SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cat is out of the bag, my contract was up, and I left.

I spent every day of the last 5 years dealing with hundreds of architectural firms, and it never ceases to amaze me.

You guys (Architects), for the most part, don’t get what effective advertising is.

Websites with nothing but a portfolio, flashy words in a magazine with a recent project in the background, or even worse, a brochure detailing all your great awards and education.

Customers want to know how you can BENEFIT THEM. They do not care about what you or your firm has done.

I just want to help. I want to offer some value to architects in a more casual manner, after all, if it wasn’t for you guys where would our world stand? On the ground.

So please, ladies and gentlemen in the architect community, ask me anything you want to know about advertising online, offline, in person, networking, whatever, I’ll answer.

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
Hey Greg, I want to show my portfolio off online to highlight my prowess to prospective clients. How could you help me.

Thanks man.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Hi Greg. Just completed a £60million hotel scheme, nominated for several awards; but I guess I won't put it on my website, because like you said, hotel operators (potential clients) won't care. Websites have always been a great marketing tool - we regularly get people ringing up because of a project they have seen online and want to visit/talk about a similar project they have in mind. It works, and that's why all architecture websites are so alike.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
Interesting sales pitch to aggressively attack your potential clients.

Perhaps you need some sales training?

A better opening line may well include, "Your vibrant, distinctive and unique portfolios show your potential clients just what can be achieved. I want to help you take it to another level" blah blah..

Praise and Opportunity. "What can BENEFIT THEM" as you said, applied to your sales targets, as well. I say applied, since you have just lost any potential business on this great resource.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Greg. Just completed a £60million hotel scheme, nominated for several awards; but I guess I won't put it on my website, because like you said, hotel operators (potential clients) won't care. Websites have always been a great marketing tool - we regularly get people ringing up because of a project they have seen online and want to visit/talk about a similar project they have in mind. It works, and that's why all architecture websites are so alike.
A place to show your projects is necessary due to the nature of your profession but it's only half of the equation.

In your case if you are designing 60 million pound hotel buildings you probable don't have the need to be marketing non-stop. Your name is probably well established and you can get clients through word of mouth or just from your previous works.

I am trying to give help to the guy who needs it, the guy who is struggling a but, the guy who needs that extra push so his firm gets that credibility and appreciation they deserve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting sales pitch to aggressively attack your potential clients.

Perhaps you need some sales training?

A better opening line may well include, "Your vibrant, distinctive and unique portfolios show your potential clients just what can be achieved. I want to help you take it to another level" blah blah..

Praise and Opportunity. "What can BENEFIT THEM" as you said, applied to your sales targets, as well. I say applied, since you have just lost any potential business on this great resource.

:)
Sorry about the bluntness but it's just my personality. I speak what's on my mind and sometimes it is not the nicest things.

I do appreciate the tip and think keeping things positive and adding only more positivity to it is a great way to go about speaking with folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have any questions regarding branding, video, or one key fan targeting.

Let me know i will be on tomorrow same time to answer questions.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Sadly, like most sales people, your approach is too childish to be taken with any credibility. Of course clients care about completed/ongoing projects - it's the first thing they ask for when discussing a future project. They then ask for personal experience, qualifications and awards.

you probable don't have the need to be marketing non-stop.
We'd 'probable' be shooting ourselves in the foot if we stopped marketing. A website is a tiny proportion of the marketing we do; it's the first point of call - a glossy magazine where clients can get a good look at our summary of work. A professional photograph tells clients how we'll benefit them a hell of a lot more than a wall of text ever could.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to my view, Internet Marketing is termed to be the business that is performed online. The best and easiest way to perform business is through Internet. This is also known as the online or the e-marketing. Through this we can approach our business advertising with affordable prices. How can we choose the best internet marketing agency for best advertising? Is there any basic tips are there for the selection of the site?

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Well a degree in architecture is a good start, and can lead to numerous careers in and outside of architecture. I know a couple of people that have received decent degrees from Nottingham university (just looking at your location) in the subject, and are pursuing architectural careers. Architectural visualisation is an up and coming industry, very useful for small/medium firms that do not have in house visualisers. You need to be fairly tech savvy but still have a good eye for composition.

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
Well I'm currently 17, and in the future i would like to be come an architect, or something to do with an architect company e.g computer renderings of buildings

Any advice you can give me? feel free to PM me :)
It's not for the likes of you, join the infantry son.

·
10th February 2008
59,908 Posts
There's a shortage of produce pickers in East Anglia now most of the Poles have gone home.

Hopefully Swan levels will be back to normal next year. The rivers and lakes are being restocked with fish as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.