would you build a tasty, comprehensive monorail project....​
.​
.​
or do a number of things? :)

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd dump a Billion into the redesign of Griffith Park, provided I get to sign off on some of my ideas for it, ......... and have final say.​
I estimate the project would cost about 4 Billion.​
I'd give the first Billion, and be there with my chrome, shovel-ready shovel for ground breaking :)
(That's just one of my ideas)​

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Exercise our power of eminent domain by converting all those damn golf courses into large public parks.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Eventhough I'd want to give it all to the Subway to the Sea, I'd end up using it to successfully campaign to overturn the minimum parking requirements in the city so that developers could build denser and taller. I would also use it to push another Prop H in the city which would shoehorn dense affordable housing in and around transit lines.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ Yup, the Subway to the Sea. Another billion dollars would probably be enough to get it to Santa Monica by 2020.

·
5,837 Posts
I would probably spend it on snypers to take out members of the Port Authority blocking Silverstiend at the door @ the WTC redevelopment. Billion dollars should be enough to snipe out those skells.

·
Registered
265 Posts
With a billion dollars I would fix up the LA River although it will take a lot more than $1 Billion but at least maybe get the first phase rolling.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
I'd run for mayor, cut taxes and cut spending. I'd campaign for easier zoning laws and tolls on the freeways and market based on-street parking. Then I'd campaign for bus/bike lanes on all major thoroughfares and much wider sidewalks throughout the city.

That would solve a lot of the problems in this city, and it wouldn't take a billion, so I'd probably be pocketing a lot of money for myself.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
i don't know if i could do anything with a billion dollars... but if i were God...

i'd finish the 710 freeway and give los angeles the abandoned century city freeway.

i'd take out the san fernando valley (except the southern few good blocks) and put the world's largest capacity airport in it connected directly with a red line extention from north hollywood (might be a few miles long).

i'd get rid of the most strict (and blasphemous) building requirements so developers can actually do something here. plus lower taxes so more businesses can afford to headquarter here.

have way more affordable housing downtown (seriously, a nurse can barely afford the rent here on their own).

just re-do pershing square... just... redo it.

i'd like to see the subway to sea, downtown connector, and the mta's 20+ year plans completed.

high speed rail (around 300mph) in place in the state and nevada with no unnecessary transfers.

2 pro football teams (industry and downtown).

L.A. river at it's fullest potential.

south park as a real big big big times square west (as the slogan goes).

a world class supertall and a skyline to match in density.

there... but since i'm not God, i'll take 1 billion and invest in Chinese stocks. then after 50 years i'll do those things. i don't think L.A. will get very far from today anyways at our current pace (especially after looking at Metro's latest rail timeline).

·
Registered
834 Posts
i think i would build park fifth then use the profits to buy the omni hotel and build a waldalf astoria or plaza west hotel there. maybe around 1100ft.

·
Or is it?
10,769 Posts
Okay but now if I really had money to spend on the city...

-I would expand the subway to west Los Angeles/Santa Monica ( after I bribe all NIMBYs )

-Pay everyone to go take English lessons.. even basic ( cause there are people here, who's been living here for a decade, that can't even count up to ten )

I am out of ideas right now ALREADY..

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
I would either:

1) Build another needed subway line somewhere.

2) Refurbish the Queen Mary in Long Beach and try to recreate the old Pike that was torn down as much as possible with the QM as the centerpiece. Any other monies left available (if any) would be spent on destroying the breakwater in Long Beach in order to make it a viable beach for the people of Long Beach to use.

3) Build a monument in the hills somewhere. Or off the sea in Long Beach somewhere.

4) Build a mixed-use stadium near L.A. Live and move a football team and the Galaxy in there.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
3) Build a monument in the hills somewhere. Or off the sea in Long Beach somewhere.
you know the statue of Jesus in Rio de Janeiro? we need something like that on Valos Verdes. Maybe 2 or 3 angels intertwined (kinda like the one at the grove, but needs to be different somehow). and that will be the international gateway into the city of angels (or metropolis of angels since it's in palos verdes).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts