1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
13,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

IKEA anchors RM8b Penang integrated shopping haven to be built in 2015
BY OPALYN MOK
SEPTEMBER 3, 2014

INCREASE TEXT DECREASE TEXT RESET TEXT PRINT ARTICLE
Ikano Pte Ltd managing director Christian Rojkjaer said they will first conduct an elaborate study and analysis before construction work on the project commences. ― Picture by K.E.Ooi

GEORGE TOWN, Sept 3 ― Developer Aspen Vision Land, IKEA franchisee Ikano Pte Ltd and the Penang Development Corporation (PDC) have entered an agreement for a RM8 billion integrated development in Batu Kawan that will be built around the Swedish furniture icon.

The massive project will be headlined by a regional integrated shopping haven anchored by IKEA, and include a mixed development of residences, offices, medical facilities, a 20-acre park, an international school, standalone retail outlets and an integrated central transportation hub for Seberang Perai.

With the signing of the agreement this morning, Aspen and Ikano can immediately start preliminary measures such as conducting impact studies and market surveys before commencement of the project.

“We are opening up a full-sized IKEA store here so we will need an elaborate study to be completed first before works can begin,” Ikano managing director Christian Rojkjaer said at a press conference after the signing ceremony at the Royale Bintang Hotel here.

The first phase of the project will consist of the integrated shopping mall anchored by IKEA and is expected to start by the end of next year, with completion scheduled for 2018.

The second phase will include other components such as mixed development, high rise commercial buildings, school, office complex, healthcare facilities and a hotel. The entire project will take up to 10 years to complete.

The project is one of several planned in Batu Kawan, including a RM1 billion project consisting of an upmarket outlet shopping mall, a 300-room international-class hotel and a branch campus of Britain’s University of Hull.

The rising demand for land and projects based in Batu Kawan is due to the opening of the Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah bridge, which connects the small township to Batu Maung on the island.

Aspen and Ikano jointly bought 245 acres of land from PDC for RM483.95 million for the project.

The IKEA store and the first phase of the shopping mall will take up 30 acres while another 45 acres will be set aside for phase two of the shopping mall; the remaining 170 acres will be for mixed development.

Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng, who witnessed the signing, said the whole development is in line with the state’s efforts to attract catalyst projects for Batu Kawan and the state.

The state, through PDC, also plans to build 11,800 units of public and affordable housing in the area.

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...aven-to-be-built-in-2015#sthash.eKhOZn76.dpuf

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Ikea Cheras to open in November

KUALA LUMPUR: Swedish furniture giant, IKEA, which will open its second store in Cheras soon, plans to expand further and set up operations in Johor and Penang.

IKEA Retail Director for Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, Mike King, said the company was currently searching for locations to set up the stores in Johor and Penang.

"We are working on possible sites for the stores in both states. It is likely to be Johor first and then Penang. I would say that the stores will be opened within this decade," he told reporters at the pre-launch of IKEA Cheras here today.

Asked if IKEA also planned to open stores in Sabah and Sarawak, King said the company was always looking at expanding its business but has not made any decision yet.

IKEA today announced that it would be opening its second store in Jalan Cochrane in Cheras by end of November this year.

With the opening of IKEA Cheras, IKEA would have five stores in South-East Asia, with two in Malaysia, two in Singapore and one in Thailand.

http://english.astroawani.com/business-news/ikea-cheras-open-november-74808

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
^^ Hhmmm, thought that IKEA Batu Kawan (Penang) is already under construction lor - so how come IKEA Johor will be next ???

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
^^

I dont know much about that IKEA Penang but I do know that AEON Tebrau City is currently undergoing a massive expansion that will be completed around September 2016. Rumor said that IKEA will become the anchor tenant for the new block. I'm not really sure. Perhaps forumers in Iskandar thread can give us more info about this IKEA Johor.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
^^ Yeah but it seems that the IKEA director is saying they're still seaching for 'locations' for both Penang & Johor whereas WE know otherwise - confusing a bit lor eh ???

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think the land opposite jusco bukit Indah will be perfect for ikea johor Bahru.

It's easily assessible via 1st link via coastal highway, 2nd link and also tebrau highway via Perling toll.

The land is huge enuf for an integrated development for ikea, few condos, even offices and some nice shop houses and even 1-2 more 5 stars hotels.

Imagine ikea, 50 storey iconic condo tower and hotels like Pullman or Four Point there, with another shopping mall that link to jusco, either via an underground pass or overhead bridge.

The roads and township in bukit Indah are also better plan compared to tebrau region and with medini and Danga bay coming up nicely bukit Indah offers the best location for Ikea.

Tebrau is just too messy and congested I feel and very far for ppl living in the other end to travel there.

Unless the pasir gudang highway is upgraded to 2nd link highway standard I still feel the land opposite jusco bukit Indah is the best location.

·
Arki loves me too
1,406 Posts
Agree with xtremesportx. West side which closer to Nusajaya, Danga Bay etc is better location for IKEA. At least a big one in here, small one in Austin side. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
From previous rumors I don't think Ikea will shift from Tebrau (A lot people claim that the land opposite Aeon Tebrau belong to Ikea). If they really shift to Iskandar area near 2nd link then sure the project will drag a few more years again because need to re-discuss again regarding the land, project, plan and bla bla bla bla approvals.

h t t p://vyrec.com/ikea-akan-tiba-di-johor-bahru/

h t t p://tjarc.com/15-ikea-tebrau-sc.html

h t t p://sg.pagenation.com/sin/Ikea%20Johor%20Bahru_103.7988_1.5513.map

·
Registered
35 Posts
In Plenitude Tebrau Sdn Bhd main page, they post the master plan of Taman Desa Tebrau with IKEA is inside the plan. Source claim Plenitude Sdn Bhd had sell the land to Ikea in 2009.

h t t p ://w w w.plenitude.com.my/desatebrau/properties.html

h t t p://w w w.starproperty.my/index.php/articles/investment/johor-ikea-anticipated-by-property-players/

But till now the master plan only stated "Upcoming" for Ikea.

Aeon Tebrau phase 1 expansion for upgrading the car park already complete, now they going for phase 2 expansion. But when will Ikea start the construction ? nobody know.

h t t p ://w w w.sabrinatajudin.com/2015/03/ikea-in-johor-bahru-johor.html

1 - 20 of 370 Posts