SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in English because I can't read Chinese.

I'm reading an abridged version written by Moss Roberts who is the professor of Chinese studies at Columbia University in New York City.

It's only 400 pages long, but it is enough for me.

What do you think of this epic, how has it affected Chinese culture, and how does it relate to the Chinese mentality??

Can someone post up pictures of the main characters like a thread I saw before on the International Skybar?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
it's a great novel...but you cant equate it to history, apparently the author of the book made up a lot of stuff. it's probably one of the earliest novels written in Chinese, the story is interesting but i dont think in terms of literature it has more significance than poems.

I dont know where we are supposed to get the pictures of main characters, they are all dead long ago, the only pictures on the internet are probably from the games made by Koei.

i think it has only affected Chinese culture little if any, remember back then it was written for common folks. I doubt people from aristocratic class will ever read it, they are probably more interested in Confucian classics.

btw i dont know if you know this but the author has a strong bias toward Cao Cao's camp and Sun Quan camps, because in authors view only Liu Bei is the legitimate ruler of China because he is the uncle of the last Emperor, therefore he tried to uglify people from Cao Cao and Sun Quan's camp. Cao Cao was described as a selfish ambitious and ruthless man, in reality he was selfish and all but not as much as author would want us to believe, he did think of people and he did not fight with other warlords only out of his own interest.

My favourite character is Zhou Yu, followed by Lu Xun. all from Wu. I also like Jiang Wei from Shu.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
I think we just need to keep in mind that Romance of the Three Kingdoms 三國演義 is a NOVEL that was BASED ON real historical events. Of course the author would've modified the events to make them more interesting just like how Hollywood producers are doing today with all those movies that are "BASED ON" a real story or historical event... :)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i think pangu's right, it's a novel so author can manipulate all he wants and he doesnt have to write it like history, but it's not just like any other novels because it's too close to history, and some people would believe it's history. but i think most people would agree that it's 70% truth 30% fiction.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Sen said:
i think pangu's right, it's a novel so author can manipulate all he wants and he doesnt have to write it like history, but it's not just like any other novels because it's too close to history, and some people would believe it's history. but i think most people would agree that it's 70% truth 30% fiction.
Hehe, it's funny, when authors/producers write their stories too close to real history, people criticize that it may confuse people into think it's real history. But when they add too much into it, people say they are distorting history or simply making a mockery of history :p

·
Mind Reader
3,535 Posts
Sen said:
it's a great novel...but you cant equate it to history, apparently the author of the book made up a lot of stuff. it's probably one of the earliest novels written in Chinese, the story is interesting but i dont think in terms of literature it has more significance than poems.

I dont know where we are supposed to get the pictures of main characters, they are all dead long ago, the only pictures on the internet are probably from the games made by Koei.

i think it has only affected Chinese culture little if any, remember back then it was written for common folks. I doubt people from aristocratic class will ever read it, they are probably more interested in Confucian classics.

btw i dont know if you know this but the author has a strong bias toward Cao Cao's camp and Sun Quan camps, because in authors view only Liu Bei is the legitimate ruler of China because he is the uncle of the last Emperor, therefore he tried to uglify people from Cao Cao and Sun Quan's camp. Cao Cao was described as a selfish ambitious and ruthless man, in reality he was selfish and all but not as much as author would want us to believe, he did think of people and he did not fight with other warlords only out of his own interest.

My favourite character is Zhou Yu, followed by Lu Xun. all from Wu. I also like Jiang Wei from Shu.

it could be worse if its in English

1 - 6 of 6 Posts