Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Buka Pintu
23,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to Sevenoaks (Small market town just outside of London).Near Sevenoaks is a medieval house which I always wanted to see...Well today I saw it.
Its quite a walk from the town to the house - about 6-7 miles.I had to walk through fields and ancient forests (I got lost in one on my way back to the station!)but the weather was good so I enjoyed my long walk.
Anyway...

Ightham Mote is a rare surviving example of a moated medieval manor house dating from the early part of the 14th-century with important later additions and alterations.The earliest building phase included the Great Hall Crypt Old Chapel and two Solars.
The builder of Ightham Mote is as yet unknown but the first known owner was Sir Thomas Cawne (c1360-1374).A series of owners have each made an impact to varying degrees upon both the interior and exterior of the house.Most notable of these was Edward Haut (1487-1519) who enclosed the Courtyard and constructed the cottage range.
A Grade I listed building and in part a Scheduled Ancient Monument Ightham Mote is according to Pevsner 'the most complete small medieval manor house in the country' and provides a remarkable picture of architectural development over more than five centuries.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Very very good quality pictures - and amazing architecture. In Great Britain have seen "only" London (because that is a lot). But would be happy to spend a vacation driving around and looking around. Great Britain is amazing and very friendly IMHO.

Btw. due to my work I am in London rather often. Would be fun to meet with some Balts there one day :D.

·
Stas Stolfat
618 Posts
Nice place! I like it!
What's with the fella in the eleventh picture, is he sleepin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts