SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Just something
8,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bag of chips makes me happy......half chips half rice and curry sauce and with a plastic fork / exstatic (I`m a cheap date.....)

Love your Chippy ............ :) :) :) :) :)

Were is your favorite take away and what do you like?

·
Regular Merseyrail User
182 Posts
There is a chippy in Gateacre Village opposite the black bull on Grange Lane which does a mean chinese meal. The chips and curry and burgers are great too.

Also, Harry's continental at Picton Clock is just as good!

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Gotta love The Lobster Pot in town - great chips. Athena used to be good too but it's gone a bit ropey in the last few years. There's also a great chippy on Rose Lane which has won awards and such, and one accross the road from the Brook House pub on Smithdown Road. I always took the fact that you had a chippy on every street corner for granted, just like you have a pub on every street corner, until I realised that this is a particularly scouse thing, much to my dismay when travelling other parts of the country and in need of a steaming bag of hot sticky chips and being able to find nothing but kebab shops and pizza parlours...

I suppose it has something to do with the large Chinese population and their extremely clever marketting strategy of selling english fish and chips alongside traditional chinese takeaway. I do find however that not all chips are equal, and that's primarily due to the type of batter they use. Chinese chippy's tend to use nut oil to fry the chips, giving them a distinctive taste, whereas for my money the best, old fashioned chippys use good old lard to get that unbeatable flavour.

Hmm, didn't know I was quite so passionate about chips, gettin kinda hungry now and don't like the look of my Philadelphi cream cheese sandwiches any more... :tongue3:

·
Registered
664 Posts
There is a chippy next to Crosby Youth Club on Coronation Road, it does the best chips ever - non greasy and really crisp, unfortunately i'm always gassed when i go in and I can't remember the name.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
the chinese chippy on penny lane by dovedale towers is great, also the one on lark lane owned by the greek guy is very nice too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There's quite a good chinese on Marybone thawt does more than passable chips. My only issue is Liverpool appears to be lacking in a good indian takeaway.

I think I got a bit spoilt in that aspect living in the midlands for years! Some excellent restaraunts in town, just none that deliver

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Wormella said:
There's quite a good chinese on Marybone thawt does more than passable chips. My only issue is Liverpool appears to be lacking in a good indian takeaway.

I think I got a bit spoilt in that aspect living in the midlands for years! Some excellent restaraunts in town, just none that deliver
Cafe Naz on Picton Road and Cafe Sekander on Alerton Road are both excellent Indian takeaways which you can also dine at for very reasonable prices - plus you can take your own beer and wine! A cheap night out for curry lovers everywhere...

·
Lifer Pol
121 Posts
Boss thread!

There used to be a great Indian Restaurant / takeaway on Derby Lane, Stoneycroft called 'Cafe India' but sadly it closed down. My mate from West London reckoned the food was better than any Indian takeaway he'd ever been to. I think in Liverpool the vast majority of people prefer Chinese food, probably due to the fact that we have hundreds of Chinese takeaways - hence the lack of good Indian takeaways.

My fave takeaway is the Oriental Delicatesen on Deysbrook Lane, West Derby. Great food and the food comes in those cardboard containers like what you see in the American films!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
The Britannia fish and chip/chinese/kebab shop in Stonebridge Lane, Crocky for quantity. Huge portion of chips for a £. The place has lost a load of custom since the Dog and Gun closed. By the way, Wayne Rooney used to hang around the chippy as a kid. Mind you, his house was just across the road.

Tso's on Muirehead Avenue and Jean's on Copplehouse Lane deserve an honourable Chinese takeaway mention too :cheers:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Apologies for being slightly OT, but who started these fucking awful puns when naming chip shops? "Fred's Plaice", "Cod's Palace" etc? :bash:

Do you know of one in Liverpool that is actually funny?

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
"Codfather", "Inn Plaice", seen them all. I used to enjoy the "Roussos Fish Bar", near Whitechapel, in the 80s when I used to go to gigs at "Planet X" from Manc.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
T0M said:
Chinese chippy's tend to use nut oil to fry the chips, giving them a distinctive taste, whereas for my money the best, old fashioned chippys use good old lard to get that unbeatable flavour.
Tom, when I was kid living in Hughes St L6, me mum used to send me to one of the chippies on West Derby Road, but she forbade me to buy them from the one owned by the Chinese guy, because she used to walk past in the morning and could see the detritus in the lard. Trouble was though, they were the best tasting chips ever. I got some right bollockings when I came home with the Chinese chips. :)

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I'm starving now!

I told a story on the suburban thread of L8s' (what's happened to him?) about my wife ordering a pizza and the fucker threw it in the deep fat fryer!

I should have aded though, that their chips were fantastic... the rest of the stuff was shite mind you!

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Did you hear about the fight in the chippy last night?...

... The fish got battered.

:laugh: :hilarious :cheers:

Chippies have gone a bit pricey of late IMO. Although it could be me being tighter than a ducks arse. Maybe it's becuase of the strict quotas on the fish. Do any in Liverpool still do cod?

In Runcorn, all of the housing areas have a small community centre, no more than X yards from each home. Each one has a chippy- how working class can ye get? The one by us was the best one, until it go taken over and then the price went up and the high quality had its chips. :laugh: The best chippy in the world is this one we used to go to in Rhyl, or was it Southport... They're always better at the seaside.

Aaah mate. I'm gonna go the chippy right now. £3.50 for fish n chips though! And they're fucking stingey. I asked the fat bird behind the counter to put more chips in once and she turned round and said, "No."

:cheers:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
The best pies I ever had was in ye olden days, on a trip to North Wales. I was famished, not haing been able to eat all day. We stopped at this village and they had real home made pies, real steak even!

can't remember the name of the village or the shop.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I never eat take away food anymore, because you don't know what's in it. I used to like chips where I knew the fat wasn't contaminated with meat (eg where they fry meat products in it), but as for Indian and Chinese takeaways, you just don't know the amount of salt that are in them. It can be very high indeed. I have no nostalgia at all for all the unhealthy rubbish I've queued and waited for and paid over the odds for over the years.

I wonder if there is a market for someone to set up a take-away brand for healthy, ethical take-away food - and where you can see precisely how much fat, salt, sugar, calories etc you are getting? Marks and Spencer and Waitrose are both getting there in a way with some of their complete microwave meals, so why not take it one step further and open 24 hour fast food outlets on the high street? They could be vending machine places, a bit like those bank cashpoint things, and you'd then know some dirty fucker hadn't just wiped his arse and not washed his hands before wiping the mould off the rat-chewed patato being used for your chips. Your take-away would be microwaved / grilled to order, staight from chilled state, to minimise vitamin loss or the risks of bacterial contamination.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
A bit of arse swiping and an occasional stray pube never killed anybo... oh, hang on.... I'll just go and put this kebab in the bin!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts