SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 468 Posts

·
Brummie & Proud
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crosby have named Southside Phase II "i-Land". The title appears on the hoardings which are now nicely decorated which I assume signifies an imminent start to the marketing effort and hopefully some renders.

·
Brummie & Proud
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the recently cleared site where the BT building has just been demolised. The car park is called Latitude and is susposedly being built by Wimpey who brought the site Revurban with planning for a Glenn Howell's scheme. Not much happening at the moment though. The wedsite is:
http://www.latitude.gb.com/

·
15,712 Posts
well i think a nice 10 floor block will ook wel ncie here....with southside, and the new ice-rink "tower"

·
malu cachu
393 Posts
What I'm not sure about is who the architects are. I'd somehow got it into my head it was another Howells design, and it certainly looks Howells-esque, but there's a temporary planning application for the cranes to build the thing that has a floorplan that seems to come from Weedons (who I think did the apart-hotel by the Rag Market).

Does anyone know for sure?

That elevation looks pretty nicely proportioned either way IMO, but with Howells you could hopefully also factor in some of the fabulous detailing that they managed with Southside.

Shite name though, don't you think?

·
Brummie & Proud
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weedon did Centinary Plaza, two buildings at Brindley Place amongst other things. I suspect that Glenn Howells did the original scheme and them Wimpey brought in Weedons

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
bileduct said:
The Essex Street elevation for this was slipped in to the Unity House/Armories application over the road.

That nice Victorian Building, which is just a wall/facade burnt out shell thingy (?), that's going to be the 'Ub? (Hub) isn't it?

Or am I getting rather confused? (again)

·
15,712 Posts
i think that is going to be the hub but i still cant find it on that crosby link........ was tyhere any renderings of it???

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
It's a play on "island" - the main feature is going to be water:

Fresh Apartments, Calm Water
A new development of 272 studio, one and two bedroom apartments coming soon to the centre of Birmingham. Currently due for completion in 2007 this stunning development will be built around a unique water filled courtyard, each property will have contemporary, modern specification and most will benefit from private parking. Located on Essex Street close to The Hippodrome, Arcadian Centre and minutes from the Bullring shopping centre, i-land is perfectly located to enjoy all the city has to offer.
http://www.investincrosby.com/iland.php

·
malu cachu
393 Posts
There's actually two Crosby/Howells developments over the road, either side of Lower Essex Street - could either or both be The Hub?

(another daft name either way - what's wrong with Unity House and The Armouries - bah humbug etc*)

* frighteningly like my grandad

·
15,712 Posts
i just think the birmingham gay district will be a great area soon...i just hope that developers are more willing to incorporate more bars/resturants in the area!

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Too many plans!

So the Armoury is going where the probabtion service is?

Which is diagonally opposite (sigh) iLanD.

I hope the Fox pub is staying! Cough-knowing-wink-cough. I don't know of any other pub that caters to that specific clientel. Not that I'm the sort of person who would know about these things...

·
15,712 Posts
ahhh the fox..... do they allow gay men in there yet are do the ...... ummmm.... manish women keep them back?

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
woodhousen said:
i just think the birmingham gay district will be a great area soon...i just hope that developers are more willing to incorporate more bars/resturants in the area!
Well its yay or nay time, I wrote my MSc thesis on the future of the gay village and im not convinced the developments are great for it. Traditionally gay regen zones where villages have grown organically have redeveloped buildings but the city then either supports or fails to supports them.

Manchester city council is so pro-gay its fantastic for the area whereas Birmingham is apathetic at best. What the council needs to do, and perhaps part of the masterplanning might help is say, fantastic area, good cultural opportunities, lets support it and market it.

I am worried though, the Old Kent Street Baths, the car park opposite next to the Fountain being built on soonish.

I dont want to be pessimistic but its still all to play for by developers, the gay village and council.

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Not being, you know, one of those, not that I've got you know anything against blah blah..

But is'nt the Manchester Canal Street full of bloody Students/open minded straights?

1 - 20 of 468 Posts