SkyscraperCity banner

If the nation's capital moved, what city would make the best capital?

• Boston

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • NYC

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Chicago

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 7 15.2%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If there was a proposal to move the nation's capital from Washington, D.C., which city would make the best capital?

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I'm confused as to why/how you narrowed it down to only those cities. Where's Los Angeles and San Francisco?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
None of those.

I propose if that ever happened, we make a new city in the middle of the country. I don't think that it would be a good idea to put the capital in an already existing major city. Hey, DC was master planned as a mid-point at it's time. If it was moved, we should do the same thing...but in a updated format.
I like this idea

·
Banned
892 Posts
If there was some sort of coastal flooding due to global warming, and the capital HAD to be moved, I'd say put it in KC (I'm a bit biased of course). I don't believe in building a brand new city from scratch. That would costs billions/maybe trillions of dollars and would be a waste when there are plenty of already viable cities like KC, STL, MPLS, Chicago, etc. in existence. If you don't want any visitors to the nation's capital, then locate it in Nebraska, the Dakotas, or western KS.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Well, I voted Boston, because it is just so damn beautiful.
But for location, I probably would have chose Chicago, its not nearly as easy to get to, and global warming wont destroy it! YAY! XD

·
Registered
222 Posts
Denver, because it's in the interior of the country (harder for foreigners to attack, unlike coastal cities like New York and Los Angeles, or the most vulnerable of them all, Miami).

Plus it has the added bonus of already being home to many major federal government institutions and facilities already, including the Denver Mint, a Fed. Reserve Bank, the Air Force academy, and so on.

·
Journeyman
16,791 Posts
The funny thing is Denver doesn't have any more federal employees per capita than many other cities.

If we moved the capital, it would be helpful to have a location relatively non-suceptible to military attack and natural disasters. A good airport is a necessity. Since you wouldn't want to displace an existing neighborhood, you'd want a new campus on undeveloped/underdeveloped property, but you'd want it to be fairly central and with the potential for good transit service and short commutes from existing neighborhoods.

Therefore, Denver would be a fine place for it. Fitzsimmons is out, but maybe there's room at Lowry, and certainly there's room at Stapleton. Another option would be redoing most of the existing Federal Campus on the west end of town. The Central Platte Valley would be another candidate but there probably isn't enough room anymore and it's also flood-suceptible.

Kansas City would be fine too, and it's near the center of the US population, but tornados would be a threat. As for location, how about that little airport just north of Downtown along the river?

·
Downtown San Jose
1,444 Posts
Hawaii: the center of the empire they're trying to create.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts