Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if something like this already exists, but I thought it would be cool to have thread where you can post all your hard proposals/ideas/dreams.

Here's mine:

* Several new bridges, including Saint Lucia-West End; Towong-West End; CBD-Kangaroo Point and Kangaroo Point-new Farm

* West End Boundary Street pedestrianised

* Using the new "trackless trams" of the Metro project to recreate the tram network

* Building a mirror copy of the Bicentennial Bike way on the other side of the river in West End

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Dedicated mass transit way from Kenmore - Chapel Hill - Indooroopilly - St Lucia - UQ - Cross River to West end - Cultural Centre - City. Via a series of cut and cover and driven tunnels surfacing where possible.

The completion of the busway between Windsor and Lutwyche with a new Train/Busway station interchange @ Windsor. Preferred build with driven and cut and cover tunnels

New Trackless trams could then be expanded

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
I would love to see the North West Transport Corridor resurrected to include both rail and a motorway. Its in the 20 year plan though.

Living in the north there isn't a solid highway to the CBD other than taking the Gateway Motorway along Kingsford Smith Drive. All good city's have a motorway connection to the CBD and the south has had this love. Gympie road can only take so much and 50 sets of traffic lights can be punishing.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
The Waltons Building in the Valley to be totally restored even if the apartment over supply exists.

Shutting down of The Den for a nice corner area of shops or eating places.

The removal of eating places in the Queen Street Mall so cluttered.

The Regent restored as a theatre or a crass office building, too bad about the market oversupply.

No dog parks in CBD you tear down a building something goes up immediately .

I agree with Verb about the busway and transport.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
> More bike ways - along the river & connect gateway and Kedron Brook.

> Something similar to Singapore's super tree grove in the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens to make it a little more interesting - based on local trees/plants e.g. Moreton Bay Fig, Bunya Pines etc. With viewing platform and fancy lights.

> Pedestrian/Cycle bridges - Newstead > Bulimba, KP > CBD

> Proper East-West metro

> Removal of REX

·
Registered
87 Posts
Paint the REX and Captain Cook Bridge white and install programmable LED lighting similar to what is currently on the Victoria Bridge OR ideally Projection Mapping. South Bank could have a 365/365 light show with music to watch from anywhere on the Clem Jones Promenade. Shows would be about 15 minutes in duration and have four every hour repeating from Sunset to 9PM.

> Summer Storm (lightning, rain visualizations)
> Local Aboriginal History (animated art works set to traditional music)
> Mangroves (waves, roots, fish)
>Progress (focusing on building the city, traffic, rising water levels and climate change)

>Christmas and Holidays shows

Turn an eyesore into a unique feature

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
+1 for busway extentions. The busway should go as far as Chermside in the north, Carindale in the east and Loganholme in the south.

As far as dreams go, I dream that we had a state government that was forward thinking enough (or enough in bed with big property developers like Sunland) to use the ministerial call-in or other state powers to somehow force through the Grace on Coronation development and end any ability for the NIMBYs to continue to fight or block it. (like I said, its a dream rather than something that might actually happen)

·
I only buy it for the pic
438 Posts
I'd like to see the Woollongabba Telstra tower completely painted with plants and vines to look like a piece of rainforest sticking out of the ground- it's currently a real eyesore for a potentially much nicer locality and lets down the other efforts/ new build apartments etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to see the Woollongabba Telstra tower completely painted with plants and vines to look like a piece of rainforest sticking out of the ground- it's currently a real eyesore for a potentially much nicer locality and lets down the other efforts/ new build apartments etc.

Yep, covering all the ugly concrete that's around with tropical vegetation (a la Singapore) is another one for me!

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,574 Posts
Good thread. All great ideas here. For me....

NW transport corridor road/rail
Salisbury to Flagstone rail
Yes, the Northern Busway - actually finished
UQ to Hamiton mass transit corridor
Generally, this city prioritising sustainable modes over the mass movement of passenger vehicles. It's quite depressing. We really could improve a lot of spaces with less aggressive traffic environments and quality mass transit and ped/cycle corridors.

·
Marketing & Fashion, yo.
1,384 Posts
Most of my ideas are probably pie in the sky but ....

- HSR from Sunshine Coast down to Gold Coast via Brisbane. That would really kick the region up a notch.

- Council should cover the city in fibre.

- Drive population growth in Ipswich, Toowoomba, and both coasts, with better transport connections to all.

- DLS in SEQ.

There is so much potential in the region we just need to be activate it. And Brisbane is at just the right size to do it as well. Not too big that we're stuck in our ways, and not too small that nothing is happening.

In saying all that, it seems my biggest wish/fantasy might be starting with splitting the state into SEQ/NQ. hahaha

·
Banned
672 Posts
The corner area between Ann and Wickham st at Skyring Terrace to become Australia's version of Times Square, think loads of billboards, lighting+advertising, demolish half the Harvey Norman building to create a central square there.

The block of land bordered by Southern Cross Way and the Gateway Motorway with Kedron Brook running through it to be excavated and turned into a large harbour, area to be called Brisbane Docklands, with new apartments and retail precinct and a large boating moor.

Musgrave Park expanded by demolishing the Swim Centre and High School sports centre, and fully landscape it into something actually nice, comparable to the South Bank Parklands.

Replace plain street lights in CBD with more ornate heritage style lamp posts (Yes I still support this- I don't think it's as controversial as people think just look at any American city that does this)

·
Registered
41 Posts
The corner area between Ann and Wickham st at Skyring Terrace to become Australia's version of Times Square, think loads of billboards, lighting+advertising, demolish half the Harvey Norman building to create a central square there.
It's a bit out of the way isn't it? Barely any pedestrian traffic and not much for transport links that make Times Square/Piccadilly Circus types of developments successful.

·
Registered
543 Posts
- complete the busway network
-Build a metro linking Hamilton (even Airport, and demolish AirTrain Link) with UQ via Bulimba, Newstead/Valley, CBD and Southbank/West End
- Build the Western Bypass to finally complete a ring road around Brisbane
- Build High Speed rail linking Toowoomba, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast with Brisbane
- Complete the Albert Street Pedestrian Green spine
- Design requirement that buildings must cover hard surfaces with plants/trees i.e. Rooftops, Shopping Centre walls etc.
- Transfer all overhead wiring to underground
- Create design standard for shopping/retail centres to prioritise pedestrians and orients building to face the street as opposed to the carpark being a major foucs.
- Trees, trees, trees!!! All new roads banned from having concrete medians and traffic islands where possible and create more tree cover along all roads
- Major Roads e.g. Logan Road turned into a medium/high density corridors with high frequency bus lanes and bike lanes.
- Create cut and cover bypasses for major commercial centres i.e Gympie Road under Chermside and Kessels Road under Upper Mount Gravatt
- Street drainage to be turned onto bio swales to filter stormwater more effectively especially along streets surrounding creeks and rivers
- Create more South Bank style public beaches along the river at Hamilton, Bulimba and Tennyson
- Build more pedestrian bridges across the River
- Open air rights over train stations to allow proper TOD's to be constructed

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Musgrave Park expanded by demolishing the Swim Centre and High School sports centre, and fully landscape it into something actually nice, comparable to the South Bank Parklands.

Replace plain street lights in CBD with more ornate heritage style lamp posts
They have proposed and funded a new Aquatic centre at Musgrave Park. Work to begin Autumn 2019. Some heritage lighting spotted around with LED warm light bulbs to illuminate them would be good.

Traffic calming on Skyring Terrace to make it more bike and pedestrian friendly. I am sure that the road attracts horns from the suburbs late night and weekends. Modified exhausts and motor cycle brigades that I see there on the weekends is surely not local traffic.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
- complete the busway network
-Build a metro linking Hamilton (even Airport, and demolish AirTrain Link) with UQ via Bulimba, Newstead/Valley, CBD and Southbank/West End
- Build the Western Bypass to finally complete a ring road around Brisbane
- Build High Speed rail linking Toowoomba, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast with Brisbane
- Complete the Albert Street Pedestrian Green spine
- Design requirement that buildings must cover hard surfaces with plants/trees i.e. Rooftops, Shopping Centre walls etc.
- Transfer all overhead wiring to underground
- Create design standard for shopping/retail centres to prioritise pedestrians and orients building to face the street as opposed to the carpark being a major foucs.
- Trees, trees, trees!!! All new roads banned from having concrete medians and traffic islands where possible and create more tree cover along all roads
- Major Roads e.g. Logan Road turned into a medium/high density corridors with high frequency bus lanes and bike lanes.
- Create cut and cover bypasses for major commercial centres i.e Gympie Road under Chermside and Kessels Road under Upper Mount Gravatt
- Street drainage to be turned onto bio swales to filter stormwater more effectively especially along streets surrounding creeks and rivers
- Create more South Bank style public beaches along the river at Hamilton, Bulimba and Tennyson
- Build more pedestrian bridges across the River
- Open air rights over train stations to allow proper TOD's to be constructed
Right on

1 - 20 of 260 Posts