SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Iceland MotoPark

The main designer is Marko Bowen who has designed courses in Dubai and is working on renevating the Silverstone course. Bowen
says the main objective of the Iceland Moto Park is to increase tourism into the country.

The project will include a hotel, restaurtants, cinemas, night clubs, health clubs, conference halls. The looks of all buildings will
have references to Formula 1 cars. “I see the potential of organizing major auto tournaments on the course in the future,” said
Bowen. Around the course a urban area of around 5 - 8.000 people is planned. The project will be built in stages, with
construction star in the end of 2006. The 370 hectare large project will be built near the city of Keflavík, just south of the
capital of Iceland, Reykjavik.

The course will not be eligable for F1 racing but it will be eligable for A1 racing in the future. The motorsport element of the
development incorporates an FIA homologated Category 2 race circuit of 4.2km, running in an anti-clockwise direction, which,
using link sections, can simultaneously operate two shorter club racing circuits of 2.1km and 2.2km in length. A range of
road safety driver training facilities are also planned, along with an FIA sanctioned quarter-mile drag strip, 1.2km kart circuit
and selection of motocross and off-road activities.

> Large size image (7.5MB | 7875x4678)

> Large size image (3.1MB | 5000x2299)

> Large size image (0.3MB/302kB | 3979x1700)

> Large size image (1.2MB | 3540x1492)

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
Wow, thats a really nice track.
fast, flowing, but still breaking up the straights enough for overtaking.

much better than most of the Hermann Tilke ciruits F1 seems to have become addiced to.

·
-
3,628 Posts
What a boring circuit, terrible. The other ideas are quite interesting and cool.

·
Premium member
9,950 Posts
Looks indeed very futuristic and nice. However, I would not want to live next to a F1 circuit. Just too much noise. Thet should build the project without the circuit.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
How many Icelandic F1 drivers are there in Keflavik? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be built nearer Reykjavik? It is where all the tourists go, me included. Those towers with the lights at the top look stunning.

·
Premium member
9,950 Posts
Gherkin007 said:
How many Icelandic F1 drivers are there in Keflavik? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be built nearer Reykjavik? It is where all the tourists go, me included. Those towers with the lights at the top look stunning.
Keflavik is the airport of Reykjavik. Its not realy far away.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
goschio said:
Keflavik is the airport of Reykjavik. Its not realy far away.
Keflavik is also a city, in the metro area of Reykjavik. So the distance between Reykjavik and the MotoPark is just a few miles actually.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Very space age looking. Looks like something from Star Wars.

·
39,653 Posts
Amazing project, nice tower, but unimaginative circuit. I don't like long first-corners... take a leaf out of Sao Paulo, Spa Fra.. or Suzuka: iconic opening corners.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts