Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I have to live there. Even though I live in a suburb of NYC. I feel like Chicago is better than NYC in a sense. I dont know. Anybody else feel like this? Like that theyll rather live in Chicago then NYC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feel like I have to live there. Even though I live in a suburb of NYC. I feel like Chicago is better than NYC in a sense. I dont know. Anybody else feel like this? Like that theyll rather live in Chicago then NYC.
Ha, your going to really ask Chicago forumers if they would rather live in Chicago over NYC? Considering Chicagoans feels that Chicago is the best city in the known universe, the answer is yes. Don't get me wrong, NYC is awesome, but I would never leave Chicago.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Let's just say they are both fanastic cities (which they are) and leave it at that before this turns into something ugly.

How could anyone go wrong with either New York or Chicago?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you cant go wrong. But I dont know. I hope when I make the decision, I wont feel lonely in Chicago.

·
JoePa4Eva
254 Posts
Welcome to the Chicago board, Tymel.
So you're looking for a little advice, are you?
Here's mine: "The more faces you fake, the fewer friends you'll make."
April 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM #44
Tymel

Send a message via AIM to Tymel

For some reason im not a big fan of C h i c a g o and N e W Y o R k C i ty.
I live on the outskirts of N so I go there pretty often, but its just a place to visit not live.

I just kinda want to stay in the Northeast but there arent that many good cities besides DC and Phila.delp.hia that I like. Seattle is starting to draw on me now because I dont know why it just looks awesome. But DC and Ph.ilade.lphia. will do just fine. =]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive changed my mind considerably from before. Ive been going threw lots of phases. And that was I want to live in a small- midsized city. Now the only two places where I can see myself living is in New York or Illinios. Ive been reading a chicago blog, learning about there diffrent areas in it. (U. Village, Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, The Loop, Magnificent Mile, The Bean, El Train) I love looking at peoples apartments in Chicago and NYC. Thats how much Ive changed my mind from back then.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm 15. I'm just fascinated about big cities like Chicago and New York City. If they weren't so expensive that would be even greater.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well chicago doesnt have that overwhelming feel to it, if you want to be away from downtown then you can while still living in the city or vice versa, with new york you have no choice its apartment or suburbs, dont get me wrong i love new york, ive been on vacation there before....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is very true. There really isn't a middle in New York City. That's what I like about Chicago. Chicago also seems more laid back, and easier to make friends in.

·
padisha emperor
392 Posts
^^ You're young, you've got plenty of time to see both and enjoy both cities. As you get older you'll probably fall more in love with NYC, as many, many people do all the time; then again you might visit Chicago and fall in love with it here, regardless, both cities have much to offer, it just depends on whether you want to be in a huge city or a huge city x 1,000; just enjoy where you are now and don't rush to grow older.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Tymel, I know both cities pretty well although I live in LA. (disclaimer, I grew up in Chicago but have family in both New York and Chi as well as tons of other places). New York is more exciting than Chicago, but Chicago is a lot more livable and down to earth. You can find just about anything you might want to find in either place. My advice is take some time visiting, maybe think about going to college in Chicago, both Northwestern and University of Chicago are excellent schools. You have plenty of time to make up your mind, or to change it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats exactly what I'm going to do. Go to college in the area, if I dont like it I can always transfer out and know that I wont be going threw what ifs my whole life.

·
5,837 Posts
That is very true. There really isn't a middle in New York City. That's what I like about Chicago. Chicago also seems more laid back, and easier to make friends in.
well chicago doesnt have that overwhelming feel to it, if you want to be away from downtown then you can while still living in the city or vice versa, with new york you have no choice its apartment or suburbs, dont get me wrong i love new york, ive been on vacation there before....
Actually you are both wrong. When you speak of apartments I am assuming you mean highrise condo's, coop's, tenements, and housing projects.
When you say suburbs I am assuming that you mean places like Eastern/Queens- Nassau and White Plains and Bergen County..

If that is the case than the middle ground you are looking for that is quite commonly found in Chicago as well for New York would be Brooklyn, many parts of Queens, portions of the Jersey Side, and even certain spots in the Bronx. In particular: Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Point, Vinegar Hill, Williamsburg, and Sunset Park in Brooklyn. Astoria, LIC, Flushing in Queens. Fordham, Concourse, HighBridge in the Bronx. Newark, WNY, JC, Cliffside, Fort Lee in jersey. These places call be considered both bustleing and quiet. There are residential blocks in Park Slope that are quite tame and quiet yet sit inbetween two vibrant avenue's packed with people shuffleing up and down the block.
So tymel there is a choice and middle ground between Manhattan's highrise living and Nassau County's bland cookie cutters and that would be the enormous borough of Brooklyn.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Actually you are both wrong. When you speak of apartments I am assuming you mean highrise condo's, coop's, tenements, and housing projects.
When you say suburbs I am assuming that you mean places like Eastern/Queens- Nassau and White Plains and Bergen County..

If that is the case than the middle ground you are looking for that is quite commonly found in Chicago as well for New York would be Brooklyn, many parts of Queens, portions of the Jersey Side, and even certain spots in the Bronx. In particular: Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Point, Vinegar Hill, Williamsburg, and Sunset Park in Brooklyn. Astoria, LIC, Flushing in Queens. Fordham, Concourse, HighBridge in the Bronx. Newark, WNY, JC, Cliffside, Fort Lee in jersey. These places call be considered both bustleing and quiet. There are residential blocks in Park Slope that are quite tame and quiet yet sit inbetween two vibrant avenue's packed with people shuffleing up and down the block.
So tymel there is a choice and middle ground between Manhattan's highrise living and Nassau County's bland cookie cutters and that would be the enormous borough of Brooklyn.
This is only partly true. In Chicago, you can live in a reasonably quiet area and be much closer to downtown and near north attractions, than you would be in Brooklyn to Mid Town Manhattan.

Then again you could be in Los Angeles living in Laurel Canyon surrounded by woods, living with wildlife, and still be ten minutes from the Sunset strip or Hollywood Boulevard..

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Then again you could be in Los Angeles living in Laurel Canyon surrounded by woods, living with wildlife,wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, sanatana winds, manson family warnings, LAPD rounding up minorities, smog alerts, and hollywood tour-the-stars buses and still be ten minutes from the Sunset strip or Hollywood Boulevard..
you gotta love svs's observations.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the insight NYGirl. Its just that I never been to those parts of Brooklyn so I didnt know. Im in Queens right now( for the weekend at my dads) and he lives in Springfield Gardens. Ive always wanted to visit Astoria, but he would never take me.

But when it comes down to price. It seems that Chicago is more bang for youre buck then NYC. I want to be able to live in an apartment but when im ready, to move into a house in Long Island, or Chicagos version of Long Island.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts