SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't think i've seen any place in the U.S.
that looks more exotic and urban as Los Angeles.
Look at all the palm trees in the distance,
and the houses on the hills. i love this view.
can't wait to go there one day.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
I always have fun in LA-in fact, I was there yesterday morning...LOL. I flew down there to go to the garment district in downtown. People may say they hate LA and whatnot, but I lived there and loved it immensly. From the car culture to the beach culture to the cultural diversity-not to mention the natural beauty, the climate and all the amenities-LA has a vibe all its own.

You cant please everyone and LA doesnt try to. Apparently 17 Million people find it great enough to settle there and I can see why.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Los Angeles' weather (alone) makes it one of my favorite places in the entire world.

Reactions: nick.english.dept

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Soulbrotha said:
i don't think i've seen any place in the U.S.
can't wait to go there one day.
You really should make a plan to go there. I agree about LA looking "exotic", especially compared to the dull, drab, cities of the East and Midwest. LA is a gorgeous city for scenery, and the plant life truly is exotic. You see plants there that look like they belong in a jungle. And the flowers....right in the middle of neighborhoods, when the citrus trees are blooming, it smells wonderful. Those are the kind of details that you won't experience unless you go there.

Seriously, **** New York and Chicago, I like them, but they get plenty of love here and LA gets trashed, so **** em', this is LA's thread.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Did you really have to say **** NY and Chicago? You know that's going to piss people off. I like LA. It's a nice city, but you could have left the "**** NY and Chicago" out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
bay_area said:
I always have fun in LA-in fact, I was there yesterday morning...LOL. I flew down there to go to the garment district in downtown. People may say they hate LA and whatnot, but I lived there and loved it immensly. From the car culture to the beach culture to the cultural diversity-not to mention the natural beauty, the climate and all the amenities-LA has a vibe all its own.

You cant please everyone and LA doesnt try to. Apparently 17 Million people find it great enough to settle there and I can see why.
You do realize Bay Area, that there are people in the bay area that will want to revoke your Northern Californian membership card from you for such a statement! ( :jk: or maybe not :) )

·
Registered
349 Posts
bay_area said:

I've never been to California, would love to go there one day. I just have one question for you Bay Area since you've lived in both cities, Is LA and San Francisco that much different from one another, like night and day, or is there some similarities between the two?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
prwfromnc said:
I've never been to California, would love to go there one day. I just have one question for you Bay Area since you've lived in both cities, Is LA and San Francisco that much different from one another, like night and day, or is there some similarities between the two?
I haven't lived in both cities, but I've been to both, and I think they're very different, about as different as two major cities could be that are in the same state.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
urban lover said:
You do realize Bay Area, that there are people in the bay area that will want to revoke your Northern Californian membership card from you for such a statement! ( :jk: or maybe not :) )
LOL...they dont need to know. shhh :runaway:

JK....seriously though, LA is a great city IMO.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
prwfromnc said:
Yeah, they are different but there are similarities.

San Francisco and The Bay Area is a lot smaller for one-still a massive Metro Area, but LA is a real MegaCity so there's no comparison there.

As far as cultures, I find the two regions generally the same, except Latinos are far more dominant in LA whilst Asians are a greater percentage of the population in SF. I do find strong similarities in the suburban areas. Huge swaths of latino and asian communities can be found in both metros. And the density of the urbanized area is not too different-LA has the edge there.

The weather in The Bay Area and LA is very similar outside the City. Temps in SF and Oakland are similar to Santa Monica and West LA. Temps in LAs inland valleys pretty much mirror San Jose and The East Bay.

As far as Natural Beauty, There is a lot of similarity-pretty much any plant, tree or flower that can grow in SoCal can also grow in The Bay Area. Its a matter of the taste of the people. I prefer the tropical taste of LA's homeowners. I also have beautiful palm trees and banana trees and birds of paradise in my yard here while most of my neighbors are far more conservative.

There's lots of similarities and lots of differences...

This thread is about LA and I happen to think its a great place. :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I like LA. As long as it isn't covered by smog it's a great place. I especially love the beaches and palm trees. And Soulbrotha's pic is really good too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
"i don't think i've seen any place in the U.S.
can't wait to go there one day."

^^Uhm...I love Los Angeles, but don't get me wrong...there's this city called "New York" which happens to be larger, more exotic, and more urban than Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
PhillyPhilly90 said:
"i don't think i've seen any place in the U.S.
can't wait to go there one day."

^^Uhm...I love Los Angeles, but don't get me wrong...there's this city called "New York" which happens to be larger, more exotic, and more urban than Los Angeles.
This is why I said "**** New York", because I knew people would be coming in here saying stuff like that.

IMO, aesthetically, LA is way more exotic than New York, and you'll know it before you even get off the plane.

Contrast flying into LAX with flying into La Guardia. Going into NYC, you're just flying over a sea of brown bricks, and if it's overcast, which it often is, it can look really depressing.

Going into LAX, look north, and you can see downtown, mountains, and the green Hollywood Hills, and as you get closer to the ground, you start seeing the palm trees and there's a good chance that it'll be a beautiful sunny day.

I guess most people here find skyscrapers exotic. I find playing golf in January exotic.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks Anti-Cheesehead and Bay Area for providing some insight on the similarities and differences between LA and San Francisco. Although I've never visited either of those places, the photos that I've seen of both cities are rather impressive and I would look forward to visiting those places somewhere in the future.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
I personally feel L.A. is way to overhyped in the media---as if its some kind of paradise city. I would rather live in San Diego, but thats just me.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts