SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Sorry to intrude into your sub-section but I thought you guys would be the best source of unbiased infos about Canada!

After long discussions with my girlfriend over our holiday destination we decided for New York and East Canada. We are pretty excited about it but haven't got a real travel plan and were wondering whether you guys could give us any valuable suggestion.

We are flying into New York, spending a week there and then travel somehow north to Canada where we plan to spend three weeks.

We have a return flight to Europe from Montreal, we'll be going to Toronto, maybe Quebec City and this is pretty much what we got at the moment.

We'd love to do a bit of nature, some rafting (any good place there?), maybe whale watching (again, is it worth it? is it the right season?), rent a car and travel around.

If you had three weeks to play with in Eastern Canada, where would you go?

I was also playing with the idea of travel Canada across either by train of car, but I have been told that the central part of the country is quite boring and then we would not probably have enough time to see something decent on both sides.

As you may have guessed we are a bit lost at the moment and would really appreciate a couple of tips on some cool places you know.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Camaway said:
We have a return flight to Europe from Montreal, we'll be going to Toronto, maybe Quebec City and this is pretty much what we got at the moment.
Ok well first of all, its not maybe Quebec City, its must Quebec City. If you're going to be in the area don't pass up on maybe the most beautiful and unique city in North America, so yeah Quebec City is a must, lol.

And I dont know much about Maritimes, but I have been to Nova Scotia and I'd highly recommend going around the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.

This is the Cabot Trail

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
Site about the National parks in Quebec. You'll find everything about wildlife and activities you can do outside in these parks.

http://www.sepaq.com/En/index.cfm

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you're thinking about travelling the country the best way to do it is by rail. What you can do is purchase a special pass from VIA rail that allows you to basically stop in a city for a couple days if you like and then board again for some other destination. I'm not sure about the cost but even I'd pay it considering what you get for it.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
If rafting is your thing, then make sure you try the Ottawa River...damned good world class rafting to be had...and not far from Ottawa.

KGB

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
malek said:
the whale watching thing is near Quebec city.

when exactly do you plan on coming?
We'll be in Canada from the 2nd of June, is that a good time for whale watching?

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KGB said:
If rafting is your thing, then make sure you try the Ottawa River...damned good world class rafting to be had...and not far from Ottawa.

KGB
Good to hear! Did you raft there? Any operator to recommend/avoid at all costs?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
If you have three weeks, you could feasibly do Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Quebec.

The best place for whale watching is Newfoundland. You can simply drive on any country road (they're all right by the sea) and you'll see plenty of whales. For free. Plus, at this time of year, there should be lots of iceburgs floating around too. You can't miss that sort of thing.

I would take a flight to St.Johns. Drive across Newfoundland to see Gros Morne National Park. Take the ferry across to Nova Scotia; drive across Cape Breton Island (the Cabot Trail pic that Dr Joe posted), thats one of the most scenic drives in the country. Check out Halifax. Drive across New Brunswick to Quebec. See the Charlevoix region, and the Gaspe if you have time. Make time for at least 2 nights in Quebec City, and 3 nights or more in Montreal.

It's alot of driving, but it's worth it. A warning though... Canada is a vast, vast country. Be prepared for long drives where theres nothing but trees and rock, especially across Newfoundland and New Brunswick. Really, what you would want to concentrate on in a trip like this is St. Johns, coastal villages of Newfoundland, Cape Breton, Halifax, the countryside along the St.Lawrence River, Quebec City and Montreal. Newfoundland seems like a long way to go, but's unlike any other province or state... very beautiful.

I think theres a ferry that goes from somewhere in Maine to St. Johns (if you can't get a flight), but I'm not sure. My parents and I did an east coast trip from Toronto to St.John's and back... it can be done. You likely won't be able to include Toronto in your trip. If you do have an idle day in Montreal though, Ottawa is just a few hours away, and is worth seeing.

good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Riverrun is a good company that I can vouch for with regards to white water rafting down the Ottawa river.

You'll definately want to check out Montreal and Quebec City. It's as close to europe as you'll get in North America.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Are you more interested in scenary or cities?

If you're going to NYC, probably leave some time for Philadelphia and Boston.

Montreal, Quebec City is a must see.

Chicago may be a stretch, but nonetheless an exciting place to be.

Canada's most spectacular scenary is on the West Coast, but you can save that for a future California - Pacific NorthWest trip. Banff, BC & the Rockies are OMG beautiful..Vancouver, spectacular setting of a city. Calgary is great too.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
If you want a city vacation, you might as well spend more time in NYC, do Boston, and skip Philadelphia. Boston's on your way out east anyways.

Don't forgo Montreal or Quebec City for any american cities.. they are unique to say the least.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
^I agree. Skip Philly. I only go there cause I can get a $15 dollar return bus ride from NYC. I would go NYC, Boston, Montreal, with a day trip to Quebec City, and spend a couple of days staying at the ski mini townTremblant. Its amazing in the summers, it truely is the banff of the east. I would even say to skip Boston, you can do the Quincy Market type things but really, if your already going to NYC, and have limited time than whats the point?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well before I can recommend anything what are you wanting to see in Canada. If its scenery or cities then things change. And I must also say no one mentioned our Capital CIty. Ottawa is often overlooked but its a great city and I would visit it if I were you.

·
Rimini expat
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
big W said:
Well before I can recommend anything what are you wanting to see in Canada. If its scenery or cities then things change. And I must also say no one mentioned our Capital CIty. Ottawa is often overlooked but its a great city and I would visit it if I were you.
Well, I want to see some of the cities but we are probably more interested in seeing the fantastic natural beauties of your countries. I really like cities but we are already spending a week in New York. We'll be for a couple of days in Toronto and we are flying back from Montreal.
Coming from Europe I am not sure it is really worth spending too much time in cities that are as close to Europe as you can get in North America. But then maybe I am wrong and I am going to love Quebec City.

We are not massive outdoor guys but we'd love to see some cool park, do some fun stuff and have a route that makes sense.

Would it be worth to rent a car?

·
Registered
973 Posts
If your visiting eastern Canada you wont find a spectacular natural setting, there are some good national parks in Quebec and Atlantic Canada, but if you want to be wowed you'll have to visit western Canada.

You have 3 weeks so that’s a lot of time. If I were you I would spend 2 weeks checking out all the sights in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. Then I would fly out to Vancouver and spend a few days on the west coast before taking a train threw the Rockies stopping in Banff and then fly back to Montreal from Calgary.

West Coast

·
Registered
303 Posts
Camaway what are you looking for in terms of natural scenery. WHile its true that the most spectacular is out west, there is tonnes to see and do in Ontario and Quebec. With pure wilderness never too far.

One thing to consider is Algonquin provincial park in Ontario. As well as the laurentide in Quebec.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts