SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go to New York, but....

all hotels are expensive. I went to a travel agency and brought 3 Magazines full of hotels home. But everyone is to expensive.

An example: Gershwin Hotel
This hotel has only 2 stars but one night alone in this hotel costs 160€ per night in september. I spent 80€ per night in a 3 star hotel in the center of Tokyo. I can`t spent so much money...

If i don`t find a cheap one i must choose a other city for my next visit.
My hotel room should have at least an own shower. I don`t need much in my hotel room because i only sleep and take a shower there. The rest of the day i explore the city.

·
Registered
208 Posts
try these...

Embassy Suites – Battery Park (102 North End Avenue, 212-945-0100) Kind of out of the way and quiet – but east to get everywhere.

The Hampton Inn in Chelsea (108 W. 24th Street, 212-414-1000)

The Red Roof Inn in Midtown South (6 West 32nd Street, 212-643-7100) I love this area – 32nd street is Little Korea – and very close to everything

Howard Johnson Plaza in Theater District (8th Ave Between 51 & 52, 212-581-4100) In the center of Midtown West

·
Canadiense
1,305 Posts
I'm planning a trip to New York in July as well.

Are there any other suggestions for a hotel that is affordable?!?!?!

Somewhere in Manhattan within walking distance of all the best stuff?

So far the Y does not look so bad....

Help a bro from T.O.!

·
Needs more Tokyo!
1,159 Posts
My advice is not to travel alone... When AE and me went there, we took 2 others with us, and we ended up having a hotel room costing each of us 30 euros a night. That's very cheap, considering we were in the center of NY, near the Flatiron Building.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tom_Green said:
If i don`t find a cheap one i must choose a other city for my next visit.
My hotel room should have at least an own shower. I don`t need much in my hotel room because i only sleep and take a shower there. The rest of the day i explore the city.
Have you checked Expedia or Travelocity? Also, consider staying at a hostel.

Finally, consider staying in New Jersey or Staten Island and commuting into Manhattan.

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NegaSado said:
My advice is not to travel alone... When AE and me went there, we took 2 others with us, and we ended up having a hotel room costing each of us 30 euros a night. That's very cheap, considering we were in the center of NY, near the Flatiron Building.
I travelled to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Dubai and Osaka alone. I don`t like compromises during my trips.

I can spent around 100$ per night.
What i want: a hotel in Manhattan. And i want a shower in my room. I think this should be possible with 100$ per night.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I got a deal at the Pickwick Arms hotel (?) in midtown east. 55/night. Excellent view of that tall white building with a triangular sloping top (one of the 1000 footers).

NY frickin exhausts me every time I go. F'in INCREDIBLE city.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Tom_Green said:
I travelled to Tokyo, Hong Kong, Dubai and Osaka alone. I don`t like compromises during my trips.

I can spent around 100$ per night.
What i want: a hotel in Manhattan. And i want a shower in my room. I think this should be possible with 100$ per night.

there is an 'hotel' called the YMCA, it's there very cheap. but i think it's not higher than 2 stars.

but the question is, how long do you want to new york?
as this is an weekend (2,3, or 4 days) than you better can take an city-trip. that's very cheap for what you've got.

i come from the netherlands and i've take an city trip to new york a few years ago. the tickets from amsterdam - new york are normally 260 euro's but the hole city trip was just 450 euro's for 4 days.

so you can better take a city trip, or an all-in holiday.
www.newyork.nl

·
Atlien
305 Posts
You're going to be hard pressed to find a decent hotel with your own shower and clean accomodations for $100 a night on Manhattan. Your best bet is to look at places in Brooklyn or Jersey and subway it each morning to Manhattan.

·
121,781 Posts
NYU has some apartments for rent during the summer months at very low prices :
http://www.nyu.edu/summer/housing/application_rates.php

The highest cost is US$285 a week in an air-conditioned single bedroom within an apartment. Many universities offer their residences during the summer months at very good prices.

·
4,559 Posts
Or you could consider a hotel in Jersey City.

New York really got a problem with reasonable priced hotels. Most of them have shared facilities. And rooms with old furniture.

Be aware of the YMCA Greenpoint. The room pictures on the website are only from more expensive ones. The ones for $40 are very very small (only old bed and small desk) and when I stayed there in 2001 there where bed bugs (although cleaning used special spray to get rid of them). And their shared facilities are very basic.

You might check out the Malibu Hotel although it is not clear if private bathrooms are offered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New York Yankee said:
i come from the netherlands and i've take an city trip to new york a few years ago. the tickets from amsterdam - new york are normally 260 euro's but the hole city trip was just 450 euro's for 4 days.
260 euro for one-trip or return?

@tom Green

white house hostel (greenwich village):

32 dollar for one person in a 3m² room and a shared shower - clean shower!

It was OK for this price!

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your help everyboddy.

The prices for the hotels in Manhattan are extrem.

I don`t want to fly this year but next year. I want to stay for 8 days.

I found something interesting. I could stay 2 days shorter and instead in september i could fly in august and with the money i safe i could stay in the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. One night in this 5 star hotel costs 128€. I know this is much but i will get much for my money not like in a Manhattan hotel.

How is the weather in the end of August ?

·
Canadiense
1,305 Posts
The Pickwick?

Joe84323 said:
I got a deal at the Pickwick Arms hotel (?) in midtown east. 55/night. Excellent view of that tall white building with a triangular sloping top (one of the 1000 footers).

NY frickin exhausts me every time I go. F'in INCREDIBLE city.
What a coincidence! I checked Expedia.ca on the advice of many and I browsed through a number of options and the Pickwick looks good! Its a 2 Star hotel, it has a 73% approval rating, and is near everything in Midtown Manhattan.

Are there any local New Yorkers that could give me their advice/opinion on this hotel?

Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts