SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick to my teeth of these reps from companies who stop you in the middle of the street and ask "have you had an injury at work or in public within the last three years". Ugh!!!!!!

They are everywhere in Brum. I walk down a side street to get away from them, but they are still there. I go down New Street and they have formed a box right across the street, 4 of them forming a wall so you cannot avoid them, and then 30m further there is another wall of them. It's got so bad they are now covering the doors to such places as the Bullring.

No I do not want to sue people, and if I did I would do it myself.

I get this everyday in Brum. I get at least stopped twice just trying to get from MP to BNS. Perhaps we should sue them for harassment instead.

Jaysus, go and buy a retail store like every other salesman in Brum rather than forcing us to stop with their stupid clipboards and coats that are 10 sizes too big.

You can see them stopping people, and pedestrian traffic builds up as they are blocking the streets.

Comments please.

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
One day I will avenge these people. The day of Judgment is near.

Sorry, err. lost it a bit there. One day a council will work out that people are avoiding the town center because of these ejiots, ban them for a week, notice the increase in sales etc and 2 months later they'll be off our streets for good. Well I hope so anyway.

·
Simples
6,757 Posts
Haha i like that Goth

But it's not just the lawyers on New Street it's the Scientoligists at the top end by Victoria square.. who's been jumped out at by a far too enthusiastic young girl of mixed raced heritage asking you if you want a stress test then?

There's usually some people doing surveys about half way down, then the usual collection of street vendors with weird toys walking arround, Big issue sellers, EvninMail /Latedition.. ask them for a B'ham post about 5'oclock and see the look you get, add to this the odd rather aggressive druggie beggar and it's a positive minefield walking down New Street especially at peak times.

edit.. oh btw nothing against anybody selling on the streets just they shouldn't be allowed to stick it in your face... that annoys me. You wouldn't believe how many trains i am suddenly late for.

·
Simples
6,757 Posts
Go on pauliew what are Chuggers then?

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Scientoligists are not that bad, they stick around there table. I just replied once, yeah I'm stressed, I'm stressed because I'm about to miss my train.

Big Issue sellers, they are not bad, you can just say no and they do not bother you. You usually get a smile back from them.

The people selling balloons, and the man who makes the bird whistle sounds, they are ok, add a little bit to the feeling.

I'm still trying to understand what the people who sell the newspapers are trying to shout out. Wolverhampton is worse, they try to shout the same but sound drunk.

I did once say to th lawyers, "I will sue you if you stop me one more time". Maybe I should say I want to sue the guys further down, as there are multiple companies down a single street. These guys are plain rude and follow you, usually from Primark all the way to HMV waning to ask you questions. I have tried "I'm 17" approach, but I'm 21 now and starting to look past 18. Multiple occasions I ended up not buying something I needed as I avoided town to get away from these guys, so yes Stephen, I agree with hat you said.

The people who give out free incense can be bad at times waning to ask personal questions.

The animal rights people are starting to get a problem. They once stopped me and said it was awful I had leather shoes on. I'm not a vegetarian, and as far as I know, leather comes from cow which I eat all the time. Why waste more of the cow I love to eat.

Paul, yes 'chuggers' are there. Chuggers are people who work for charities and mug you of your money Engels.

I actively work for a charity and have done for 11 years, we sometimes raise money by collecting on the streets, however we have our own stand, which we also use for recruiting. We can raise more than chuggers who force you to stop in the street, we also never get and horrid looks apart from the odd shout or two from chavs (one go arrested once for anti-social). We do it 2 - 3 times a year, no every day like chuggers.

·
Ow'amya ?
512 Posts
I reply ...

The lawyers ... i laugh at them and keep going, it's their problem if they decide to get in my way.

I was in the chippy with an employee who's hand was bandaged [fallen of his bike pissed] and one of them jumped him " had an accident at work mate, you can sue for that you know ? " the lad turned to me and asked if i would mind him sueing me ?. The legal beagle fucked off without his chips :)

Scientoligists " Sod off brainwashed ... Ron Hubbard was a wanker "

Chuggers " Which Charity ? .... thanks, i'll make a contribution direct to them "

Big Issue sellers ... a polite " Not today thank you " but i must admit i am tiring of them, when you walk across town twice a day it can get tedious being asked 5 or 6 times.

Homeless [?] beggars in nice trainers ... " **** Off "

If he's there, the tramp who sits in the subway running under Great Charles Street and asks for nothing ? ... he gets quid or 2, he always say's thank you and wishes me good luck.

Years ago, outside Kings Heath library there used to be this bloke who would ask for 2p for a cup of tea. One day i was ready for him, " here's 4p, get me one " that was the last time he troubled me. :)

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
They are salespeople.

They get paid for selling their product.

So next time you have a spare day, go into town and speak to them..... For the whole day.... They won't sell anything, won't earn any money and be forced to get a proper job.

·
ISAO OKANO
4,584 Posts
Engels said:
But it's not just the lawyers on New Street it's the Scientoligists at the top end by Victoria square.. who's been jumped out at by a far too enthusiastic young girl of mixed raced heritage asking you if you want a stress test then?

possibly every day.

chuggers seemed to have died off in london anyway - they seemd to peak around 2002.

cantt stand that bird noise guy
And please people don't call these personal injury people lawyers they are nothing of the sort. They probably only have one lawyer in their whole firm.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
The bird guys are just annoying immigrants from the Mediterranian trying to sell stuff which has value similar to that of nail clippings. I mean, sure! they make your whistle sound cool but do they sound anything like the birds you get around Birmingham? I don't think so.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Stephen Robinson said:
One day I will avenge these people. The day of Judgment is near.

Sorry, err. lost it a bit there. One day a council will work out that people are avoiding the town center because of these ejiots, ban them for a week, notice the increase in sales etc and 2 months later they'll be off our streets for good. Well I hope so anyway.

It's very easy to deal with these people mate!

We get them everywhere, and of course they always say the same thing. But this is how I dealt with a couple of them when they tried to stop me in my tracks whilst I was laden with three bags of shopping and a bulging rucksack on my right shoulder....I guess I just wasn't in the mood for ANYONE invading my space on these two occasions....

Number 1:
Street Salesman: "Any accidents sir?"
Me: "Yeah! Being born! Now if you don't mind....."

Number 2:
Street Salesman "Had any injuries at work sir?"
Me: "No - but would you like one?"

In both cases they were too gobsmacked to say anything else in reply and gave me a deservedly wide berth. And I should blolody well think so too! :D

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Erebus555 said:
The bird guys are just annoying immigrants from the Mediterranian trying to sell stuff which has value similar to that of nail clippings. I mean, sure! they make your whistle sound cool but do they sound anything like the birds you get around Birmingham? I don't think so.

Here in Market Street, Manchester, the latest "fad" is for those giant bubble-making guns - they blow these HUUUUUGE bastard bubbles that fill the street and get all in your face. Now I don't really mind any of this shit normallly as you're going to expect tat being sold on ANY high street as a rule but it does get somewhat annoying when you're trying to walk down the road and every few seconds you get loads of soap bubbles exploding in your face.....it's like some sort of Japanese water torture sometimes! :bash:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Blimey, if you said something like that to one of the bird men they'd just walk off. They only know a selected vocabulary:
"Bird whizzle."
"£1"
"Yes"
"I say English good not"

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
These annoying twats have infested Manchester as well. Usually there's about ten of them on Market Street. I used to answer 'no' everytime I was asked if I 'had any accidents in the past 3 years', now I don't even bother acknowledging them.

They aren't lawyers themselves though, they are laypeople. They serve as another unavoidable example of the ridiculously OTT compensation culture in this country. Imagine what would happen if you tripped over a pavement crack in front of a gaggle of them - they'd swarm you.

Market researchers are more annoying.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Remind them of the fate of all the people who worked for Claims Direct and ask them why that happened. That'll give 'em something to ponder over.

·
Registered
968 Posts
New Street is a nightmare these days: just like wandering through a mine field wondering when you're gonna get pounced by salespeeps, lawyer-types, chuggers, noseygits-with-clipboards, do-gooders, balloonies, beggers etc etc. And the'yre just the legit types, never mind about the muggers, pick-pockets, car-jackers and other chavy riff-raff!

Just getting to the Bull-Ring from the Council House without been hooked deserves a medal on its own!

Trouble is though I doubt if the Council or the Old Bill can do to move these people on. But it sure aint going to attract more people into the town with all that kind of harrassment.

·
ISAO OKANO
4,584 Posts
caw123 said:
. They serve as another unavoidable example of the ridiculously OTT compensation culture in this country..

Much as I dislike personal injury firms I do think the OTT compensation culture is a media myth. As with crime the fear of it can cause more damage than the reality. Unlike the uS you firms cant act on a contingency basis (though you cna use conditional fees) and that makes a difference.

Some schools for example have now cancelled trips because of the fear of being sued but Ill give a dancing banana to anyone who can guess the actual number of times that a school has ever been successfully sued by a pupil on a school trip.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I got hit with a sign board once when walking to the BullRing. It was some bloke who worked for Pizza Hut and he was basically standing over the road from it with a huge sign saying "Pizza Hut! New Offer! 200 metres away --->" The sign was a little inaccurate but the bloke was about to walk off when he swung the board around and it hit me. I told him he was a lucky bastard...

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Yeah - I fully agree about it being impossible to walk in a straight line down a busy shopping street these days. I say we should all watch that video to The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" again and start perfecting our mega-cocky and arrogant "couldn't give a fooking shit - AND WHAT ARE YOU GONNA FOOKIN' DO ABOUT IT FOOKFACE?" Richard Ashcroft swagger down the street - smashing into everything and everyone that dares get in our way (but of course, wear some specially reinforced padding beneath our tops/jackets for extra bounce-off-a-bility from each impact). It would be funny to see hundreds of clipboards get sent flying into the air with angry protestations and raised fists swearing vengeance emanating in our wake!

How about it folks?? :tongue2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts