Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,708 Posts
Shrewsbury town centre seems to be doing well in this regard at the moment for a smallish town (about 70,000 pop). The big chain shops are mostly located in the two shopping centres and one street in the town as well as a couple of out of town retail parks. The rest of the town centre is pretty much all independent shops, musical instrument shops, wine merchants, clothing and footwear, organic food and delicatessans, furniture and antique shops, cafes and restaurants etc.

·
Super Moderator
23,708 Posts
oscar9 said:
To be honest I haven't bought anything from subways but I dont think its a good thing that these outlets are starting to monopolise our town and city centres at the expense of smaller and (probably) better quality independant businesses.The other point I was making is how most town centres all look the same with that black and gold street furniture and cheap red brick paving....do they all use the same people to design these parts of the town centres...mainly the pedestrianised areas as theres no character or origanality , maybee some places may have kept their distinctivness like Shrewsbury as someone says but to me its getting worse and its something I dont notice when in Europe.Does anyone know if subway are American...wouldn't surprise me
Yes Subway are American, many European countries also have national chains that dominate town centres but if you're not familiar with them they probably don't look so monotonous.

·
Super Moderator
23,708 Posts
In the past year Shrewsbury's Burger King has closed down and most of the new shops and eateries opening in the town centre have been independents, maybe people are finally getting a bit sick of homogenity?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts