SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, and I'm not talking about OHare airport. I am on vacation and had a 3 hour layover at OHare on my way to St Louis. I daringly took the blue line to downtown Chicago. Knowing that the clock was ticking (and the huge risk of missing my flight that I was taking), I walked around briskly, west to Wells St. and up to Wacker, then east back to State. I then walked to Millennium park and briefly walked to Lakeshore East. I then hurried back, got on the 'L, and made it back to Ohare. Everything turned out okay.

Was it crazy? Sure. But then, I'm a bit crazy about Chicago, and I rarely ever get to be there. Not 1,000 of the best pictures by anyone comes within even a mile of the effect the city actually has on you in person. To the average pedestrian, just the scale of the city, esp downtown, is awe-inspiring. It was probably a bit of a silly venture that I took yesterday but it was TOTALLY worth it.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

PS: BTW, I really like the Clark/Lake parking garage. You can't even tell, plus it's loaded with ground-level retail

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
wow, that felt pretty rushed. Too bad, you couldnt take the next flight.

Are you happy now, about the express trains? BTW, how long is the train ride from downtown to Ohare??

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,334 Posts
qwerty1324 said:
Did you make it to Bridgeport Village?
U obviously didn't read his post 2 clearly. Why in the hell would he attempt to make it to Bridgeport Village? He daringly to the El downtown, walked around quickly and headed back to the airport.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
The Urban Politician said:
Was it crazy? Sure. But then, I'm a bit crazy about Chicago, and I rarely ever get to be there.
Urban Politician, you don't have to get to the Windy City often to be considered the 100%, unequivocable,true blue, real Chicagoan that you are!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi, I'am from Brooklyn, New York and I really want to go to Chicago really badlly. Do you know what is the cheapest method of going to Chicago?

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Archit_K said:
Hi, I'am from Brooklyn, New York and I really want to go to Chicago really badlly. Do you know what is the cheapest method of going to Chicago?
ATA runs some pretty cheap flights (LaGuardia/Midway)

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JivecitySTL said:
What are you doing in Saint Louis?
Visiting my brother. It's a good time I've had on this vacation. St Louis is very nice, a good urban environment--littered, however, with far too much suburban crap. St Louis has lost much of its urban integrity with the exception of great hoods like Central West End (where my bro lives--in fact, I write this message right now from the "Coffee Cartel" in Central West End.
Also good are the Hill, Clayton, Delmar Loop, and a few others.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The Urban Politician said:
Visiting my brother. It's a good time I've had on this vacation. St Louis is very nice, a good urban environment--littered, however, with far too much suburban crap. St Louis has lost much of its urban integrity with the exception of great hoods like Central West End (where my bro lives--in fact, I write this message right now from the "Coffee Cartel" in Central West End.
Also good are the Hill, Clayton, Delmar Loop, and a few others.
I remember the Coffee Cartel very well from my college days. Used to live right up the street on Maryland. Coffee Cartel is right next to the former home of MPO'reilly's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts