Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of that idea? I think having the aquarium and a new planetarium at the science centre makes a lot of sense. I know the Science Centre was/is thinking about building a planetarium. Add Ripley's aquarium into the mix, either on the grounds, or in the neighbourhood, and that makes Scarborough THE science tourism destination in Ontario. Think about it: the zoo, the science centre, (including a new planetarium), and an aquarium to top it off. It think this makes a lot of sense. I'd prefer to see the waterfront used for something else besides an aquarium.

·
Yonge and Eglinton-Midtwn
251 Posts
well technically the science center isn't in scarborough, its in North York I think, but I do agree with your point that it would be a good site location for a planatarium, and an aquarium, it would likely cause that strip of Don Mills to become more built up and more urban that it already is...aside from the towers taht are already there, there would possibly create a new centre for that area fo the city to use as a meeting point type of thing...interesting...

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
That is a good idea. How far is the aquarium project along? I wish we kept the McLaughlin Planetarium open, but I guess it's already being made way for a new building, right? Maybe a Planetarium by OSC isn't a bad idea either. Victoria Park is the old North York/Scarborough border, so it's not too too far, I guess.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
The Science Centre was quite the interesting place back when, but has fallen out of favour these days...I think adding some more venues to form a larger, more comprehensive cultural/institutional complex might be just the trick to bring it back up to major attraction again....it's still a very worthwhile place.

KGB

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
rt_0891 said:
There's already a (decommissioned) planetarium at the ROM. Why not use that instead?
the old panetarium site was sold for a condo development in order for the ROM to raise money for there expansion i believe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts