Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SSC Dominicana | Veterano
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear Skyscraperers,

Greetings from the DR sub forum. I'd like to introduce to everyone of the members and the admins my proposal, well this is technically my second proposal (my first one years ago was the thumbs up one that has been a great success as it seems ^).

Well...

Proposal: At times apart from seeing who thumbed you up on the notifications, or PMed you, it would also be nice to see who quotes us as well.

Result: This will allow us to easily navigate and interact better with one another, and have a better perspective of the conversations/ discussions. This saves time and effort, and makes the discussions more interactive/ exciting.

I've also included a poll in this thread so that we have a feel of everyone's opinions/ views into my proposals. Hope you guys like it, share your thoughts.

Thank you,
:cheers:

·
I Love Chicago!
4,386 Posts
Great idea! Often, I'm afraid if I post casually on a thread and never visit, I'll miss a question that someone might have asked me on that thread later.

·
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea! Often, I'm afraid if I post casually on a thread and never visit, I'll miss a question that someone might have asked me on that thread later.
Glad to find fellow members that share same thoughts, exactly, too many misses often as well.

·
お前のお尻
3,392 Posts
it will just further popularize majority opinion and punish dissenting ones.

imagine that thread we had recently

Person A: Forks are superior to chopsticks (gets 100 likes, 5 dislikes)
Person B: You're biased, chopsticks are superior (gets 100 dislikes, 5 likes)

given that one of my sections tends to be more Eurocentric.

·
I Love Chicago!
4,386 Posts
If you don't like a post, then just don't give it a thumbs up. Having a post with no thumbs up in a busy thread is embarrassing enough, in my opinion.

·
Registered
Coimbatore/Chennai-IN
9,054 Posts
Can you propose "reject a like" option?
You mean like thumbs down?, that would be a good idea too, although might create some conflict not sure. Unless it is done low key like on the side.
This one is different. Reject a like received. We go to Thanks/like alerts to see the list of likes received. There accept/reject option (or reject option alone) should be added. If we click reject, that should be notified to the member who liked the post. Otherwise it will be accepted.

imagine that thread we had recently

Person A: Forks are superior to chopsticks (gets 100 likes, 5 dislikes)
Person B: You're biased, chopsticks are superior (gets 100 dislikes, 5 likes)

given that one of my sections tends to be more Eurocentric.
Some members click like for both the posts. I prefer to reject likes from such members. And some members for no reason click like for every posts. That also has to be rejected.

=================

You mean like thumbs down?, that would be a good idea too, although might create some conflict not sure. Unless it is done low key like on the side.
This one I was thinking to start a separate topic. Like "like" button a "dislike" button should be added. This will avoid certain people posting biased opinion for/against certain threads.

·
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one is different. Reject a like received. We go to Thanks/like alerts to see the list of likes received. There accept/reject option (or reject option alone) should be added. If we click reject, that should be notified to the member who liked the post. Otherwise it will be accepted.
To be honest, sounds bit too complex, the simpler the better.

The simplest way is have likes how it is, and if someone dislikes a post that person is allowed but on an excluded part, liek a tiny part of the post, (on the bottom side) that way democracy stays , yet the member isn't as embarrassed/ or put on shame.

This one I was thinking to start a separate topic. Like "like" button a "dislike" button should be added. This will avoid certain people posting biased opinion for/against certain threads.
Agree, but let's all go back to the main theme... about the quoting notification that I think is a must.

·
Registered
Coimbatore/Chennai-IN
9,054 Posts
Agree, but let's all go back to the main theme... about the quoting notification that I think is a must.
Yes, you are suggesting on the lines of email notification sent by journals when your article is quoted in a new article publication.

so how you notify if someone quotes his own message?

also how you notify if a single post is split in to parts while quoting to respond?

·
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you are suggesting on the lines of email notification sent by journals when your article is quoted in a new article publication.

so how you notify if someone quotes his own message?

also how you notify if a single post is split in to parts while quoting to respond?
Simple. I've seen other forums over the years use a trigger, once you receive a reply from another member it triggers a code that will send a notification, similar or the same to that of receiving a private message or a "thumbs up" notification.

2. If someone quoted their own message it won't trigger a code. But.. if were to let say split the post into two or more parts, if your quote is within this post, it will trigger that code that will notify you.

Hope that answered your questions.

·
Registered
Coimbatore/Chennai-IN
9,054 Posts
Ok about quoting own message.

Regarding splitting single post and quoting, the example is there in your post No.13 here. You have splitted my post in to two for quoting. How many triggers the code will send? one or two? One means right. Because sometimes we can see a single post splitted into several parts while quoting for response by some members.

·
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok about quoting own message.

Regarding splitting single post and quoting, the example is there in your post No.13 here. You have splitted my post in to two for quoting. How many triggers the code will send? one or two? One means right. Because sometimes we can see a single post splitted into several parts while quoting for response by some members.
Good question.

In that case just 1, that avoids confusion, I think one is more then enough. The trigger will be made per post, no matter for many split replies it contains.

·
I Love Chicago!
4,386 Posts
Note though that in post #13, Euromax did not specifically quote your post in the second quote part, if he did that it would say "originally posted by nmin" again. I think if you were to split it apart, like in post #12, it might be hard to get the trigger to only notify once (correct me if I am wrong, I am not a computer scientist!).

·
Administrator
78,933 Posts
Thank you for all the suggestions guys! This site as you may know is going to have a major overhaul and according to the tech admins the new system will run smoother and easier for members to use than before. So we can wait to try the new forum and see what would be our next step. But of course in the mean time all suggestions are welcomed and please keep them coming! Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts