SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Reaper
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what would be at the top of people's lists to be demolished or renovated and what they would like to see done with what they've chosen.

Feel free to put more than one if you can't decide :).

For me it'd have to be the white building that sticks out to the right ish of the Thistle from Tower bridge, I dont know what its called its just a horribly tacky looking building with greenhouses on top. I can't stand it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just wondering what would be at the top of people's lists to be demolished or renovated and what they would like to see done with what they've chosen.

Feel free to put more than one if you can't decide :).

For me it'd have to be the white building that sticks out to the right ish of the Thistle from Tower bridge, I dont know what its called its just a horribly tacky looking building with greenhouses on top. I can't stand it.
Think that is just about to be redeveloped, or it's the building next door. I work in the office next to St Katherine Docks entrance, and scaffolding has gone up on the 80's building a couple of hundred feet down the road.

·
Reaper
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think that is just about to be redeveloped, or it's the building next door. I work in the office next to St Katherine Docks entrance, and scaffolding has gone up on the 80's building a couple of hundred feet down the road.
This is great news if true.

Just found out the building I was talking about is News Internationals HQ, not exactly a redeeming feature :L.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would like to demolish (I dont know the names of the buildings) many of the bland looking groundscrapers in the City and replace them shiny soaring glass skyscrapers. I would especially like to get rid of some of the 80's looking crap along the thames and replace with either skyscrapers or just a big green park

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You looked past the Thistle to find an ugly building behind??

·
cartoon policeman
3,663 Posts
Yeah the Guoman hotel would be high on my list. Along with Guy's tower (the reclad is no solution) and a host of council estates in south London which need the Kidbrooke treatment.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah the Guoman hotel would be high on my list.
It has to be top of my list now. Easily the most pig-ugly building surrounding Tower Bridge. In its defence, they could have made it even worse, as numerous other buildings upstream on the Thames demonstrate. (Such as that building the road travels under near Southwark Bridge)

·
ALAS POOR DORIC
123 Posts
There are so many shockers I am spoilt for choice - but my No.1 would be Baynard House on Queen Victoria Street. Not just because I feel all brutalist 70's architecture should be banished from the face of this country - but mainly because it has such prominence on the river front. It has ruined the view of St Pauls from the Southbank.

Surely it's days must be numbered? Those poor bloody people who have to work in there must suffer from all manner of mental problems.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The Hilton hotel next to Tower Bridge and opposite the Tower of London...its a horrid building, its not even dynamic in its brutalist architecture..its appalling on the outside and just as un imaginative on the inside..its naff, and over run by rats....
Demolish it...get rid...

·
Registered
869 Posts
There are so many shockers I am spoilt for choice - but my No.1 would be Baynard House on Queen Victoria Street. Not just because I feel all brutalist 70's architecture should be banished from the face of this country - but mainly because it has such prominence on the river front. It has ruined the view of St Pauls from the Southbank.

Surely it's days must be numbered? Those poor bloody people who have to work in there must suffer from all manner of mental problems.
That's the one I meant earlier. There is an elevation which is actually worse (if that were possible) than the river frontage.

It's the dismal raised 'square' which is home to this rather soviet looking sculpture:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&ie=UTF-8&q=Baynard+House+Southwark&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=Baynard+House&hnear=0x4876035a26b7f145:0xd1c47a2b70881ec2,Southwark&cid=0,0,350892131236163893&ei=PjjXT7jvIqep0QWfpqW0BA&oi=local_result&ved=0CAoQ_BIwAw

Check this picture out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macspite/2143602305/

Just imagine how much joy fills your soul as you sit on those lonely looking grey benches sheltered by a forbidding black slab of concrete. They probably have free knives underneath so you can end it all, which is how you'll feel after 10 minutes in this 'garden'. I must remember to go there if I want to commit suicide.

Just because you can build a nuclear bunker in London, doesn't mean you should!

·
Registered
740 Posts
There are a number I would demolish.

As a few people have said i would get rid of the Guoman Hotel by Tower Bridge it just looks way out of place for such a prominent site.

The Baynard house building is another eyesore but does serve a purpose still....its the main telephone exchange for the Square Mile and surrounding areas so unless you wanna spend millions moving it or trying to hide it then we are stuck with it.....but I will say one thing about the area surrounding it....its all bleak and brutal with the roads and tunnels and railway, and even as a planner/designer I wouldn't know how to improve it.

I'm OK with SeaContainers House it could just do with a lick of paint and a bit of care.

There are plenty of remnants of 50/60's concrete constructions that are now showing there age and could do with either demolishing or at least tidying up and cladding. The top of my list being the area around London Bridge station and Tooley Street.

One building I would like to see gone is the monstrosity is the one on the South Side of Blackfriars Bridge- its another of those concrete monoliths- I think its called Sampson House, you pass right by it on the train out of Blackfriars....

Riverside buildings and those at important/well used junctions should really be top-notch not some poorly maintained concrete monolith.....that doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the brutalist style concrete buildings....I love the Barbican, and Trellick Tower, but they are maintained and cared for.....there are plenty that aren't.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts