SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Amsprop is an investment firm owned by Sir Alan Sugar and controlled by his son Daniel.

In September 2006 it bought the IBM South Bank building from private investors for £115 million. (UK European Investments bought the 217,000 sq ft building in 2003 for £76.5 million.)

The IBM Centre occupies a prime site between the river and Upper Ground east of the National Theatre and west of ITV's London Television Centre. IBM's lease runs for another eight years.

The trade press speculates that the site is likely to present a major redevelopment opportunity. (Source: London SE1 news).

In the 13th June 2007 episode of The Apprentice, the two finalists will be shown proposing designs for the building to replace the IBM building.

·
Registered
22,178 Posts
Even as a fan of brutalism I hate this building. It's incredibly unremarkable and very arrogant on the south bank - the corner of the building juts literally into the pedestrian walk forcing them in a certain direction, and faces the river with the service area and car park.

I will not be sorry to see it go.

I would support a tower here, as long as it is to the rear of the site, and produced a better environment facing the river. Heightwise of course it would be similar to Doon Street and the old LWT building.

·
Administrator
31,679 Posts
yeah, i got this press release earlier. its good on so many different levels -
it opens the development process up to the public
it also embarasses further the vaizey's of the world who say there's no business case for such buildings. here they'll specifically have to make one !

·
BLAND
8,856 Posts
Thank God! I thought you were talking about Kent House. I think that Kent House (ITV) should be kept as it is. The base is really special (studios etc)

The IBM building is so easy to forget.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of any of those brutalist buildings along the south bank (i like certain aspects of them, but as a whole they just look ugly).

I'll be glad to see the IBM building go, hopefully it will be a residential tower - it would be perfect for the south bank.

·
Divemaster!
6,680 Posts
Now if they could only knock down that dull, unremarkable, tacky tower block to the right of the Old IBM building...oh wait, that's a new proposed tower... :eek:hno:

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
:)

Yes that is a really unremarkable render - but I have to say with the Doon Street revision there is a certain continuity between the buildings.

I wish I could watch the show, I think that's a great idea - maybe it will end up on 'you tube'?

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
demolition starts 2014 :lol:

this thread is going to dry up quickly. I quite like the existing building, but I'm not going to comlain about a replacement.

I've really warmed to Doon Street Tower's new design for some reason, i suprise myself. I absolutely hated it at first... but it kind of suits the location and surroundings

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
:)

Yes that is a really unremarkable render - but I have to say with the Doon Street revision there is a certain continuity between the buildings.

I wish I could watch the show, I think that's a great idea - maybe it will end up on 'you tube'?
You might be able to get it on U-Torrent. Or even the BBC website??

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
As I have said in another thread those with Google Earth/Sketchup should try to come up with their own designs to see if we can better those of the TV show:)

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Well, I've chucked a one together quickly:

Top down view showing the floorplans relative to the current building and the new space created

View from the south:

View from the Northbank:

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
See, I thought about that, but isn't demolision supposed to start in 2014? So it probably won't start construction for 10 years, after all the other towers are up. I personally think you would be able to get away with a tower of that height. Remember, the spire won't be able to ruin the views of st James park either.

And I don't think Alan Sugar would let EH boss him about tbh like some of the other developers do.

·
Futurist
38,247 Posts
Nice texture on the facade, but the design isn't very imaginative. How about a tapering shape that narrows towards the top, some setbacks to break up the monotony and a bit of detail in the crown?

Don't get me wrong, it looks okay, but for Central London it needs to be higher quality.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Looking at side views, it does actually taper in at the top, and regarding the crown, there is an external public viewing gallery which you can just about make out. Plus, it only took me 30 minutes, so it's just to kind of give an idea of what could be done with the site:)

Btw the smaller building is for cafes/resteraunts/bars whatever and is set back much further from the river

·
Registered
750 Posts
Why arnt big companies fighting to make high-rise buildings in the docklands and the city.

You’ve all seen the IBM building in Chicago!

Then look at the multi-storey car park they use in London

1 - 20 of 77 Posts