheduled to arrive at the new airport at 12.25 am on March 16. It will take off at 2.00 am. The airport will be inaugurated by Mrs Gandhi on March 14.

-- WWW.DECCAN.COM

·
Registered
184 Posts
Govt may make connectivity part of airport projects

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=lmnu2&subLeft=1&autono=312977&tab=r

The airport authorities for Navi Mumbai, the next big airport project to be offered to private developers, have been asked to make connectivity a part of the project, according to senior officials in the Ministry of Civil Aviation.

The idea of making connectivity a part of airport projects is being examined by the government in the light of the experience of Hyderabad and Bangalore airports — both of which will be ready way before the access roads to them are in place.

“This could add a new cost component to the venture, but in the long run, it will be worth it,” said a ministry source. This has also been mooted by the private sector developers, who face the biggest flak if passengers encounter problems in reaching the facility.

In both Bangalore and Hyderabad, the project cost would have increased by Rs 500 crore to Rs 1,000 crore each if connectivity had been part of the project.

:bash:In fact in Hyderabad, GMR (one of the main consortium partner) had offered to take up the elevated highway project (which will cost around Rs 450 crore) but the Andhra Pradesh government did not agree, arguing that the group would be bagging too many of the prestigious projects in the state.
However, since L&T is one of the partners, company sources feel that they could have built the access roads with as much ease as the roads within the premises of the airport.

The elevated expressway (a joint venture of Simplex Constructions and Som Dutt builders) is to be completed by September 2008 but the progress on the ground suggests that the basis of that claim is far from obvious.

However, the price of this is being paid by both the facilities now, as access is the biggest problem staring both airports in the face, as they get ready to start commercial operations next month.

A task force has been set up by the Planning Commission to push and ensure that there is improved connectivity between the four privately managed airports in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad and the rest of the city.

All the four facilities have submitted their plans and recommendations, which the task force will help facilitate by coordinating with the state governments. This has been felt necessary in view of the growing traffic congestion and consequent time taken to reach the airports from the city centres.

In Bangalore and Hyderabad, this has become a critical issue, with many residents against the new airport facilities on these grounds alone.

While in Hyderabad, work on this front is progressing (the state government is pushing ahead at the behest of GMR), in Bangalore, the pace of progress is painfully slow, if there is any progress at all.

unquote

I dont understand the mind set of govt if GMR was doing good job for the given projects whats the problem in allocating this fly over, may be we would have seen much more progress with connectivity if GMR was given ORR/fly over projects

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Source: NewsPost

New International Airport To Be Inaugurated March 14
Friday 08th of February 2008
A new international airport is almost ready here and will be formally inaugurated by United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi March 14, two days before it becomes commercially operational.

The government had earlier invited Sonia Gandhi to inaugurate the airport March 16 but it announced late Thursday that the formal inauguration would be held two days earlier.

The Rs.24.78 billion ($601 million) Rajiv Gandhi International Airport is coming up at Shamshabad, about 25 km from here on the Hyderabad-Bangalore national highway.

The flight trials are scheduled next week. Sources in GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd (GHIAL) said: 'Almost 96 percent of the work is complete and the remaining will be over before the end of February.'

The GHIAL authorities are working round-the-clock to give finishing touches to the upcoming facility.

The officials also made it clear that the existing airport at Begumpet in the heart of the city will be shut down once the new airport becomes operational.

The installation of equipments in the 70-metre-tall Air Traffic Control (ATC) tower is complete and it is set to be handed over to the Airports Authority of India (AAI).

The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) is inspecting the facility to ensure they are compatible with international norms.

After month-long trials, the commercial operations will be shifted to the new airport.

Munich Airport has been entrusted with the responsibility of shifting the entire operations from the existing airport to the new airport.

'From 1 a.m. March 16, all flights will be diverted to Shamshabad airport,' an official source said.

The new airport incorporates the best of facilities in Oslo, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore airports and promises to take Indian airports to a new level.

GHIAL is a joint venture of GMR Group (63 percent), Malaysia Airports Holding Berhad (11 percent), Airports Authority of India (13 percent) and the Andhra Pradesh government (13 percent).

In its initial phase, the airport will be capable of handling 12 million passengers and more than 100,000 tonnes of cargo per annum. The full capacity of the new airport is over 40 million passengers and one million tonnes of cargo in a year.

The 4,260-metre-long runway - India's longest for civil aviation - is A380 aircraft compatible and complete as so is the equally long parallel taxiway that can also be used for emergency take-offs.

The seven-storey passenger terminal building built by the China State Construction Engineering (Hong Kong) is spread over 100,000 square metres. The 42 parking bays, cargo building, apron and fuel farm are also ready.

The airport will have 60 check-in-counters with Common User Terminal Equipment (CUTE) and 16 self check-in kiosks. The 2,500-sqm complex will also have 12 contact boarding bridges, 45 immigration counters and extensive retail and shopping outlets.

The other special features include fuel supply system on open access basis, an airport village and a business hotel of 308 rooms near the passenger terminal building.

·
Registered
240 Posts
what does it say in .hmmmm another indian language :)
its Telugu. it took me good five minutes to read that sentence, since i am pretty weak in both reading and writing, only fluent in speaking, i guess...

anyway, whats that second word in that sentence, "sivarlalo", mean? based on reading the whole sentence, i am assuming that it means something like "outskirts" or "country side"? i am pretty weak in complex telugu vocab :nuts:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
its Telugu. it took me good five minutes to read that sentence, since i am pretty weak in both reading and writing, only fluent in speaking, i guess...

anyway, whats that second word in that sentence, "sivarlalo", mean? based on reading the whole sentence, i am assuming that it means something like "outskirts" or "country side"? i am pretty weak in complex telugu vocab :nuts:
hmm ..... 'sivarlalo' means 'outskirts' and u guessed it correctly ...

translation:

"Countdown has started for the opening of International Airport being built on Hyderabad outskirts. Related preparatory works are going on at full pace. (Picture indicates) checkin trials at shamshabad airport in this context"

:cheers:

·
Registered
240 Posts
hmm ..... 'sivarlalo' means 'outskirts' and u guessed it correctly ...

translation:

"Countdown has started for the opening of International Airport being built on Hyderabad outskirts. Related preparatory works are going on at full pace. (Picture indicates) checkin trials at shamshabad airport in this context"

:cheers:
i always thought it was pronounced "chivarlalo", anywho thanks for confirmation

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
well, 45 immigration counters looks to be a very good number that it can handle more international flights in an hour ... i'm not sure if even delhi or bombay has so many ... hopefully they'll have atleast (half a) dozen security lines ...

how are they gonna separate international arrivals/departures from the domestic ones ? guess those 45 immigration counters are for the int'l arr/deps ... right ? don't think any airport will every publish the terminal layout, do they ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Airport Hotel

Guys....Any renders on the airport hotel? I couldn't find them.
'cos they need to build a hotel with a good design to compliment the Airport and by looking at the construction pictures.....it does not look attractive (it is just my perspective).
Just wondering wat u guys think about it?

·
Ramesh
970 Posts
I believe 'Telugu' itself means ' As sweet as honey' -

The script in the above pict, nice as it is, might also look nicer because of assoiciating with the sophisticated looking airport it captions - The HALO EFFECT might it be ?:lol:

941 - 960 of 7085 Posts