SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of the skyscrapers go with this, but the scenary and activity around it is awesome. I went up there for my cousin's graduation of UT and enjoyed every minute of it. Sitting outside near the Tennessee River or gojng to Gatlinburg and admiring the mountains around me, everything was mind-blowing. Before leaving for the city, I thought it was another 'ole boring city with a crappy everything, but since being there, everything that I thought has changed. Dad wants to go up there again and I agree and maybe when I get ready to pick what university I'll go to, University of Tennessee will be on my list. Yes, I'll miss the beaches and sun of Florida, but Knoxville is way better than that.

There's my rant for today.

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
Interesting you say these things. I have heard both good and bad about the city. My opinion you ask? Well, I haven't been there long enough to form one so sorry about that. I'll have to take yours, and others, word on it.

I will admit that the scenery around the city, and especially south of the city, is just stunning.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lexy said:
Interesting you say these things. I have heard both good and bad about the city. My opinion you ask? Well, I haven't been there long enough to form one so sorry about that. I'll have to take yours, and others, word on it.

I will admit that the scenery around the city, and especially south of the city, is just stunning.
The city isn't that much stunning, it lacks landscaping and needs to be clean up a lot, espicially near the UT campus, but taking the highway to the Apallaicha Stare Park and going though the awesome Big towns, like Gatlinburg and forgot the city, but had awesome family activities, makes me want to go again. They had helicopter tour rides for $10, yes, $10. I was amazed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
NewPortRicheyGuy said:
Not much of the skyscrapers go with this, but the scenary and activity around it is awesome. I went up there for my cousin's graduation of UT and enjoyed every minute of it. Sitting outside near the Tennessee River or gojng to Gatlinburg and admiring the mountains around me, everything was mind-blowing. Before leaving for the city, I thought it was another 'ole boring city with a crappy everything, but since being there, everything that I thought has changed. Dad wants to go up there again and I agree and maybe when I get ready to pick what university I'll go to, University of Tennessee will be on my list. Yes, I'll miss the beaches and sun of Florida, but Knoxville is way better than that.

There's my rant for today.
Knoxville has a reputation in Tennessee as somewhat of a dirty, boring, blue-collar town. I haven't been there enough to really know for sure, but my UT friends don't seem real fond of the place (some more than others). They certainly don't seem as estatic about their college town as other SEC alums are about theirs. Maybe its just the hoity-toity people in Memphis and Nashville looking down on its middle class little sister.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tennreb said:
Knoxville has a reputation in Tennessee as somewhat of a dirty, boring, blue-collar town. I haven't been there enough to really know for sure, but my UT friends don't seem real fond of the place (some more than others). They certainly don't seem as estatic about their college town as other SEC alums are about theirs. Maybe its just the hoity-toity people in Memphis and Nashville looking down on its middle class little sister.
Knoxville, the main part, isn't that interesting. I can agree that it is a scummy city that needs some spring time clean up and some things must go, like that one statue with a gold ball on it, I think it's ugly. More of the surrounding areas are awesome. You Calhouns(sp?) resaurants are great.

If any of ur friends just graduated, tell them great job.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The areas around K-ville are gorgeous, but the city itself is (to paraphrase Ali G) a bit crap. It has a couple of cool districts, but I've never had an experience there that made me want to go back (though I keep finding myself there).

Personally, I'd suggest Chattanooga as an alternative that has the same scenery and a much more likeable city core.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was in Knoxville back in the early 1990's (my first trip to Tennessee). It was okay, my friend I was staying with lived out in the suburbs, there were plenty of woods behind his house, kind of a nice setting. We shot .22 rifles into a creekbed in the backyard, and no one bothered us.

But I wasn't that impressed with the city in general. The only thing I really liked was a road leading up to the stadium at UT, with a bunch of college bars and restaurants - it looked like a nicer version of the neighborhood around Legion Field in B'ham.

As far as in-city universities go, I prefer USC and Columbia to UT and Knoxville.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
well, that's interesting, and i hope you have fun at UT if you go there.

i'm biased in both ways, positive and negative, having grown up in K-town, aka Knox-Vegas...and in the suburbs (boring anywhere.) but my high school was near downtown...which sucked for commutes

on one hand, i don't like Knoxville; i took every effort to move out, and every effort to avoid moving back (except for summer/winter breaks.) yet, i like it more than i did 8 years ago when i left.

so, i'll just respond to the comments point by point.

pdxheel said:
Anyone have pictures of Knoxville?
Here's a bunch of mine

TheBrad said:
The old downtown of Knoxville is cool - or old town, whatever it's called.
"The Old City" is the area's name, and yes, yes it is. and it seems to be getting better.

tennreb said:
is it really that bad? i mean, i've noticed the snobbery from the middle and west of the state towards Knoxville, but for that "reputation," well, then why'd all of those people come to UT for football before the Titans showed up. it probably is the hoity-toity attitude..."yeah, i went there for school and football and beer."

yakirz said:
I was in Knoxville back in the early 1990's (my first trip to Tennessee). It was okay, my friend I was staying with lived out in the suburbs, there were plenty of woods behind his house, kind of a nice setting. We shot .22 rifles into a creekbed in the backyard, and no one bothered us.

But I wasn't that impressed with the city in general. The only thing I really liked was a road leading up to the stadium at UT, with a bunch of college bars and restaurants - it looked like a nicer version of the neighborhood around Legion Field in B'ham.

As far as in-city universities go, I prefer USC and Columbia to UT and Knoxville.
that road is "The Strip," and well, i don't like it. i used to like it better in high school/early college visits for the alternative music/clothes and comic book stores, which have been replaced with even more sports bars. there's still a few good places (Stefano's, The Sunspot if it's there, Old College Inn) on it though. yes, a nicer area of the sprawl around Legion Field...although The Strip shouldn't be sprawl at all, and was once just UT and the old neighborhood of Fort Sanders (there's still a lot of nice old houses and apartment buildings nearby.)

and yes, i preferred USC/Columbia so much to UT/Knoxville that i went to USC. :cheers:

NewPortRicheyGuy said:
Knoxville, the main part, isn't that interesting. I can agree that it is a scummy city that needs some spring time clean up and some things must go, like that one statue with a gold ball on it, I think it's ugly. More of the surrounding areas are awesome. You Calhouns(sp?) resaurants are great.

If any of ur friends just graduated, tell them great job.
well, here's where it becomes important. visit UT, visit the program you want to do there, and good luck with that decision. i'd rather go to college in Knoxville than UF easily, but that's me. i'm also bored by the tourist areas of Pigeon Forge/etc...but i can see why someone not from the area would like it. the mountains away from the over-tourist traps are nice...shooting, hiking, etc...

that said, it's not a statue with a gold ball on it, and no, it's not going anywhere...that's a stupid suggestion. even if it is ugly, well...it's a relic from the 1982 World's Fair, and is famous thanks to being on an episode of the Simpsons. the restaurant up there needs to be rennovated...it'd be nice views of the city and the mountains in the area. the current mayor Haslam (or county commissioner Ragsdale, who seems to be the real leader in the area) wants it fixed up.

that said, i had a similar feeling when i visited Columbia while in high school, and i'm moving back there soon, so if you like it, be sure to check it out.

that said, downtown Knoxville's small but really nice, and is getting better between the improvements in the Old City and Market Square rehabilitation. Regal Cinemas is supposed to be putting in a downtown movie theatre (long overdue,) so it's more than just a playground for UT fans after games now.

the rest of the Knoxville is a mess of sprawl, although there's some interesting places out among it. but if you're going to UT, you'll be fine as far as environment.

that's my 3rd rant for today.

-

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I think Knoxville along with Chattanooga are 2 of the most underrated mid sized cities in the U.S. Yes, Gatlinburg and the Smokies are breathtaking. Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg are all fun towns. While in that are visit Cherokee, NC. It is another beautiful park with a big sense of Native American culture. I just love that are. It is so green and peaceful.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
New Port Richey guy- What will you be studying in college? Maybe you could look into Mercer- Great school in nice town.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
macon: Well, I have 3 things I want to do. Meteorologist, Lawyer or a Doctor. I have no idea what UT hasand already know some schools that do meteorology.

·
Registered
289 Posts
NewPortRicheyGuy said:
macon: Well, I have 3 things I want to do. Meteorologist, Lawyer or a Doctor. I have no idea what UT hasand already know some schools that do meteorology.
If you want to be a lawyer or doctor, then go to Ole Miss. The acceptance rate to medical school is 75%, while the national average is 30%. Some of the top private schools are higher, but at five times the price and not near as much fun (or as many beautiful women). It's also a lawyer's school. Pre-law programs are excellent. Graduates regularly go to the top law schools in the country. A friend of mine graduated from Ole Miss and went on to become the editor of the law journal at Virginia. You'll have the time of your life in Oxford, and you get to live in the best town in the South.

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
NewPortRicheyGuy said:
The city isn't that much stunning, it lacks landscaping and needs to be clean up a lot, espicially near the UT campus, but taking the highway to the Apallaicha Stare Park and going though the awesome Big towns, like Gatlinburg and forgot the city, but had awesome family activities, makes me want to go again. They had helicopter tour rides for $10, yes, $10. I was amazed.

I meant the mountains. Not the city itself. LOL!!! I have heard, and I think it has been said in here, that the city is rather "dirty".

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
macon4ever said:
Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg are all fun towns. While in that are visit Cherokee, NC. It is another beautiful park with a big sense of Native American culture. I just love that are. It is so green and peaceful.
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to stay away from those towns when I'm in the mountains. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge remind me of Myrtle Beach (with rocks instead of sand), and Cherokee is basically a whorehouse of native culture. If I go to the mountains, it's to enjoy the serenity and sublime beauty of the Appalachian ridges. The tourist traps therein are not all that appealing.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We never stopped at Pigeon Forge, but would had liked to. Dad got some info on how to rent an cabin to stay in for awhile, so that would be fun. So does that long stretch of road that goes trough Gatlinburg go to NC?

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I-275westcoastfl said:
Knoxville better than florida lol? :wtf:
I'm not much of a Florida person. Yes I do like the beaches, but I can go to them for the summer. Knoxville has an openness to it and that's what I like. It's between staying in Florida, moving to Knoxville or moving to England.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts