Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compare your city to a band whose music reflects your city.

OKC - I'll go with the All-American Rejects, who are local. OKC is very top-40 listening, the best parts of town fly under the radar, and it does have a great, resurgent alt rock scene.

Tulsa - I'll go with the Flaming Lips. Very quirky and edgy, and not as well-known as some other bands. They've been doing their thing for decades and little has changed since the first act.

Dallas - I think Fleetwood Mac. Dallas just always feels very dated to me, 70s/80s, and Fleetwood Mac has a smooth, cold, steely feel..just like the Dallas skyline. All their songs are classics.

Houston - U2. Houston is big, modern, and has more of an international presence than any other southern city. Houston is diverse enough to have 3 relatively well-known nicknames...Space City USA, Bayou City, Oil Capitol of the World.

Austin - I'd have to say the Butthole Surfers. It sprung up on people's radar in the 90s, and 85% of the Butthole Surfers' fanbase probably resides in Austin.

San Antonio - even though they're from near Houston, ZZ Top. San Antone is quintessential Tejas...the good, the bad, and the ugly. Go strut your stuff on the Riverwalk in your cheap sunglasses.

New Orleans - Louis Armstrong..no brainer.

Memphis - another no-brainer..Memphis local, B.B. King, who got his start on Bealse Street and owned a blues club later.

Nashville - trying hard not to name a country artist, I'm just going tohave to go with a Nashville band, Kings of Leon. They're the rage at the moment, their songs are gritty, and they aren't a country act.

Little Rock - I'd have to go with our nation's most famous saxaphone player. I'll let you guess who (hint: he's been spending time over around China lately)

Miami - Beyonce..fake, annoying, superficial copycat that is the reason I stopped listening to radio. Ugh.

Charlotte - lets go with Sarah McLaughlin (sp?). Her music is very airy and pretty..much like the soaring Charlotte skyline.

Atlanta - insert name of your favorite rapper, mine is Jay Z. They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing. The ATL is the cultural epicenter of the dirty new south, not to mention the home of Adult Swim.

Raleigh-Durham - Coldplay..being the Research Triangle, home of UNC, Duke, and NC State, there are a lot of college students from nice families here that do the expensive drugs..which make Coldplay somewhat bearable.

P.S. Absolutely no thought whatsoever went into any of these...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey, most Houstonians are very proud of their native Beyonce, though i doubt anybody from here is. She's one of our most famous Houston-born(and raised) persons,if not the most famous.

Agree with you on most of these, actually.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, most Houstonians are very proud of their native Beyonce, though i doubt anybody from here is. She's one of our most famous Houston-born(and raised) persons,if not the most famous.

Agree with you on most of these, actually.
Yeah and just because Hillary Duff is from Houston doesn't mean that her music best represents the city, either. Tons of beautiful women are from Houston. Beyonce, Duff, Jennifer Garner, Renee Zellweger, the girl from Gilmore Girls, Anna Nicole Smith, and probably more I can't think of..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah and just because Hillary Duff is from Houston doesn't mean that her music best represents the city, either. Tons of beautiful women are from Houston. Beyonce, Duff, Jennifer Garner, Renee Zellweger, the girl from Gilmore Girls, Anna Nicole Smith, and probably more I can't think of..
On our local news channels, every time they talk about Beyonce they mention that she was born here, or raised here.
"Houston native Beyonce...blah blah blah."
^^^^^^Thats how the news story starts out.

And i never said she should represent Houston, i just pointed out the fact that Houstonians are proud of her.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Baltimore:Either Charm City Devils or Airbourne.
Although Frank Zappa probably is what Baltimore is remembered for when it comes to music way back when.
:D

Columbia: Hootie and the Blowfish! :lol:

Greenville: Probably Buckcherry :lol:

Myrtle Beach: Embers

Spartanburg: Marshall Tucker Band

:D

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Oh good one Cashville! HAHAHA! You are just a riot, you...

Tulsa... Idk maybe Cross Canadian Ragweed. Which I think could apply to OKC also.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
When I think of New Orleans, I can see the Louis Armstrong side, which is a part of our heritage, but, I also know and see the Widespread Panic side, a band that has played this city over a dozen times and is returning, once again on Halloween ( http://thevoodooexperience.com/2009/index.php ). Widespread Panic is a band that has an unusually large following in this city, and at the same time, the band has a connection to this city that is fairly unique....after Katrina, they got very involved in recovery and got their hands dirty on more than one occasion.... It's like Green Day, who played here last Friday--and I went. They planned a day off the day before so they could play in this city (they told us so) and screamed to the crowd..."YOU ARE NEW ORLEANS!!!! THIS ISN'T ****IN CHARLOTTE OR THE REST OF AMERICA!!!!! YOU ARE NEW ORLEANSSSSSSS!!!!!!

·
devonian
135 Posts
Tulsa... Idk maybe Cross Canadian Ragweed.
i don't see it. how about for tulsa, the song oklahoma breakdown by stony larue. or the title at least lol.

No. I think CCR should stick to Stillwater testicle festivals.
better than the gay bars and emo music fests in norman. they call that "culture" in snorman.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
?

Sorry but I'm not aware of any "gay bars and emo music fests" in Norman. I am familiar with a lot of really good bars, and the Norman Music Festival.. If you think "gays 'n emos" is the extent of culture in Norman, I'd hate to see what the extent of culture in Stoolwater is. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think you're just condescending the fact that Norman is a friendly environment for all types of people, while jealous that Stillwater is not.

Oh and Boomer Sooner, my friend. :)

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Louisville... Well, My Morning Jacket would be the no brainer, but I like the fit of Rilo Kiley. A lot of chill, melodic-pop music that most people will never have the pleasure of discovering.

·
Banned
331 Posts
Houston - Ministry (mainly from "Land of Rape and Honey" up to and including "Filth Pig", and especially "Psalm 69"). Runner up might be Skinny Puppy...yes, Houston's soundtrack to me is very industrial/industrial metal - it complements the area nicely in my mind.

Good call on Butthole Surfers, SRG

1 - 20 of 52 Posts