SkyscraperCity banner

1021 - 1040 of 7085 Posts

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
DC reports:
Airport sets trend
Hyderabad, Feb 11: The Rajiv Gandhi international airport at Shamshabad is the best in its class with the world’s best brains in airport design and passenger services joining together to execute the first-ever greenfield airport under public-private partnership in the country. “The new Hyderabad airport has several firsts to its credit. We have put together the best international companies to work with us to complete the project eight months ahead of the schedule and give passengers the best of world class services,” said GM Rao, chairman of GMR Group, which executed the mega airport project in the otherwise sleepy village of Shamshabad in the backward Ranga Reddy district 30 km from here.

In an exclusive interview to this newspaper on Monday on the eve of the calibration tests at the new airport, Mr Rao elaborated that Rajiv Gandhi international airport at Shamshabad is the first airport in India to go for LEED Certificate for incorporating green design elements. It is a non-polluting airport and passengers will have fresh air to breathe. “It is also the first airport to have integrated terminal Authorities believe that those who want to build Greenfield airports in the PPP mode would surely study Shamshabad, which has incorporated global best practices, as the most successful model.

“Passengers can enter the airport from the national highway No. 7 and from Srisailam highway,” said Mr Rao, who was happy that the rain god blessed his mega venture immediately after the puja ahead of the calibration tests. The airport has the best brains working in all its sectors. “The cargo operation will be handled by Menzies, the business hotel by Accor with Novotel brand and flight catering by LSG Sky Chef and Sky Gourmet,” said Mr Rao. The fuel farm operation and maintenance would be undertaken by Reliance Industries, duty free and retail by Nuance and Shoppers Stop, parking by Tenaga and airport lounges by Plaza Premium of Hong Kong.

“Our business philosophy is to work with the best international companies,” he said. “We have chosen them through a transparent selection process.” The airport medical centre will be manned by Apollo Hospitals and pilots will be trained by the Sabena Flight Academy while the maintenance contract has been given to Faber Malaysia. Even the house-keeping has been handed over to Sinar Jernih of Malaysia and ISS Integrated Services of Singapore. The bookstores will be run by Landmark and Odyssey.

Mr Rao said GHIAL had got the help of renowned aviation and construction experts including Prof. Rigas Doganis, fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, Prof. Amadeu Odoni of MIT and Prof. John Kasarda from North Carolina University. “We got the help of experts who designed Oslo and Hong Kong airport,” said Mr Rao. “The works of the passenger terminal building was taken up by China State Engineering Construction (Hong Kong) Limited.”

Mr Rao said a team had visited Bangkok to study how the existing airport there was converted to a greenfield one. “Since we know the problems which Bangkok faced, we have made our strategies accordingly,” he said. “The shifting from Begumpet to Shamshabad on March 16 will be a smooth affair. We will be running 120 special buses to several points in the city. The fare will be just Rs 95.” By all counts, the Begumpet airport would close down after March 16, though there are demands from some quarters that it be kept open.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
DC:
CM to take bus to airport
Hyderabad, Feb. 11: The Chief Minister, Dr Y.S. Rajasekhar Reddy, will on Tuesday travel by bus from the Secretariat to the new international airport at Shamshabad, 30 km from the city, for a firsthand “feel” of road connectivity with the new facility. The roads will of course be cleared for Dr Reddy’s journey, but dug-up stretches right up to the airport should give him some idea of the frustration people are going to encounter.

He is likely to experience an excuse for an autobahn where, when commuters are not dodging potholes, they are avoiding speeding lorries and autorickshaws. The PV Narasimha Rao elevated expressway, meant to provide a speedy link with the new airport, is facing delays. Though the airport becomes operational on March 16, passengers will not be able to use the expressway for at least another year.

Dr Reddy and the senior officials who are to accompany him on his inspection are to chalk out a strategy for early completion of the road project. Once the expressway and road-widening works are complete, the 90-odd minutes it now takes to reach the airport could be reduced by half. Officials are to conduct calibration tests on the runway on Tuesday, a month ahead of the scheduled inauguration of the new airport. After participating in the calibration test along with the Union civil aviation minister, Mr Praful Patel, the Chief Minister will take a helicopter ride back to the city.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Rajnath - that halo is post-photo-click "Picasa-isation". With so many photo touch-up softwares on offer, you can turn a bland picture into a marvellous piece. Go to www.picasa.com and you will know what I mean.

On the other hand, HIAL is a babe that rocks ! I can't get enough !! I can't .. I can't .. OOOH baby I can't !!!:banana::banana::bash:

p2p4

Oh my lord!!! look at the "halo" behind the ATC tower.

·
luvhydbad
234 Posts
Rajnath - that halo is post-photo-click "Picasa-isation". With so many photo touch-up softwares on offer, you can turn a bland picture into a marvellous piece. Go to www.picasa.com and you will know what I mean.

On the other hand, HIAL is a babe that rocks ! I can't get enough !! I can't .. I can't .. OOOH baby I can't !!!:banana::banana::bash:

p2p4

Oh my lord!!! look at the "halo" behind the ATC tower.
yep i downloaded the s/w and trying it

·
21,398 Posts
NDTV also had news on trial run to HIAL.....

Airport was excellent.

They stated that it will take 2hours to reach Shamshabad airport from city in peak hours.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Finally they updated the pictures !!! Interior looks very nice ! Excellent pictures !!

For the first time, we got to see the AOCC room, bridge over railwayline and the airport hotel room in pictures. Also the cargo building. GMR did finally pull up a miracle in doing lot of stuff in just a month.

What's left mainly is the Airport village, parking lot & landscaping. Shame on HUDA/GHMC that they couldn't show progress on the ORR in 18 months !

Good job HIAL ! You did it ! Now its the turn of airlines of India and the World to show their class :)

Commercial airlines landing and take off must have happened smoothly today, will get to hear the news in papers today/tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Source : SIFY News

First flight lands at new Hyderabad airport

Tuesday, 12 February , 2008, 15:59

Hyderabad: A Kingfisher flight A320 with about 50 journalists and company officials became the first plane to land at the new international airport near here Tuesday.

The passengers clapped and cheered loudly as the aircraft flying from Mumbai touched down at 3.10 p.m. at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad, about 25 km from here.

An IANS correspondent was on board the plane. Two more flights from Mumbai are expected to land at the airport later Tuesday. The present airport in Hyderabad is located in the heart of the city.

:cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
A-380 likely to touch Shamshabad airport during inaugural

source: http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/03/stories/2007110360490800.htm

HYDERABAD: Airbus A-380 will land in the new Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad at its inauguration, if the efforts of the GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd (GHIAL) bear fruit.

Authorities of GHIAL are making efforts to have the prestigious aircraft touch the ground in the new airport only to demonstrate the airport’s capability of handling the big bird. This will improve the prospect of such aircraft placing the city in its schedules.

Chief Operating Officer of GHIAL T. Srinagesh said in an informal chat on Thursday evening: “We are talking to them. Presently, there is only one A-380 aircraft. Its schedules are planned well in advance, as it has to cover several places.” He said 90 per cent of work on the airport was complete so far. Trial runs would commence towards mid-December.

·
World Entertainer.
1,801 Posts
He said 90 per cent of work on the airport was complete so far. Trial runs would commence towards mid-December.
I Guess This is Pretty Older News How Could It Be Only 90 Per Cent Of Work Got Completed??And Trial Run Towards Mid-December???

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
that is a 3rd Nov 2007 news bobbie ... take it ez ... that article was posted in this thread earlier i believe ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cheering for the new swanky airport is going on, side by side with the lamenting over lack of proper approach roads. Ideally, these folks should have set March 16th as their project deadline and set a date after the completion of PVNR expressway as the functioning date. With the kind of traffic sense that people of Hyderabad possess, I fear lots of accidents happening on the current approach roads. Two wheelers and autos should be banned from using the outer-ring road and the expressway, for starts.

1021 - 1040 of 7085 Posts