SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
it is called switzerland of Morocco, it looks like a european city , it is unique with its special architecture and it is home of the first American University in Morocco; Al akhawayn University in Ifrane (AUI)

The city

AUI

·
Registered
494 Posts
AntonAmeneiro said:
Woah! now that's a truly picturesque town :) How far is it from Rabat or Casablanca? Is it easy to reach by train or bus?
You could take the train to Meknes (about 3.5 hours from Casablanca) then take a Bus there, it's not that far, not even an Hour by Bus I suppose.

Otherwise you can take a CTM bus directly from Casablanca/Rabat would take about 4 hours I think.

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
History of Ifrane
A small town situated in Morocco's Middle Atlas, Ifrane has been around for centuries. The earliest permanent settlement dates back from the 16th century when a community was established in the Tizguit valley. Just a little downstream from modern day Ifrane, you will find an area that is still very much inhabited by the descendants of Sidi 'Abd al-Salem who founded Ifrane.

In the regional Berber language the word 'yfran' is plural for 'cave' and when you explore the surrounding limestone plateaus you will find an abundance of them. During the town's founding days, many homes were carved out of the surrounding rock. Today there are no people living in these caves which are now used as mangers and store houses.

Modern Ifrane only truly began life around 1929 during the Protectorate period when the French decided to establish a 'hill station' here. The city rests on an elevation of 1600m above sea-level and is surrounded by pine, cedar and oak forests which makes it a relatively cool city. As a result, many tourists from other parts of Morocco come here during the hot summer months to escape the heat. Perhaps the most distinguishable trait of Ifrane is its unusual Alpine architectural style - quite out of character with the rest of Moroccan architecture.

During winter, Ifrane sees even more visitors as people flock here to try their hand at the snow-covered slopes or simply to enjoy the simple pleasure of snow. During the rest of the year, the town has a large student population who attend the Al Akhawayn University.

more pictures of ifrane

The Ifrane Lion is a famous landmark in the town. There are varying stories about who made the lion. It was supposedly created by a WWII prisoner.

Lac and rivers

Snow in Town

King Palace

·
Rbati
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
harkerb said:
:lol: I dont believe for one second that that could be in Morocco! Snow, green, water? It will take major convincing!!
Did you think that Morocco was a desert? :laugh:

ps: there is ski stations near Ifrane...

·
Registered
494 Posts
harkerb said:
:lol: I dont believe for one second that that could be in Morocco! Snow, green, water? It will take major convincing!!
You better believe it, the majority of the moroccan population is concentrated around non-desertic areas. Also Oukameidan (near Marrakech) is being developped into the only true ski station in Africa...

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Jeez, still unbelievable. Sure those pictures werent taken in Germany?? And I thought South Africa was the only african country that get some snow (besides the peaks of Kilimanjaro). point to mention: We have 2 ski resorts in SA, known to be the only ones in Africa.

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
harkerb said:
Jeez, still unbelievable. Sure those pictures werent taken in Germany?? And I thought South Africa was the only african country that get some snow (besides the peaks of Kilimanjaro). point to mention: We have 2 ski resorts in SA, known to be the only ones in Africa.
here are some pictures i took last winter when i went skiing in michlifen (near ifrane)
sorry for the quality of the pictures. i took them using my cell phone

·
Rbati
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
harkerb said:
Don't believe all what people say! :)
ps: there is also little ski stations in Algeria and Tunisia ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
why is there no developmental projects??

beautiful setting!
too bad we dont hear of any development plans for Ifrane. It definitely deserves one! Or is it, its charm that makes it so special???

Ive never heard of projects launched there, its too bad. Also, could give new face to Morocco. Perhaps rivalize with Marrakech style. Or perhaps target rich Africans, Arabs. Show them the Alps while in Africa!!

·
Rbati
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
harkerb said:
Jeez, still unbelievable. Sure those pictures werent taken in Germany??
Just look at the first post of the thread... did you ever see a german town with locations indicated in Arabic and mosques? :laugh:
Ps: Please stop comparaisons between S-A and Morocco...

·
Registered
117 Posts
BEauuutifffull

Beautiful pics.. Simply amazing. its crazy the disparities in Morocco. From the water surplus of Ifrane to the great water stress of the desert in such a small distance!

1 - 20 of 529 Posts