Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idiot People Confusing The USA State of Georgia With The Republic Of Georgia. Jay Leno has been talking about how stuiped somepeople can be since The President went to visit the Republic of Georgia, some people think thats the state of Georgia.

I have one question how could you not know that Georgia is a State in The United States of America, and that the Republic of Georgia is a Country?

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
maybe they failed geography? or is the average stereotypical dumb american who simply doesn't care?

-

·
Registered
93 Posts
Surely, you don't really have such high hopes for all of humanity... that they all would recognize such a simple fact.

Stuff like this doesn't surprise me anymore.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, New Orleans has the WestBank--basically whatever's across the River from downtown.

I knew New Orleanians who would hear reports of rioting and suicide bombers on the WestBank--in the Mideast--and think it was going on in Gretna LA.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The US has to put more emphasis on teaching international geography and world issues. But don't feel too bad. Even newspapers were mixing them up! Just be glad you know the difference, and if you feel like it, steer them in the right direction.

And for the record, I'd much rather visit the State of Georgia than the Republic of Georgia.

·
18,281 Posts
there is a swimmer on the university of delaware (my swim team up until last year) that's from the republic of georgia. every time someone asks him where he's from, he answers "republic of georgia". usually, the person then replies "how close do you live to atlanta?" he either replies with "no, georgia is in asia", or, "about 6000 miles away". many people don't even know the republic of georgia exists.

·
18,281 Posts
people always have no clue about some of the us states. when i tell people from different parts of the country where i'm from (i always say "i'm from delaware"; it's small enough that i can be somewhat specific with this answer), they are almost always clueless. they reply with "the city?" (meaning, delaware, ohio", or "what is delaware?" (it's a state nitwit), or a lame attempt to guess where delaware is ("isn't that near maine?"; "no, you're thnking of new hampshire"). eventually, i have to tell people that i live near philly. either that, or i exlpain where delaware is: "have you ever heard of philadelphia? well, the city i live in, wilmington, de, is about 30 miles away from philly."

when will these dopes learn basic geography? an average 6 year old could identify all the states if he studied them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know someone who thought New Mexico was apart of Mexico. Years ago, but now its a state in the US. Its scary to see just how much people don't know about there own country.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A call-center ticket agent for the 1996 Atlanta Olympics apparantly told someone from New Mexico that they would have to call the international reservation number, and when they responded by emphasizing the NEW, she told them that how old their country was wasn't the issue, and they would still have to call international reservations.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
citykid09 said:
I know someone who thought New Mexico was apart of Mexico. Years ago, but now its a state in the US. Its scary to see just how much people don't know about there own country.
"heyyy...there's a NEW Mexico..." - homer simpson

-

·
in action
2,120 Posts
Hehehe, nice ;) When I was visiting the US many people asked me where I am from and after I tell I'm from Lithuania there were many different replies. The top one was that Lithuania is near Laos :D

Anyway, I thinks it's the problem only for English-speaking world. In Lithuanian we say "Džordžija" [Georgia] for the state and "Gruzija" [Grusia] for the country.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Why are both places called Georgia? Im not familiar with the history or either Georgia's name origin.
Where were both names derived from?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would assume that Georgia USA was derived from King George (I or II ???)of England, since that area was typically very sympathetic to the British crown.

I have no idea about former Soviet Georgia, but I would assume Georgia is just a bastardization of it's native name to make it sound familiar to English speakers.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
vid said:
And for the record, I'd much rather visit the State of Georgia than the Republic of Georgia.
b/c TheBrad lives there, right? :hilarious

the state of "Jawr-jah" used to be a debtor's colony...heh. :bash:

-

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
here's another funny thing about this thread...

shouldn't it be "stupid people," or better yet, "idiots" in the title?

hmm...poor knowledge of geography and world events vs. poor use of language.

:bash:

-

·
Registered
4 Posts
get over it

Hey Guys, that's not a new thing you know. Just get over it. You are very right- so many of them have no idea "what the hell Georgia republic is", but just think- they don't care.
Not everybody is equally smart and educated, and i'd say- it's their problem.

*****that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Albertville, Alabama had lots of people calling asking for tickets for the 1992 Winter Olympics which were held in Albertville, France. You would think that people would know that the Winter Olympics aren't going to be held in the Southern US and that if it was, you'd hear a lot about it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts