New York has many famous streets whose names convey their function:

Broadway: theatre
42nd St: also theatre
Wall St: stock market
Fifth Ave: retail
Madison Ave: advertising
Seventh Ave: fashion industry
Park Ave: high rise residential wealth

outside of NYC, it is harder to find such streets that have national fame and a function as well. Some may be:

Las Vegas Strip: gambling and hotels
Michigan Ave (Mag Mile), Chicago: shopping
Collins Ave, Miami Beach: oceanfront hotels and condos
Grant Ave, SF: Chinatown
Sunset Boulevard, LA: the California Dream
Pennsylvania Avenue, DC: the axis of government

What other famous, iconic US streets convey a sense of role or function?

·
Banned
523 Posts
Atlanta:

Auburn Ave - Sweet Auburn, the Civil Rights Movement, The King National Historic Site and The King Center.

Peachtree St - center of commerce in Atlanta, desired address, Midtown Mile.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rodeo Drive is a famous street. Actually I don't know what it's famous for, so that kind of defeats the purpose of this.
how in the hell did i miss Rodeo Drive?

I'd also add one more in LA:

Wilshire Boulevard. Famous for a lot of things, I think today Wilshire is famous for being the linear, high rise connector of the east and west parts of the LA basin within city limits. The Wilshire corridor exemplifies non-downtown centralization in LA.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
how in the hell did i miss Rodeo Drive?

I'd also add one more in LA:

Wilshire Boulevard. Famous for a lot of things, I think today Wilshire is famous for being the linear, high rise connector of the east and west parts of the LA basin within city limits. The Wilshire corridor exemplifies non-downtown centralization in LA.
Wilshire also serves as somewhat of a divider line between weathly LA and poor LA. I'd say that Melrose Avenue is probably more well known than Wilshire though. The TV show helped, and it's also a funky shopping area.
A lot of LA's east-west streets are well-known....Sunset Blvd, Hollywood Blvd, Melrose Ave, Santa Monica Blvd.

Don't forget about Mullholland Drive either. LA's got a lot of well known streets.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
How about K Street in DC? It's pretty much a metonym for DC's lobbying industry.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if any city ever lost an "iconic street", but we have in Chicago. At one point to Chicagoans and to thousands of conventineers and visitors, Rush Street meant endless night club and bars, the definitive entertainment strip in the shaddow of the near north skyscrapers. Property values chased away a lot of the clubs and Rush Street still has endless see-and-be-seen restaurants and entertainment to a degree, but high end retail has taken a lot of the old spots. The bar scene mainly still exists at Rush and Division.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
This is more of a local example, but for years here in SC, our state mental health hospital was located on Bull Street in Columbia. So when I was growing up, whenever someone was acting crazy or silly, we'd say, "We're taking you to Bull Street." For years I didn't know that the actual state mental health facility was on that street, but I just knew that when someone mentioned the name of the street, they essentially meant the crazy house.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You left out Hollywood Boulevard?
Pacific Coast Highway?
Ventura Boulevard?
Central Avenue?
Bruin Walk?
Westwood Boulevard?
Fairfax?
Melrose?
Colorado Boulevard? (in Pasadena)

Time for another trip out to LA Ed. It seems like you need a refresher on iconic LA streets.

And let's not forget SF, your old home town.
Grant Avernue!(actually you got that one)
Mission!
Castro!
Market Street!
Embarcadero!

and in Seattle
Skid road!

·
Registered
35 Posts
^the only roads on that list that can be called iconic are Pacific Coast Highway and Hollywood Boulevard. The other ones may be well known on the west coast, but iconic roads need to be recognized across the country. Bruin Walk, Melrose, Fairfax, Mission, Colorado Blvd....those names say nothing to me, while I can immediately associate truly iconic streets such as Wall, 5th, Rodeo, and Pennsylvania, with their function.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts