SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill be finally be living out my dream of living in New York city!

i cant wait, being a skyscraper fanatic its the best place to be in the world hands down, **** dubai. New York is the birth place and the home of skyscrapers and always be, looking up at looming scrapers that are almost 100 years old is more impressive than anything going up in the world right now IMO.

i need to find a job and a place to live lol gunna be hard but its all part of the adventure.

im looking for the kind New yorkers to give me some advice.

im as street wise as they get, growing up in the council estates of london i can hold my own. ive dont ALOT of research, its been my obsession since i got the internet, i just need some local advice from the people, coz i know not to judge a city by its rep coming from london i know that its not wat you see in the films. ive got my fake ID sorted thank god! (21 is such a silly age)

so can you guys just tell me the places to go off the beaten track, where do you like to eat and drink?

i arrive in the big city on the 17th july.

thanks

eddie

·
5,837 Posts
Congrats Eddie! I know you've wanted to come for a while now. Welcome to your city we will have you in a Yankee cap speaking Brooklynese by August. Where is your new place btw? Don't worry there are plenty of us here that will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ill be finally be living out my dream of living in New York city!

i cant wait, being a skyscraper fanatic its the best place to be in the world hands down, **** dubai. New York is the birth place and the home of skyscrapers and always be, looking up at looming scrapers that are almost 100 years old is more impressive than anything going up in the world right now IMO.
Exactly how I feel. I've wanted to live in New York since I was 10.
Not so easy without a Greencard (even with my Bachelors degree) ... :(

No matter how many skyscrapers they build in Dubai or how tall they reach, they'll never match New York. Simply because of what New York is built on and what it represents.
Quite simply, people arriving from all around the world, trying to make something great of their lives. That is how those skyscrapers were created. Through pure human ingenuity.

Dubai is just a bunch of oil-thieving individuals employing Westerners to use ingenuity and ideas that would otherwise not exist in that part of the world.

I've never read a better summary which describes what I love about New York: http://www.newcolonist.com/aynrand.html

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btw ny has been my obsession all my life, my mum lived there for 20 years before that she lived upstate, ive seen ALOT! of JFK but ive only spent 7hours in the city! we would always land in jfk and wait to get an other flight too syracuse ny, i remember sitting in TGI's and looking at the WTC, i craved it soooo much and flying over it was sad coz id never been.

NYgirl i havent found a place to live yet, im spending a few days at a family friends apartment on west 82nd.

should i be a yankees or a mets fan Giants or Jets? wait well the football is the Dolphins and always has been, but when im with Ralph Wilson i have to support the Buffalo Bills especially when im sitting in his box. lol

btw NYgirl, im probably responsible for half of the views on your tours, i look everyday!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im looking on craigslist for a shared apartment, there is alot of choice, i know that i cant live uptown i harlem and arcoss the river in brooklyn but i really wanna live in Manhattan!

i wanna get the full city experience, make my friends jealous you know what i mean, sex and the city is big over here!

the thing is that im looking at the sats for murders in new york and they are very high compared to london, even tho you guys say Harlem is safe im not sure.

i live in the Notting Hill area of london, a very wealthy area but its still not safe to walk around at night, and i know this as a fact! most of the london people on this site ive out side of the met area. they have no idea. My mum lives in the 3rd most expensive place to live in england out side of london but there are still stabbings and shootings!

i do get the impression that new york is different when it comes to crime, but in london we have much more of a mix of wealth in very small areas.

there are stabbings and shootings everyday in my city but not all of them are on the news, i know this because one of my close friends was stabbed in the neck out side a pub last week, but it was never on the news! it makes me sick that the government makes a big deal out of it when they want to.

NYgirl if you dont mind me asking where abouts in the city do you live? and what crime do you experience? are there alot of homeless/crack addicts about?

wats the drinking culture like out there? thats what im most worried about.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Just relax, ny may not be as safe as London but things are atleast safer from a decade ago. Actually most areas are safe to walk around at night, atleast in Manhattan. We've got loads of homeless though. You'll see them always asking for money especially in the subway. I'm not ny girl but I'd like to answer some of your questions anyways. (more input wouln't hurt). Well here in the East Village it's alright, not dangerous at all even at night like say 2am you wouldn't feel threatened. There are quite a few fights at times that tend to break out during the night while everyones enjoying the nightlife, but that's about it...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ oh yeah i understand that fights will break out its part in parcel with drink, and dont get me wrong i can hold my own in situations like that, confidence in the form of a switch blade.............. lol kidding.

i am going to be able to give VERY good advise about london and ny after a few months of living there, i would have experienced the both!

also i did photography at college so ill be out with my cannon all the time, cant wait to be a part of the SC new yorkers.

do you guys meet up like the london formers do?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Can't wait for your contributions! Oh about the crime, well I've never experienced any so far. I have been threatened this one time in the subway though, stupid routy teens I tell ya. We have quite a few crazy kids...

About that last part, well that's something you're gunna miss about London. I don't think we've had a meet up since.. ,well, ever...

·
User
5,634 Posts
Drinking...most places 21+, with a fake you're good.

Crime, hasn't been an issue much personally, knock on wood, I live in Queens.

We've had a meetup, the biggest one was 13 in November, of 04 I believe, Jan, Dutch forumers, Swede another mod was here, jacksom from Baltimore, it wasn't really a local one either.

We should set one up this summer, I'm down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi everyone,
I came across this thread and am in a comparable situation like Eddie so I thought why not ask some questions here.
I'll be in NYC from next week onwards - until September, 18th. For the first 3 weeks we (my sister and me) booked a vacation apartment. What we need is a 2-bedroom-flat for the rest of the time :) We would like to avoid a broker, as it makes everything more expensive, so do you have any suggestions how to find a nice and not too expensive flat for intermediate rent? (3 months) I don't care too much about the area, as long as it's not to dangerous and nott too remote to downtown (where I'll work) - I should be able to get there within 40 minutes by public transport.

That's the most important issue, I'm sure I'll hava other questions when I
think about it.

Another important thing: I am doing an internship, but unfortunately can't get paid for it, so I need to make some money otherwise - I know I can't work officially without the proper visa, but do you know where I shoud look out for student jobs (well, in the universities, most propably) and do you think it's realistic of me to expect to earn some money this way?

Ah, about the pubs: I'm only 20 years old, so I need a fake ID, right? It might be a dumb question, but where could I get one (I can't ask an older friend for one)?

And about food, is there a certain supermarket chain you can recommend, which is rather cheap but offers eatable food?

Thanks for your attention,

Stephan from Germany, looking forward to his time in the US.

·
5,837 Posts
NYgirl if you dont mind me asking where abouts in the city do you live? and what crime do you experience? are there alot of homeless/crack addicts about?

wats the drinking culture like out there? thats what im most worried about.
I'm in the Village and we do rent out the basement apartment unfortunatley a sophemore @ NYU has already given us a downpayment and will be moving back in here by early September/ late August.
There is crime down here but mostly pety crimes like the occasional mugging, drunk bar fights, and vandalism. Not too many crack addicts about but there are homeless people that wander the west village. For drinking experience I'd say the Village is a pretty hot spot. I like to hang on W. 4th street as that has been my stomping grounds since my early twenties. There is the Blue Note, Groove Spot, Village Underground, and Fat Black Pussy Cat. The East Ville is hot too. Koolkid can cover you on the East Village and I can cover you on the West Village.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Hi everyone,
I came across this thread and am in a comparable situation like Eddie so I thought why not ask some questions here.
I'll be in NYC from next week onwards - until September, 18th. For the first 3 weeks we (my sister and me) booked a vacation apartment. What we need is a 2-bedroom-flat for the rest of the time :) We would like to avoid a broker, as it makes everything more expensive, so do you have any suggestions how to find a nice and not too expensive flat for intermediate rent? (3 months) I don't care too much about the area, as long as it's not to dangerous and nott too remote to downtown (where I'll work) - I should be able to get there within 40 minutes by public transport.

That's the most important issue, I'm sure I'll hava other questions when I
think about it.

Another important thing: I am doing an internship, but unfortunately can't get paid for it, so I need to make some money otherwise - I know I can't work officially without the proper visa, but do you know where I shoud look out for student jobs (well, in the universities, most propably) and do you think it's realistic of me to expect to earn some money this way?

Ah, about the pubs: I'm only 20 years old, so I need a fake ID, right? It might be a dumb question, but where could I get one (I can't ask an older friend for one)?

And about food, is there a certain supermarket chain you can recommend, which is rather cheap but offers eatable food?

Thanks for your attention,

Stephan from Germany, looking forward to his time in the US.
Stephan, I'm Germany studying abroad right now and I really love your countrY so far!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
@Third of a kind: Nice to hear, where are you studying? Maybe I could recommend you something ;)

I know I posted a lot of stuff - I thought maybe, if sombody knows something about one question or one part of one question ;), he can just pick out this detail and tell me something about it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts